Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All the Candela LED Swap - from flood to thrower with just an LED change

All the Candela LED Swap - from flood to thrower with just an LED change

I recently sent out for a custom version of my EDC Flashlight, the Eagletac D25LC2 MKII. The goal was to raise the Candela of the light so that it would be better able to illuminate targets at medium distances, and be more retina frying at close range.

I contacted SkyLumen, who does a lot of both custom flashlights, as well as modding existing flashlight designs for higher performance. I requested that the factory LED (Cree XM-L2 U4) be swapped out for the new generation OSRAM W2.1 LED.

The OSRAM works by being a tiny LED. By shrinking the area of the LED, the intensity of the beam is more concentrated.

Modded D25LC2 Osram W2.1 top, regular XML-U2 LED bottom. Note how much smaller the yellow square on top is compared to the bottom yellow square - thats the difference in LED emitter size:

Skylumen offers testing service done on their lights, which I requested. And the test results from the LED swap are quite impressive.

Factory D25LC2 MKII = 1150 lumen / 10,500 candela (10.5kcd) / max distance 205m

Modded D25LC2 MKII = 730lm / 40,000 candela (40kcd) / max distance 400m

--> The LED swap has 4x'd the beam intensity (candela) and effectively doubled the maximum range of the flashlight.

Heres what that looks like in practical terms, using a Palm Tree at 60m as a target.

Night:

Regular 10kcd LED:

Modded 40kcd LED:

As can be seen, the 40kcd OSRAM resulted in a much higher level of illumination of the palm tree, while the more diffuse 10kcd regular LED, while lighting up a wider area, results in less brightness of the actual target.

Overall I'm very impressed with the results of this LED swap. Not only has candela increased 4x, but its especially impressive given how compact the D25LC2 MKII is.

The Eagletac is much more compact (0.9"x4.5") then a typical tactical flashlight; shown between an Armytek Doberman Pro and Malkoff MD2. Yet despite its small size, it has actually a bit more throw (400m vs 395m) then the much larger 1400lm Armytek due to the OSRAM LED.

Hopefully we will see more manufacturers employing the OSRAM in their light designs. It offers the opportunity to produce more compact weapon lights with better range, or to turn full size rifle lights into true long range illumination tools.

In the meantime, if you're looking for Mod work, I highly recommend Vinh over at https://skylumen.com/

Site Supporter
    Will this light become your new EDC or fill a different role?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Will this light become your new EDC or fill a different role?
    I already swapped out my unmodified light for the new mod, and will actually be sending in my older EDC for the same style of upgrade, that way I'll have a spare.

The beam is tighter now, but it is not so tight that it no longer functions well as a general purpose utility light.

In fact if anything, it has improved as a utility light, as the increase in candela has made the low and medium modes (accessed by turning the lights head 1/4 turn) much more effective. The ~10lm mode now has enough punch to light things up out to a distance I normally would have had to use the 65lm setting for.

And on Max (head fully tightened) the new LED makes it a pretty formidable defensive light.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the setup.

What is often misunderstood is that it's the candela rating that determines how bright a light is as a point source, not lumens. When applied directly to the eyes, 40k candela is more than enough to deprive an assailant of their vision in a low-light setting. There are viable tactics that can be used in a SD scenario to leverage this.

Finding a good compromise for an EDC light is just that - a compromise. For those so inclined, it's better to have multiple lights setup for specific purposes. I always carry one light 24/7, and will grab a second light if I'm venturing out in the dark. Below on the left is my 24/7 light, which uses a Malkoff M91B drop-in running on a single 18350 1400mAh cell, producing about 650 lumens and 7,000 candela. It's a great general purpose light with a broad beam. The light on the right is intended solely as a SD light. Producing 650 lumens and 70k candela, it is a bonafide retina-frying Light Saber. Both lights can be used very effectively with two hands on a pistol in a syringe grip;

The 24/7 EDC light rides comfortably in my front right pocket. The Light Saber rides in a belt carrier which I clip on when needed, which keeps it very accessible;

Both of the above lights are about 4 inches long and weigh under 5 ounces.

