Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catherine Herridge’s Interview with 3 SEALs

Catherine Herridge’s Interview with 3 SEALs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...-exploitation/

Well, it’snice to see that none of America’s proud institutions are escaping the nation’s descent into social decay.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

The SEAL thing is... unfortunate.
    It is not necessarily new, as Jesse Ventura and Dick Marchinko certainly traded on SEAL cachet in the 1980-90s. Showboating and writing books is poor form but folks got to eat... Or be governor of Minnesota.

That said, the killing of a fellow service member who reportedly discovered ongoing criminal conduct is really problematic. That wasn’t one guy, it was a detachment-wide conspiracy. That is endemic of a much deeper organizational rot. I am no SEAL but appreciates those challenging that kind of failed leadership and broken culture.

Not certain where Sensei was going with this post, but the situation sickens me. Trump and now Biden are declaring GWOT dead - the game of musical chairs is just beginning.

My first question would be “what’s their op tempo” before just blaming them. I doubt it’s a black and white thing.
    #RESIST

Maybe I'm cynical, paranoid, or a combination of the two, but I can't help but see stuff like this through the lens of certain people trying to gut every possible organization that can oppose them, so that they might take charge in every conceivable way.

I mean, the info might be true, even understated, but I don't trust the motives of the folks who are letting it see the light of day.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    Not certain where Sensei was going with this post, but the situation sickens me. Trump and now Biden are declaring GWOT dead - the game of musical chairs is just beginning.
    I have 2 points:

1) Our military culture, like all institutions, is a reflection of our society as a whole and no branch or unit is immune. As our society rots, so will all elements of our military.

2) Reports of this particular problem are not new and I’ve been in more than one exchange on this forum about what I thought was a brewing problem. This article does not make me think that the problem is getting any better.

This piece includes some info about an exceptionally mysterious double murder case from Ft Bragg I've been following since late last year.
    It raises a lot of troubling questions.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...rders-1153405/

"The man on the ground, who had been dropped by a single bullet to the right temple, was 44-year-old Timothy Dumas. People who knew him tell me that in life, he fit a certain kind of American archetype: the wannabe special-forces guy, a fake operator who, in order to impress people or intimidate them, passed himself off as an ex-commando. He had served 19 years in the Army, including time in the 7th Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg, but as a property book officer, a glorified supply sergeant.

The man in the bed of the truck, by contrast, didn’t have to inflate his military credentials. Not only was he a decorated Green Beret with dozens of badges and patches and medals from 14 different deployments, he was also a member of Delta Force, the most elite military unit in the United States. At age 37, William “Billy” Lavigne II was a true Tier 1 operator, a master sergeant on the Army’s most selective and clandestine task force."
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This piece includes some info about an exceptionally mysterious double murder case from Ft Bragg I've been following since late last year.
    It raises a lot of troubling questions.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...rders-1153405/
    That article is concerning, but it comes from Rolling Stone. I have a hard time believing the reporters working for that outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    That article is concerning, but it comes from Rolling Stone. I have a hard time believing the reporters working for that outfit.
    Some of the most impactful facts reported are out there previously from other reporting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I have 2 points:

1) Our military culture, like all institutions, is a reflection of our society as a whole and no branch or unit is immune. As our society rots, so will all elements of our military.

2) Reports of this particular problem are not new and I’ve been in more than one exchange on this forum about what I thought was a brewing problem. This article does not make me think that the problem is getting any better.
    Years ago we got involved with a large faith based homeschooling group. As I got involved I was surprised at some of the behavior I witnessed. Both children and parents exhibiting behavior I thought I would not see in such a group. Then I quickly came to the realization that every group no matter the type is microcosm of society. There will be a normal distribution of individuals in behavior, values and morals. When being selective about all you can hope for is a shift of the Bell Curve in the "positive" direction.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My first question would be “what’s their op tempo” before just blaming them. I doubt it’s a black and white thing.
    I disagree with the using ops tempo as an out.
    All success and failures reside with Command. From the Chiefs on up, it's their job to manage it. Op's tempo causing too much burn out or unit degradation? The Senior NCO's are your "frontline managers", they need to send it up the chain, and higher needs to listen.

Start treating these operators like they are actually human, and not a mechanical weapons system, and I think you would find it a betterment for the entire force.

Also, and just speculation on my part, but if folks made it past selection because we need the bodies, and not because they met the actual standards, then that is the recipe for a shit sandwich.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

User Tag List