Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torque Wrench Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post

As an alternative Wiha link, this would make for a great option. It's 5-18lb/in, which covers Glock front sights (5-7lb/in) to pistol RDS screws (10-15lb/in).
    https://www.wihatools.com/torquevario-5-18-in-lbs
    That is cool; I’ve never seen a value for Glock Front Sight screws. Thanks.

Since we are on torque, I wanted to ask: is it ok to check optic screws with a Torque wrench periodically or is it better to torque stripe them?

I have one of the simple Wheeler FAT wrenches, specific application is Holosun optics on Glocks.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    is it ok to check optic screws with a Torque wrench periodically or is it better to torque stripe them?
    Checking the torque with a torque wrench does not make any sense. Don't you use locktite on the threads?
    Even if you did not, there is the whole issue of overcoming the coefficient of static friction on the screw.
    The videos that I have seen even point out that the friction of a screw with loctite will effectively lubricate
    the threads during insertion and technically you would like to use a different torque value to get the same
    tension on the threads as you do with a dry screw.

I am no expert on this but it does not seem like that is what the torque wrenches were designed for, which
    is why everyone uses witness marks.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Definitely. Most scope mounts/rings I've seen are usually between ~15-35lb/in, with some of the higher end stuff I've seen being as high as ~50-65lb/in. If it was me, I'd still have 2 separate torque wrenches to cover that range. Something for roughly ~5-20lb/in, and a second for ~15-80lb/in, but I'm also OCD about tools and probably should be ignored. ;-)
    The borka tool covers 10 inch-lbs. to 70 inch-lbs., in 1 inch-lb. increments. There are two scales on the tool.
    You flip it over and it uses a different scale
    https://shooterstools.com/Pages/BTD/btdkits.html#BTD

I guess that means that you can not use it on left handed screws though . . .
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

I have two Wheeler FAT wrenches and a Vortex. I think I’ll order one of the Borka wrenches as well. I think that in most cases a Wheeler is plenty good, but with the number of optics I’m mounting I like the individual inch pound graduations.

Another vote for Wheeler. I think they are one of those Harbor Freight type things that you can get a bad one, but if you get a good one you're good. One of mine has been horrendously abused (Saltwater, neglect, blood?somehow?) and it is still accurate.

I have an analog and a digital Wheeler wrench- the digital one is quite good. Both are accurate.

Brownells torque wrench. Covers a wide range, from 15 in/lbs for small screws, to 65 in/lbs for action bedding screws. I think the range is 15-75in/lbs.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter

Optics Planet Fix It Sticks Kit

I recently purchased the Optics Planet Fix It Sticks Optics Mounting Kit: https://www.opticsplanet.com/fix-it-...nting-kit.html. It contains nearly everything I can foreseeably need to mount optics. Although I've only used the kit to mount one rifle scope, it seems like high quality gear. I'll update after further use.

Name:  20230526_193232.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  20230526_193356.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  26.0 KB

I have the FatWrench and the Vortex. Both work fine, but the build quality of the Vortexis much better… it’s mostly metal where the FatWrench is a lot of plastic parts.

The Vortex looks identical to the Capri tools and the GEARWRENCH, but in different color schemes. I assume they are made by the same manufacturer, and if they are, then GEARWRENCH is known for quality tools.

User Tag List