Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN’s Taurus 380 Snubbie review

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    For what it’s worth I think I understood the point of the thread, and I do find it interesting. We’re seeing if .380 has meaningfully different performance out of a revolver than out of a similarly sized auto, while being more controllable than similar velocity options, similar to JCN’s observations with 9mm revolvers. Given that the round’s major limitation is attainable velocity, that question makes sense to me, and I think we were on track for that before the “guns are for murder and .380 bad” derail.
    The major limitation of the 380 Automatic cartridge is its light-for-caliber bullet weights. Even 9x19mm benefits from bullets at least 25 grains heavier than typical 380 Auto offerings and a 16.5" barrel carbine cannot radically improve the 380 Auto's terminal ballistics.

https://rangehot.com/380-auto-pistol...e/#lightbox/1/

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    The major limitation of the 380 Automatic cartridge is its light-for-caliber bullet weights. Even 9x19mm benefits from bullets at least 25 grains heavier than typical 380 Auto offerings and a 16.5" barrel carbine cannot radically improve the 380 Auto's terminal ballistics.

https://rangehot.com/380-auto-pistol...e/#lightbox/1/
    That’s actually part of the draw for this in a snubby.
    It’s burnt all its powder already. You wouldn’t expect much extra in a carbine.

I think ballistically, nobody is arguing that a 9mm snub isn’t better than a 380.

But when you adjust for recoil and gun weight, is it a decent option?

Maybe. And maybe similar to an LCP semi.

Personally, part of my question that I’m trying to answer is:

A 9mm snub (to me) is equivalent to most snub 357 magnum ballistically but way more shootable and way easier to reload quickly.

What I don’t know is if that scales to a lighter 380 revolver compared to 38 special.

I appreciate people’s ballistic comments on wadcutter advantages and a 158gr at 600fps might be better than a 90gr at 1000fps. Both are substandard compared to a 9mm gold dot.

I know that I can’t reload a wadcutter under stress, but reloading doesn’t come into most revolver people’s carry calculus.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I know that I can’t reload a wadcutter under stress, but reloading doesn’t come into most revolver people’s carry calculus.
    Not sure that's entirely true. Most folks I know of who carry wadcutters will carry wadcutter as their primary load in the cylinder with something else that is reload friendly in their reload pouch / strip / loader. It's not an exclusive either a or b choice.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Not sure that's entirely true. Most folks I know of who carry wadcutters will carry wadcutter as their primary load in the cylinder with something else that is reload friendly in their reload pouch / strip / loader. It's not an exclusive either a or b choice.
    I get that part. I used to carry Federal HST 38 (which is flush loaded like a wadcutter) and then had Critical Defense as a moon clip reload because pointy tip.

But even though they choose to do that, most revolver carriers can’t reload and get back on target under 3 seconds, much less 2 seconds.

And then you get into the complicated situation of comparison. Are 5+5 of XTP 380 better than 5 wadcutters + 5 FTX?

In my head I prepare for a semi-autoless society.

If that happens, I’d probably carry a New York reload.

But I’m still preparing so I can do a sub-2 second revolver reload just in case.

I get that part. I used to carry Federal HST 38 (which is flush loaded like a wadcutter) and then had Critical Defense as a moon clip reload because pointy tip.

But even though they choose to do that, most revolver carriers can’t reload and get back on target under 3 seconds, much less 2 seconds.

And then you get into the complicated situation of comparison. Are 5+5 of XTP 380 better than 5 wadcutters + 5 FTX?

In my head I prepare for a semi-autoless society.

If that happens, I’d probably carry a New York reload.

But I’m still preparing so I can do a sub-2 second revolver reload just in case.
    Its only complicated because you're stressing over hardware.

Pick a bullet that will always penetrate to the vitals. /thread

If I was going to carry a .380 the only one I would consider would be the buffalo bore hardcast load or equivalent.

Id still rather carry a .38. A 158gr @ 950fps is just fine by me. I mean when I do carry a 9mm its a 147gr GD@ 950fps.

While its fun to chase a goal like a 2 second reload dont think that its all that important. Reloads in fights are dynamic. I dont think I ever reloaded a weapon under fire where I wasnt moving or behind cover. When I was moving a 2 second or 5 second reload wouldn't of made a difference.

Site Supporter
    @03RN - IIRC, your reloads held a bit more than five rounds too.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Its only complicated because you're stressing over hardware.

Pick a bullet that will always penetrate to the vitals. /thread

If I was going to carry a .380 the only one I would consider would be the buffalo bore hardcast load or equivalent.

Id still rather carry a .38. A 158gr @ 950fps is just fine by me. I mean when I do carry a 9mm its a 147gr GD@ 950fps.

While its fun to chase a goal like a 2 second reload dont think that its all that important. Reloads in fights are dynamic. I dont think I ever reloaded a weapon under fire where I wasnt moving or behind cover. When I was moving a 2 second or 5 second reload wouldn't of made a difference.
    I don’t think it’s all that important either.

These are just for fun threads and my USPSA practice is just for a hobby.

I don’t expect to need any reloads and I don’t usually carry any.

It’s all just for theory. What improving in mechanics does do is improves your index in any situation.

I can do a semiauto reload in under 0.9s and a revolver reload under 2s. But that’s not really the point. By practicing gun handling, I can get on target faster and transition faster with more accuracy than many others.

Similarly, more skill in gun handling might not win a fight so why bother practicing at all?

Because I enjoy it and it’s fun.

@03RN

I’ll state this again: I’m not advocating that I or anyone else carry a 380 or do anything with the information I’m presenting.

I went through this myself a few years ago with 380 semis and came to the conclusion I didn’t want anything weaker than 9mm for my personal carry.

Just like the unchambered carry video, it’s illustrating what can be done and what the limits of things are so people can decide for themselves what they want to do with it.

Do you have any video doing any drills with the 158gr @950? That sounds like a lot for a 15oz gun.

@03RN

I’ll state this again: I’m not advocating that I or anyone else carry a 380 or do anything with the information I’m presenting.

I went through this myself a few years ago with 380 semis and came to the conclusion I didn’t want anything weaker than 9mm for my personal carry.

Just like the unchambered carry video, it’s illustrating what can be done and what the limits of things are so people can decide for themselves what they want to do with it.

Do you have any video doing any drills with the 158gr @950? That sounds like a lot for a 15oz gun.
    I dont currently have a j frame. K is as small as I want.
    Here's my 3" M10 with 158s @ 950fps

User Tag List