Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3” J Frame Options

3” J Frame Options

I’ve been having an urge for a 3” J frame for awhile. My ideal would be a lightweight Centennial with a pinned front sight and dovetail rear, but I don’t think anything like that has ever come out of Springfield.

What should I be looking for?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve been having an urge for a 3” J frame for awhile. My ideal would be a lightweight Centennial with a pinned front sight and dovetail rear, but I don’t think anything like that has ever come out of Springfield.

What should I be looking for?
    36-1
    36-6
    640 (made in a 3” for a few years early on)

I am quite enamored of my 36-6 with the adjustable (visable) sights, but they are hard to find and expensive at this point. The 3” 60 is the stainless equivalent—these guns are great shooters, and accurate all out of proportion to their small size.

Obligatory pic:

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    36-1
    36-6
    640 (made in a 3” for a few years early on)

I am quite enamored of my 36-6 with the adjustable (visable) sights, but they are hard to find and expensive at this point. The 3” 60 is the stainless equivalent—these guns are great shooters, and accurate all out of proportion to their small size.
    I had a 3” 36 that I foolishly sold because the narrow grooved trigger was not good for DA. If I’d been smart I would have replaced the trigger.

For lightweight the Model 37 3" isn't uncommon but don't think it ever came with anything but the trough and and skinny, 1/10", milled front sight. If you can go up in weight Model 60 3" models with pinned front and adjustable rear sights are pretty common as well. A 3" PC Comp Model 60 I've been eyeballing a while but can't quite get to buying:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892803101

Someone needs to remove the temptation :-)
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I have a satin nickel 442, and I’ve wondered if my shortest path to this might be sourcing a 3” barrel.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

A 3" M36 would be a great choice. Here's a picture to help with your search

My 36-1 and 36-6:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I owned two of them in the distant past. Both got sold or traded because I always felt, once a J-frame gets that big it just begs for a sixth round.

YMMV,
    Dave

Gave into the 6rd temptation coupled with the silky smooth trigger and big blocky adjustable for windage sights. Gun looks big but carries like a 3" J frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Gave into the 6rd temptation coupled with the silky smooth trigger and big blocky adjustable for windage sights. Gun looks big but carries like a 3" J frame.
    Already there - and that’s what reignited the urge for a 3” J. I’m rather fond of my 3” K6s, but why stop there?
    Ken

User Tag List