Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN’s Taurus 380 Snubbie review

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The question is, are those loads 1) meeting the proper protocols (12-18" of penetration) 2) through the proper medium (4ld; 10% ballistics gel) 3) and with proper expansion. A lot of testing tends to neglect #2, and use the less reliable but very impressive looking clear gel.
    The .380's traditionally tend to either not expand, or not penetrate.
    So this criticism of clear gel was that it wasn’t dense enough:
    https://www.police1.com/police-produ...kEYB93TAd5o6J/

I wonder if they tweaked their formula it would be closer.

They sell 20% blocks... I wonder if I could mix that with my 10% and BB calibrate to make something more reliable.

JCN’s Taurus 380 Snubbie review

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @JTMcC well, I definitely wouldn’t recommend a 380 snubbie for black bear defense.

I guess we are in agreement.
    Tim Sundles at Buffalo Bore once told me that black bears will almost always run when shot with any caliber.

Now, let’s return to bagging on @JCN for shooting a .380, and a Taurus. Because either will get you killed in the streets.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Tim Sundles at Buffalo Bore once told me that black bears will almost always run when shot with any caliber.

Now, let’s return to bagging on @JCN for shooting a .380, and a Taurus. Because either will get you killed in the streets.
    I was going to make a video showing empty chamber 380 carry with a manual safety.

But I didn’t get a chance because I got killed in the streets.

Are the Taurus barrels actually .355-.356? Or are they .358?

How about your LCR9?

Thanks.

But I didn’t get a chance because I got killed in the streets.
    I think one of the reason you're getting the responses you're getting is that you're very poor at communicating 1) what's on your mind, and 2) Why you're wanting to discuss it (what's your purpose for posting) and 3) It looks like you're trying to reinvent the wheel using "tests" that you value, that we don't value, and as if you're the first chuckle-head on the internet who's ever tried shooting a bullet against <insert homemade test that actual scientists say is bogus here> and think it matters or has any validity.

Respectfully Submitted,

A person that carries a 380 on occasion, and doesn't find it particularly egregious for people carry a 380, and still thinks this thread is cringe-worthy
    Last edited by TGS; 05-08-2021 at 03:24 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

@TGS

Respectfully submitted,

Another possibility is that people want to see what they want to see and are trying to make the thread into something it’s not.

It’s just for fun and I don’t carry 380. Just like I don’t carry empty chamber.

The videos of tests I did 5-6 years ago helped me realize that 9mm was way better of an option than 380 and I was just waiting for the advent of the P365 for my best carry option.

Now getting into revolvers for carry, I think the 9mm LCR9 or one of the N-frames with 8-shot cylinder conversion to 9mm is a great carry revolver option for me.

I wondered if 380 revolvers could be a good option for the same people who like carrying 380.

I don’t mind the responses here. I don’t expect any kind of responses.

It was interesting to me that the M380 was ballistically similar to an LCP, so all the caveats that go with that caliber / gun combination apply.

I like the rabbit holes of PF. I usually learn a lot and hopefully still contribute some.

I ordered some 20% synthetic ballistic gel to mix with my 10% that I have to see if I can get better correlation with traditional 250 bloom gelatin. I ordered a 600fps BB gun too.

But the nice thing about clear gel is even if it’s not as applicable as traditional gel, it’s not worth nothing. And it could be that the issues it has are largely related to density which could be potentially mitigated by better calibration. Or not. I’m game for trying it out.

Another possibility is that people want to see what they want to see and are trying to make the thread into something it’s not.
    A common trend with your threads, then.

Or, if it's a consistent pattern, then perhaps Raylan's Razor applies.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Sometimes I carry a Ruger LCP with Buffalo Bore ammo. I replaced the recoil spring with a much heavier one. The little pistol functions reliably, and the hot Buffalo Bore cast bullet loads shoots accurately. I love the combination because it is interesting. As a lifelong experimenter and serious student of our craft, I must admit that my beloved LCP still presents 380 ballistics which lag behind my J frame's .38 Special ballistics. I have been drinking J frame Kool Aid longer than some of you have walked the earth. That said, the .38 gives us marginal ballistics. I carry the LCP and J when I'm lazy. My habit is having one or the other on my person at home. If I carry either when I leave the house, I might should have made a better choice. No 380 revolvers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A common trend with your threads, then.

Or, if it's a consistent pattern, then perhaps Raylan's Razor applies.
    Perhaps. Or it could be the concentration of the audience.

You’ve also just described how an echo chamber and a mob mentality works.

If I went to a “common sense gun restriction forum” and asked them to have open minds, I’d expect they’d also support their agenda by majority rules just as well.

There are some super closed minded people here too.

I don’t expect you to change your mind. I don’t expect you to enjoy my threads.

It’s okay to have different opinions in life and in the world.

It’s okay to have different priorities and self-defense calculus too.

@TGS

Respectfully submitted,

It’s just for fun and I don’t carry 380. Just like I don’t carry empty chamber.

The videos of tests I did 5-6 years ago helped me realize that 9mm was way better of an option than 380 and I was just waiting for the advent of the P365 for my best carry option.

Now getting into revolvers for carry, I think the 9mm LCR9 or one of the N-frames with 8-shot cylinder conversion to 9mm is a great carry revolver option for me.

I wondered if 380 revolvers could be a good option for the same people who like carrying 380.

I don’t mind the responses here. I don’t expect any kind of responses.

It was interesting to me that the M380 was ballistically similar to an LCP, so all the caveats that go with that caliber / gun combination apply.

I like the rabbit holes of PF. I usually learn a lot and hopefully still contribute some.

I ordered some 20% synthetic ballistic gel to mix with my 10% that I have to see if I can get better correlation with traditional 250 bloom gelatin. I ordered a 600fps BB gun too.

But the nice thing about clear gel is even if it’s not as applicable as traditional gel, it’s not worth nothing. And it could be that the issues it has are largely related to density which could be potentially mitigated by better calibration. Or not. I’m game for trying it out.
    You are not calibrating gel when you are shooting gel with a bb. You are validating it.

User Tag List