Then there's The Thumper. At 7-3/4 inches long and weighing-in at 13 ounces, this light produces 450 lumens and 12,000 candela. A 1-inch ID steel shaft collar, weighing about six ounces, fits perfectly and is installed on the front of the body to optimize weight distribution and balance. As you might imagine it has uses beyond illumination, especially in a NPE. Also carried when taking the dogs for their night time walk;

With the Light Saber in one hand and The Thumper in the other, non-lethal attitude adjustment can be effectively administered. Having the right tools on-hand for the job always makes such tasks easier to accomplish.

Skylumen stuff is amazing. It’s amazing how much he can improve the performance of a light. I picked up a jetbeam raptor from him that’s a lightsaber. Pushes out 30k candela off a single 16340. It’s wizardry. Name:  7991290E-8C88-465A-B120-E8F81C66FA03.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  41.0 KB
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

With the Light Saber in one hand and The Thumper in the other, non-lethal attitude adjustment can be effectively administered. Having the right tools on-hand for the job always makes such tasks easier to accomplish.
    I love how cleanly set up all your lights are.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I love how cleanly set up all your lights are.
    Thanks!

A few other notes;

1. All three of these are single-output only, something I consider essential for a SD light
    2. The "Light Saber" is powered by a single, high-current IMR 18500 cell to power the direct-drive head, and is setup for momentary-only operation
    3. The "Thumper" has over six hours of non-declining 450-lumen runtime on two 18650 3500mAh cells

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    What is often misunderstood is that it's the candela rating that determines how bright a light is as a point source, not lumens.

Then there's The Thumper. At 7-3/4 inches long and weighing-in at 13 ounces, this light produces 450 lumens and 12,000 candela. A 1-inch ID steel shaft collar, weighing about six ounces, fits perfectly and is installed on the front of the body to optimize weight distribution and balance. As you might imagine it has uses beyond illumination, especially in a NPE. Also carried when taking the dogs for their night time walk;
    Candela vs Lumens is something Industry seems to still be catching up on; looking at SF's latest 18650 Fury, its putting out 1500 lumens...but only 25k Candela. And thats with a light with a 35mm head diameter that weighs 6.5oz.

This is especially odd as the OSRAM has been around for a few years now, and the LED's themselves are very cheap (I'd be shocked if they cost more then $4.)

Meanwhile we can get a hobbyist grade (not potted for recoil) light only slightly larger (44mm head) with well over 250kcd for $20, so really we should be seeing US made $100-$200 lights offering better performance then we do. Especially given that simply switching LEDs, with no further R&D, provides such a massive boost in Candela.

https://www.nealsgadgets.com/product...-c8-flashlight

That 2x18650 Malkoff looks great; almost like a trench club with that little steel 'balancer' added to it. They are true 'lights as weapons' flashlights. My MD2 w/ 18650 is around 6.5oz, about the weight of a set of Brass Knuckles, and built like a tank.

Just to provide a bit more perspective on the OSRAM.

Armytek Doberman Pro: 1400lm / 39kcd

OSRAM Eagletac D25LC2 MKII: 730lm / 40kcd

The OSRAM is really a transformative LED technology. Previously, as seen in the Armytek, the way to increase candela/effective range was:

Bright as possible LED + Big Reflector

With the OSRAM, a much smaller reflector and moderately bright light can now reach the same ranges.

And my Eagletac is using a less then full power driver; Skylumens custom driver for the Eagletac allows 1320lm/ 56kcd from the same flashlight / OSRAM. I didnt go with that option as I'd have to give up Eagletac's superb UI, but it shows just whats possible out of small lights using this LED technology.

There really is a lot of opportunity here to create mini, lightweight rifle lights, or allow the current crop of subcompact pistol lights to be much more effective.

It's just up to the tactical industry to catch up with the flashlight hobbyists.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    It's just up to the tactical industry to catch up with the flashlight hobbyists.
    They've been behind the curve since day 1 of the LED revolution. It's only recently that some companies like Modlite and Cloud Defense have even started trying to catch up.

User Tag List