Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: JCN’s Taurus 380 Snubbie review

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Personally, part of my question that I’m trying to answer is:

A 9mm snub (to me) is equivalent to most snub 357 magnum ballistically but way more shootable and way easier to reload quickly.

What I don’t know is if that scales to a lighter 380 revolver compared to 38 special.

I appreciate people’s ballistic comments on wadcutter advantages and a 158gr at 600fps might be better than a 90gr at 1000fps. Both are substandard compared to a 9mm gold dot.

I know that I can’t reload a wadcutter under stress, but reloading doesn’t come into most revolver people’s carry calculus.
    I did a few searches for 9mm snubs and didn't find any threads by you, have you posted much about your experience with them here?

I'm interested in that topic, have been since Chuck Karwan's issue of the "Combat Handguns" book where he had a chapter or two about pistol cartridges in revolvers.
    Last edited by Dov; 09-16-2023 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I definitely just meant indexing as in grabbing the clip. Besides not having pocket space, my main issue with just pocketing them is not having a reliable presentation of the clip when you reach for it.

I’m only just now dipping my toes in revolver water - I have a brand new .38 LCR and holster with no ammo (I’ll have some soon enough). For my intended uses I really need the super light weight of the .38 model, but one other reason I opted for it over the 9mm was speeeloaders vs. clips. Carry options for the former aren’t exactly bountiful but I could at least find them, as opposed to clip carry options. My current plan is a 5-Star speed loader in their IWB pouch when I can make that work with what I’m wearing, plus a backup strip in my back pocket that will be the primary reload if the loader isn’t available. We’ll see how that goes.

Your solution looks very workable and is a good use of a coin pocket. Not sure I’d go that specific route personally because it would mean ditching my Leatherman that I use all the time, but I’m keeping the concept in mind in case I ever add a 9mm LCR. The ideal for me would be something like that placed IWB right next to the holster’s sight channel.
    I almost always CCW 2 guns I prioritize 2nd gun over reload for various reasons.

So my solution for J frame reloads while not optimized for speed is a small open carried belt pouch (the reloads are hidden under zipper) I found years ago that allowed me to easily carry two HKS speedloaders in zippered main compartment, plus other basic gear in other compartments (mini Leatherman & Mini Bic lighter) particular one I have is Lowepro Ridge 10 Camera Case found at Walmart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009VT9MU...ing=UTF8&psc=1 but other similar cases would work fine IMO.

You could fit at least 4 if not 6 J frame size loaded moonclips in it, I think I could fit at least 3 if not 4 HKS speedloaders in it, but pair of them fit nicely side by side in bottom of main compartment, a third would fit on top not sure about fourth.

With that unconcealed spare ammo on belt I could have 1 or 2 pocket guns and reloads wearing 5.11 or other cargo shorts and light shirt for summer.

Not positive but think I besides the two speedloaders I crammed a speedstrip in it for while but decided I'd rather have just 2 speedloader plus the mini multitool and Bic lighter to backup my keychain Nanostriker (fire starting spark tool https://www.exotac.com/products/nanostriker-xl).

Edited to add:

If you accept NY reload as best idea for revolvers, or Mike Pipes https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?10174-Mike-Pipes approach of carring fiveish J frames nothing wrong IMHO with Slowstrips (AKA Speedstrips) which can also be carried in non concealed belt pouch, old school drop/dump pouch or using shell loops etc.
    Last edited by Dov; 09-16-2023 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I did a few searches for 9mm snubs and didn't find any threads by you, have you posted much about your experience with them here?

I'm interested in that topic, have been since Chuck Karwan's issue of the "Combat Handguns" book where he had a chapter or two about pistol cartridges in revolvers.
    I have a few threads on Glock talk and here where I compare 9mm snub ballistics to 38 special and 357 magnum.

Short answer is that I’m a fan of 9mm snubs.

I have an LCR9, Korth Sky Hawk, a 327 Night Guard SW cut for 9mm and compete with 929 revolvers.

If you have any specific questions, I’m happy to answer!

A quick Google tells me that the lock mechanism hasn’t had documented issues of inadvertent activation.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...l-lock.752179/
    I have had troubles with an internal lock on a Taurus 651. Issue arose with full tilt factory .357 mag when I tried them , .38 +p didnt do it before or after but in my sample size of n=1, it can happen. Would there be enough inertia in a .380 to do it, probably not, but I have seen the lock design become a problem
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

I have an LCR9, Korth Sky Hawk, a 327 Night Guard SW cut for 9mm and compete with 929 revolvers.

If you have any specific questions, I’m happy to answer!
    I’m interested in hearing your take on the Smith 929. A guy in my shooting league might trade me one, and I’m intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I’m interested in hearing your take on the Smith 929. A guy in my shooting league might trade me one, and I’m intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a very specific purpose built gaming revolver. Barrel length to make minor power factor with gaming semi-auto ammo, capacity and moon clips. It’s a soft shooter.

I like it for Steel Challenge mainly but I might eventually do some USPSA type competition with it for classification.

For range things where capacity isn’t an issue I like the 686+ as my favorite range revolver.

But for gaming, IMO the 929 is where it’s at.

User Tag List