Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque Wrench Recommendations?

Site Supporter

Torque Wrench Recommendations?

I have one of my PX4 slides in at LTT being machined for a red dot. I emailed them last night to ask about torque specs and got a reply of 10 inch-pounds. I’ve looked online and found some torque wrenches that start at that spec, but I’ve always been told that the extremes on such a tool are suspect. I’d like to get the Wheeler since it’s in the right place price-wise but don’t want to have issues because I cheaped out. What wrenches out there have proven reliable at 10 inch-pounds? Or does it just need to be kinda-sorta around that spec?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    We did this thread a couple days ago.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The Wheeler is a decent cheap option. You can find all the geeked out discussions on some high end premium torque wrench, but for my amateur use, which is putting on RDS a handful of times per year, the Wheeler has worked well. I have used it to torque RDS to spec on several guns with several thousand rounds through each and have had no issues with the screws loosening.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    We did this thread a couple days ago.
    I searched and came up empty. Some torque wrenches were mentioned but I didn’t see anything addressing accuracy at the low end of measurement.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Wiha tool comes with a cal cert. That should cover the entire rated working range.

https://www.wihatools.com/adjustable...o-10-50-in-lbs

Specs say: Torque Accuracy ±6%
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I bought a set of fixit sitcks and have been happy with them. The only issue that may pop up is that the set I have require me to watch the torque indicator on the equipment and stop applying the force. I got this set as a range bag set.

Name:  PXL_20210504_161856122.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  53.7 KB

I used it to mount my 507C with no drama.

I use a Sturtevant-Richmont CAL-36 torque screwdriver. Range is 2-36 in/lbs.

A machinist friend, once told me it is a lot more important that the torque be uniform then the rating.

I had bought a torque wrench when I was sixteen, and hadn't used it in years (sat in a toolbox), when I started turning wrenchs at a family friends garage, I started keeping my eyes out for tools. At one store I found a new old stock, torque ratchet that was a little more then a year old. That comes into play, because torque specs are, when they are rated, and supposed to be good for a year. I helped a friend who was an aircraft pilot with a project and as a thank you he had my torque wrenches checked and calibrated when he had his done (must be done annually, from memory). My old wrench that sat for 10+ years, had changed by 1%, my brand new old stock wrench was rated at 2%+/- and was 11% off. The rating is only good at the time of the rating.

There is also this thread from 2017

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Torque-Wrench
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

User Tag List