Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN’s Taurus 380 Snubbie review

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @03RN - IIRC, your reloads held a bit more than five rounds too.
    Well... I try not to conflate large battles with self defense but sometimes I cant help it.

If I need a reload nowadays I highly doubt ill be standing there like a magpul promo model.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I dont currently have a j frame. K is as small as I want.
    Here's my 3" M10 with 158s @ 950fps
    Sure, in a 3” K frame. But that’s a totally different ball of wax. We aren’t discussing what the best carry and ammo combination is.

The M380 is a tiny and light revolver. It’s like an airweight J-frame. It’s probably about half the weight of my 686+.

We’re talking about in an LCP kind of role.

Again, I’m not advocating for it. But that’s the niche I’m looking at exploring.

@03RN

This is like if a car reviewer was evaluating pros and cons of light trucks and someone kept telling them to step up to a F250.

Take it FWIW, there are a lot of people who carry J frames and LCPs.

That’s the context, not K frames.

Instead of a steel K, I’d personally take a scandium N framed 8-shot snub converted to 9mm.

But isn’t it great we have choices? We can choose to have 7 second revolver reloads or even wimpy ballistic light noisemaker handguns.

This thread and evaluation isn’t to discuss what our personal choices are or what’s optimal. Those are somewhat personal decisions. What you prioritize and don’t in a carry gun may be different than the next guy over.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @03RN

This is like if a car reviewer was evaluating pros and cons of light trucks and someone kept telling them to step up to a F250.

Take it FWIW, there are a lot of people who carry J frames and LCPs.

That’s the context, not K frames.

Instead of a steel K, I’d personally take a scandium N framed 8-shot snub converted to 9mm.

But isn’t it great we have choices? We can choose to have 7 second revolver reloads or even wimpy ballistic light noisemaker handguns.

This thread and evaluation isn’t to discuss what our personal choices are or what’s optimal. Those are somewhat personal decisions. What you prioritize and don’t in a carry gun may be different than the next guy over.
    If we’re going to liken it to cars, I’d probably give you the F250 with a lift on it for the larger gun, but I’d have to knock the Jframe and micro autos down to the Corolla/Civic/Jetta/Prius category.

@03RN
    Apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If we’re going to liken it to cars, I’d probably give you the F250 with a lift on it for the larger gun, but I’d have to knock the Jframe and micro autos down to the Corolla/Civic/Jetta/Prius category.
    Haha. In my head I was creating a metaphor about the guy who only needs to occasionally haul a small utility trailer but the hardcore truck guy who swears he will die if he tows with anything under 10k capacity enters into every thread and insists on pushing his own calculus on the scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Apparently
    I think by the very fact most of us here like revolvers puts us in an odd duck category.

No need to try and normalize our oddness. It’s a personal thing.

Haha. In my head I was creating a metaphor about the guy who only needs to occasionally haul a small utility trailer but the hardcore truck guy who swears he will die if he tows with anything under 10k capacity enters into every thread and insists on pushing his own calculus on the scenario.

I think by the very fact most of us here like revolvers puts us in an odd duck category.

No need to try and normalize our oddness. It’s a personal thing.

Ironically enough I started a thread in arfcom GD on the best trailer hitch for my lesberu.

JCN, I'm digging this thread. I get that you're just answering a question in your mind, not advocating the position. People forget that.

I'm also interested in these revolvers, as an abstract concept. I'm glad I can explore this vicariously through your experience.

Once you've fleshed out your experience with this revolver, it seems like a great choice to ream out to 9mm. My concern about milling .38/.357 cylinders to 9mm is that there's a lot of freebore that the bullet needs to pass before it clears the chamber and enters the throat. Does that expansion area reduce pressures noticeably? And that can't be good for accuracy. But reaming out a .380 revolver to 9mm gets rid of that issue. Looking at drawings, it looks like 9mm would fit in the moon clips.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    My concern about milling .38/.357 cylinders to 9mm is that there's a lot of freebore that the bullet needs to pass before it clears the chamber and enters the throat. Does that expansion area reduce pressures noticeably? And that can't be good for accuracy.
    Experience with various S&W and Colt .45 ACP revolvers is they have pretty good accuracy. Especially so the S&W's, even in examples with somewhat nasty barrel bores. Don't think the freebore in the cylinder has much impact on the accuracy front.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    JCN, I'm digging this thread. I get that you're just answering a question in your mind, not advocating the position. People forget that.

I'm also interested in these revolvers, as an abstract concept. I'm glad I can explore this vicariously through your experience.

Once you've fleshed out your experience with this revolver, it seems like a great choice to ream out to 9mm. My concern about milling .38/.357 cylinders to 9mm is that there's a lot of freebore that the bullet needs to pass before it clears the chamber and enters the throat. Does that expansion area reduce pressures noticeably? And that can't be good for accuracy. But reaming out a .380 revolver to 9mm gets rid of that issue. Looking at drawings, it looks like 9mm would fit in the moon clips.
    Thanks man, I’m not sure the Taurus will stand up to 9mm pressures as they are higher than 357 magnum IIRC.

I’m not sure you’d want to shoot 9mm out of a gun that light.

The Ruger LCR at 3 extra ounces is great and I’d just do that in a gun designed for it if I wanted 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Experience with various S&W and Colt .45 ACP revolvers is they have pretty good accuracy. Especially so the S&W's, even in examples with somewhat nasty barrel bores. Don't think the freebore in the cylinder has much impact on the accuracy front.
    I agree with this. My LCR9 makes velocities as high or higher than my P365. My Korth Sky Hawk in 9mm makes less. My converted 2.5” Nightguard (originally 356, now 9mm) is close to the Sky Hawk in velocities so while there is a little loss, it’s not much.

IMO the benefit of a purpose designed 380 or 9mm is being able to make the cylinder short and decrease overall length of the gun relative to effective barrel length.

Name:  125C2A53-5D41-470D-B75B-C81E7BE03D8F.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  39.2 KB

Got some Taurus springs... when I get a chance I’ll install them and see if I can split closer to an LCP.

User Tag List