Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 3” J Frame Options

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Not J-Frames, but there are two special run (one for TALO, one for Lipsey's) 3" Ruger SP101's listed on Ruger's site that ALMOST overcome my seething hatred for the "Wiley Clapp" tapered cylinder. The TALO one loaded with mild .38 wadcutters would otherwise be a sort of dream revolver for me.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Yup. I'd like it in 4-inch, or maybe 3.5-inch, even more. And I'd be all over it in .327 with a 4-inch tube.

Although, to be honest, when I think of something as big and heavy as an SP101 with a 3-inch barrel, it sends me right back to the 856 Defender. I'd so like for those to not suck.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I’ll leave this one here, in case anyone’s stim check is still unspent:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900233409
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I have a 3” Mode 60 Pro that I adore, I shot the 2019 Revolver Round Up with it

Name:  7489431E-3040-411F-8F70-6C9F2D405670.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  35.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I have a 3” Mode 60 Pro that I adore, I shot the 2019 Revolver Round Up with it

Name:  7489431E-3040-411F-8F70-6C9F2D405670.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  35.5 KB
    I must have seen this model before, but I’ve never really looked at PC offerings. That’s quite appealing, especially if I could find a fixed or plainer rear sight. Thank you!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I must have seen this model before, but I’ve never really looked at PC offerings. That’s quite appealing, especially if I could find a fixed or plainer rear sight. Thank you!
    My rear is solid black.

These guys seem to be about the only game in town for a fixed rear Jframe. Found an old old post that they have a drop in fixed that isn’t on their site but is available if you call. Might be worth a shot.

https://www.dlsports.com/dl_jframe_sw_sights.html

Keep us advised I wouldn’t mind a sturdier rear sight.

I thought Cylinder & Slide had a fixed rear replacement for adjustable sight Smiths?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I thought Cylinder & Slide had a fixed rear replacement for adjustable sight Smiths?
    I’ve heard mixed on that, one person said they did offer a J but someone else came behind and said no it was just K/L/N (S&W forum). A call to C&S would clarify.

Site Supporter

3 inch Chief Special revolver

S&W Chief Special 3inch HB

When I started as a cop (1981) most agencies around here carried S&W Revolvers, mostly K frames. Among the more knowledgeable shooters, the 3 inch Chief's Special was a very popular off duty & backup gun. I bought the first one I ever fired. (A friend made me a deal. I made the last payment on the day President Reagan was shot).

At that time the County Traffic Police was separate from the Sheriff's Department (they merged in January of 1982). Among the avid shooters there was one group that carried S&W Auto pistols. (Many of them carried Walther PP or PPK or PPK/S pistols as hideout guns); another group that carried Colt Pythons (with Detective Specials as hide-out guns) and a final group that preferred the Smith & Wesson revolvers, mostly 5 inch Model 27s. And ALL those guys had 3 inch Chief Specials for hideout guns.

I always thought the 3 inch J frames balanced better and looked cooler. .

I currently own an M36 with the 3 inch tapered barrel, an M36 with the 3 inch heavy barrel, an M60 stainless with the 3 inch heavy barrel, and a (now-discontinued) M650 3 inch heavy barrel in .22LR, that I use as a "practice gun" for the other two. Last October I picked up a 36-6 police trade in that a good friend sold me for a good price.

Originally, for service ammo I used the S&W Nyclad 125 grn "Chief's Special" load, later made by Federal.

Then I switched to the WW 158 grn Lead SWC HP +P and then to the Federal 129 grn Hydro-Shock HP. I was about to switch to the Speer 135 grn +P HP, but then the PD made a change in policy and mandated the use of Hornady Critical Defense FXT hollow points for any secondary or concealment guns, and so I’m using the 110 grain hollow points.

I usually carry the guns in a traditional leather holster with a thumb break retainer, and reloads are Bianchi speed strips or HKS speed loaders carried in a Safariland 371 split six speed loader carrier.

That 60-10 is an intriguing concept . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    S&W Chief Special 3inch HB

When I started as a cop (1981) most agencies around here carried S&W Revolvers, mostly K frames. Among the more knowledgeable shooters, the 3 inch Chief's Special was a very popular off duty & backup gun. I bought the first one I ever fired. (A friend made me a deal. I made the last payment on the day President Reagan was shot).

At that time the County Traffic Police was separate from the Sheriff's Department (they merged in January of 1982). Among the avid shooters there was one group that carried S&W Auto pistols. (Many of them carried Walther PP or PPK or PPK/S pistols as hideout guns); another group that carried Colt Pythons (with Detective Specials as hide-out guns) and a final group that preferred the Smith & Wesson revolvers, mostly 5 inch Model 27s. And ALL those guys had 3 inch Chief Specials for hideout guns.

I always thought the 3 inch J frames balanced better and looked cooler. .

I currently own an M36 with the 3 inch tapered barrel, an M36 with the 3 inch heavy barrel, an M60 stainless with the 3 inch heavy barrel, and a (now-discontinued) M650 3 inch heavy barrel in .22LR, that I use as a "practice gun" for the other two. Last October I picked up a 36-6 police trade in that a good friend sold me for a good price.

Originally, for service ammo I used the S&W Nyclad 125 grn "Chief's Special" load, later made by Federal.

Then I switched to the WW 158 grn Lead SWC HP +P and then to the Federal 129 grn Hydro-Shock HP. I was about to switch to the Speer 135 grn +P HP, but then the PD made a change in policy and mandated the use of Hornady Critical Defense FXT hollow points for any secondary or concealment guns, and so I’m using the 110 grain hollow points.

I usually carry the guns in a traditional leather holster with a thumb break retainer, and reloads are Bianchi speed strips or HKS speed loaders carried in a Safariland 371 split six speed loader carrier.

That 60-10 is an intriguing concept . . . .
    I love you, man.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List