Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Irrational Pocket Guns

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Thanks for inspiring irrational thoughts. Starting new thread to keep the other one from going off-track.

So, let's play a game; you get one of the below irrational, eccentric, or unconventional pocket guns. Which do you buy and why?

COP 357

Bond Arms 45/410 Derringer

Heizer Defense PAK1 (7.62x39), or PAR1 (5.56)

NAA Mini in 22 Short, 22LR or 22 Magnum

Lifecard .22LR

USFA 22LR Zip Gun
    Well, the COP is too large to be a pocket gun.

Bond Arms looks interesting, and I have some .45 Colt ammo. I think we may have some .410 ammo. Ammo matters!

Rifle cartridges with pocket-length barrels? No, thanks.

We have a useless NAA Mini, already in the safe. As the premise of the discussion something I would “buy,” well, I will not spend money on another NAA Mini, that will just be sitting in the safe.

The Lifecard and USFA Zipperhead gun, well, just no.

OK, Bond Arms it is.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, the COP is too large to be a pocket gun.
    They said that about the Colt New Service but did John Henry Fitzgerald let that stop him? No, sir! He persevered. And when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor what was in his pocket, I ask? Innovate, good sir, I say innovate! :-P
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    They said that about the Colt New Service but did John Henry Fitzgerald let that stop him? No, sir! He persevered. And when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor what was in his pocket, I ask? Innovate, good sir, I say innovate! :-P
    I think that Fitz innovated his pockets, in addition to Fitz-ing his revolvers.

Anyway, I considered this to be a thought exercise, not a serious carry gun discussion.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    "Germans?" "Forget it, he's rollin."
    Regards, Ted

Site Supporter
    I had a COP back in the mid '90s and it was horrible; heavy, bad trigger, kicked more than made sense, mostly would fire all four barrels in a row with four trigger pulls but jacked bullets always tumbled out of two of the barrels. Still I loved it and had wanted one ever since I first saw Blade Runner. Think I spent about two weeks pay on it. Sadly I was a broke college student with a dysfunctional girlfriend so it got sold. I wish that I would have kept it now just to shoot shot shells at snakes with (I just have this vision in my head of a kydex chest holster for it from Survival Sheath Systems and a row ofitty bitty blue and silver shotshells on loops ).

Speaking of pocket flash-bang grenades, there were two American Derringer company guns that lingered in a pawnshop near here for years and year in the late 90s; one a .30 carbine and one a .223. With the .223 the bullet tip was right about even with the end of the barrel. We always suspected that either one of those would clear a room with oneround of surplus ammo!

I have had a progression of NAA Minis and they may not be much but all mine always worked and a couple were surprisingly accurate. They are hugely popular down here as second (or third) guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Let's see, have I mentioned my idea of taking my rusty top break S&W .38 lemon squeezer, cutting down the barrel, and adding a big dot style front and an actually visible rear lately?
    Remind me to show you something in a month or so. I am waiting on my gunsmith .....

How Big Can a Pocket Gun Be?

If you wear tight jeans, then maybe you are limited to a mini revolver, but back in the day wearing straight-legged, full cut uniform trousers and a Pea-coat LEOs commonly carried a 6-shot .38 Special wheelgun in the strong-side hip pocket or hand warmer pocket. It's most important to "dress to the gun."

I was taught by the late Harry J. Archer over FIFTY years ago that an EDC pocket gun should not weigh much more than 20-ozs. Harry preferred "Six for Sure" over any 5-shooter, because a Colt D-frame or S&W K-frame are more manageable firing service loads in DA than a smaller J-frame Smith or Charter Arms and are more accurate at beyond "gorrilla in the phonebooth" distances.

Today just try to find a 6-shot .38 Special which weighs less than 20 ozs… A pre-1980 Colt D-frame Cobra or S&W Model 12 are the correct answer, but because they don’t make them anymore, you find a sturdy, unabused, used gun, then have it LTI'ed by your trusted gunsmith/ armorer and blessed for carry. Airweights are sure handy to carry! Just don’t abuse them with hot loads. Post-1960 steel-cylinder guns are durable enough for high volume use with standard-pressure .38 Special ammo.

While not generally considered +P capable, except for “limited use in extremis,” an occasional cylinder full is OK. Limit +P loads in the Airweights to not more than about 100 rounds, spread gently over the life of the gun, if you want it to last. Otherwise it will loosen up. Common practice was to carry +P ammo on duty, and to use standard-pressure ammo for training and practice. You were issued 18 rounds of duty +P ammo (six in the gun and two reloads) and this would be shot up during quarterly requals, the gun inspected by the department armorer, adjusted or repaired as needed, and replacement duty ammo issued.

My summer “shorts and Polo shirt” carry is a 2-inch S&W Model 12-2, round butt made in 1973. It weighs 18 ozs., empty, with Tyler T-grip adapter and Magna service stocks. I carry it in a Mika pocket holster. From fall until spring, it becomes my "New York Reload," being paired with a 2-inch, steel-frame Model 10-5, carried in the barn coat hand warmer pocket. At age 72 I can still quality with it over a Tactical Revolver Course.

A steel 2-inch round butt Model 10 weighs 30.5 ozs, while the alloy-frame 2-inch round butt Model 12 weighs a pound, empty, without its Tyler T-grip.

A steel frame S&W Model 10 with the skinny contour 4-inch "pencil" barrel weighs 34 ozs. whereas the 4-inch S&W Model 12 Airweight of same configuration weighs 20 ozs. A S&W Model 12 is worth seeking out on gun auction sites if you want a light, accurate six-shot, .38 Special revolver for your survival ruck or travel bag. Used guns in sound, shooter-grade, but not “collector” condition run from $300-600 depending upon condition, about half of what you pay for an equivalent Colt "Snake" gun. LNIB guns with the original factory tools and paperwork bring double that!

jesus christ.....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Another irrational thought- how about a new production snub top break "lemon squeezer" in .380acp (hey JCN!) with modern sights and stronger materials?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List