Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irrational Pocket Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The 1903 is a bit on the big side, especially for modern pockets. But, the antiquated safety system does make for the possibility of an unintended discharge, so maybe not so practical.
    Not as much big as you'd think. The shape and weight distribution actually disappears and carrys better than a j frame in khakis or dress pants. The slide goes back a fair way behind the grip which makes it ride low and breaks up the print. The grip itself is fairly compact for minimal print too. Plus the overall pistol is slender as a young grass blade. The shape and non existent sights also make draws pretty snag free. Back when though I didn't know about their drop issues. Wouldn't do it today or condition 3 only if I had to.

Back on target though: four barrels have to be at least four times more irrational than one. COP or bust.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Not as much big as you'd think. The shape and weight distribution actually disappears and carrys better than a j frame in khakis or dress pants. The slide goes back a fair way behind the grip which makes it ride low and breaks up the print. The grip itself is fairly compact for minimal print too. Plus the overall pistol is slender as a young grass blade. The shape and non existent sights also make draws pretty snag free. Back when though I didn't know about their drop issues. Wouldn't do it today or condition 3 only if I had to.

Back on target though: four barrels have to be at least four times more irrational than one. COP or bust.
    Don't forget that not only do I have a 1903 (& a 1908), but I've also pocket carried it for a bit. Until the day I realized that it was probably not the safest thing to carry in a pocket.

ETA: thread needs photos.
    Name:  20170706_124515.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  47.8 KB
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    First choice would be a Russian MSP with silent piston cartridges, double cartridge clip loading and an external cocking lever under the triggerguard. But, the ATF says I can’t have one because nobody will be able to hear me shoot my eye out.

Name:  52C4646D-1216-4452-95DD-C2E954686FC5.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  99D4F99C-A6F3-43E1-BEE4-4F14D4959E8B.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  61.1 KB

So, I’ll go with the Heizer defense Pak 1 and some “Russian match” ammo with a 124gr bullet loaded to around 500-600 FPS with trail boss.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Definitely the bond arms, but spring loaded and up my sleeve with 185 gr SWCs going 700 fps.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Don't forget that not only do I have a 1903 (& a 1908), but I've also pocket carried it for a bit. Until the day I realized that it was probably not the safest thing to carry in a pocket.

ETA: thread needs photos.
    Name:  20170706_124515.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  47.8 KB
    :-)

Name:  20210505_195341.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  42.9 KB

I'm figuring the numbers and we get but one more of us 1903 owners and we're just this shy of forming a squad of trench raiders...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Not having owned or shot any of them, out of your choices, I'd rank them as:

1) COP 357 - not really pocket gun sized, but at least it's multi-shot in a centerfire pistol caliber.
    2) NAA Mini in 22 Short, 22LR or 22 Magnum - multi shot, but it's rimfire.
    3) Bond Arms 45/410 Derringer - only two shots, but at least it's a centerfire pistol caliber.
    4) Heizer Defense PAK1 (7.62x39), or PAR1 (5.56) - a rifle caliber doesn't gain you anything out of that short barrel, and it's single shot.
    5) Lifecard .22LR - Probably a fun conversation piece, but if a single-shot .22LR isn't a dumb enough idea for a carry gun, let's make the shooter have to unfold it first!
    6) USFA 22LR Zip Gun - apparently it's an unreliable, unergonomic POS.

They'd all be pretty dumb choices to actually carry though.

NAA Ranger II and sidewinder!

As long as we are adding to irrational guns not on the original list.

I give you the worst of both worlds!

Name:  8D7E1973-04B7-4B2E-873E-7FBDF511D8B6.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  20406FEE-AC90-4AC3-8EC8-FE20FC363C77.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  82.8 KB

Let's see, have I mentioned my idea of taking my rusty top break S&W .38 lemon squeezer, cutting down the barrel, and adding a big dot style front and an actually visible rear lately?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    There was a time when less pocket options were available, and at least some choices were more rational than they are today.

Back when the only true pocket semiauto pistol above .22 or .25 caliber was the Seecamp .32, and acquiring one required waiting 3 years or paying scalper's prices, I needed something highly concealable for NPE carry. The .22 and .25 autos available at the time were often big for what they were, and had questionable reliability. Some people I respected carried .22 NAA mini revolvers, so I acquired a 1 1/8" barrel .22 lr.

These guns are built like Swiss watches, and are completely reliable. However, carrying them in a pocket without a holster risks damaging the cylinder bolt, so always use a pocket holster or other holster. With the hammer lowered into a notch between chambers in the rear face of the cylinder, safety is obvious. The intrinsic accuracy is impressive for a gun that size, but the terrible sight (front only, no rear) and short grip make obtaining that accuracy very difficult. Recoil has a definite affect on bullet placement, amounting to several inches at 15 feet. Penetration in wood was better than the .25 I briefly owned, which gave me more confidence in its effectiveness.

The best way I have found to obtain good accuracy is using the "boot" grip. This grip provides just enough hand engagement for good recoil control without significantly increasing the size that must be concealed. I also tried the oversize grip, but the huge increase in overall size negated the purpose of the gun.

The gun served as a backup gun and, when I really had to be discreet, as my only gun, until I acquired a Kel-Tec P-32.

If I were going to buy one today, I would give serious consideration to the PUG, for the .22 magnum caliber, slightly longer grip, and better sights.

While I would not rely on one as a primary gun today, it would be ideal in circumstances where concealment outweighs all other priorities. I have read of a few successful defensive uses of these guns.

I love miniguns but the small pocket carry I have now is a Glock 42 or maybe my Kel-Tec P32 (which has been surprisingly normal since I got back in 2003).

Name:  P5050080_LI.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  68.7 KB

User Tag List