Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rubbing compound dry fire polish

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    All the more reason to own it.

The results you get from an "ignorant* and blind" method like you're asking about are a literal roll of the dice. If you believe the gun may already be questionable, why wouldn't you take control? Unless you're willing to cut the parts in half and throw them in the trash if it doesn't work out.

Unlike an S&W, where I can at least get replacement parts from S&W, Midway, Brownell's, etc., I don't know how to buy parts for Tauruses.

*By "ignorant," I mean that someone who does it is ignorant of the condition of the parts when they started and what is happening to them as things progress.
    You are a very wise man and I mean that honestly.

Great advice and I appreciate the clarification of terms too!

"melt some polishing compound in a spoon and dilute it with a little oil. "

For precision distribution on needed areas, you could use a small hypodermic syringe and possibly a rubber strap to hold the weapon in place.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    There is nothing new about adding abrasive to a revolver action. One reason this technique is a terrible idea is that the abrasive wallows out axial holes in hammers and triggers. At the same time the abrasive is removing metal from hammer and trigger pins. I won't address effects on the rest of the action. I know one guy who dumped Ajax powder into his Colt Python action. I refuse to stand next to these folks at the lgs. They might have cooties.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    For instance, to get a light mount to fit on Saturday, I Dremel'ed the living fuck out of it, like I was the junior gunsmith at Bubba's Gun Fixin' Emporium.
    Did you do it on your kitchen table?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I'm reminded of an ancient internet thread on an Audi/VW forum. In that thread, the owner of a 20v 1.8T powered Audi tried to 'port & polish' his cylinder head by removing the air filter and running the intake into a bag of playground sand and revving the engine a whole bunch.

Needless to say, he got very poor (engine destroying) results and endless pages of seriously vicious flaming that only the early-2000's internet could summon.
    On the bmw forum I was on like forever, a young man established himself as a legend in the following manner.

He was asking about the use of tire dressing on BSW tires. He described his product (I forgot what he used) but he wanted it to look “Jet focking black!”. He liked the look of it so much, that he proceeded to apply it to the tire surfaces as well.

Driving shenanigans ensued as he discovered the reduction in grip afforded by literally greasing the tires.

For years afterwards, “JFB” was a popular inside joke on the forum when someone did something unwise, with the normal enthusiasm of a yute.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Did you do it on your kitchen table?
    Nah I did it at my workbench.

However, my workbench is in the dining room.

Site Supporter
    I may have a knee joint replaced in three months. I will ask the surgeon if he will use a Dremel Tool. If yes, then I will look elsewhere. I already asked him if he had a favorite night for drinking. I had extensive back surgery in 2011. I checked the doc's breath for alcohol fumes before letting anybody roll me to the OR. He was late, had not marked my back, and I required that he do what he had agreed to do. Being from Mississippi, I know more about doctors and sobriety than others. He did a super wonderful job. I am indebted to him.

That guy may have experience melting other compounds in a spoon.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

It's really not hard to do a basic "smoothing up" inside a DA revolver. There are a lot of videos on it.

That probably takes less time than the thing you propose considering the cleanup.

And I agree with the sear, pins, pin bores, etc, that you really don't want to alter.

Not to even mention, "polishing compound" is not a specific product.

Site Supporter
    I know a guy who says the second smoothest revolver trigger he has every owned was from an army buddy who took apart his revolver, put some “magic” compound in it, put it back together and attached a some kind of a contraption based on a power drill that essentially dry fired the thing for the functional equivalent of hours on end. This was in the 80s.

Dropped it off on a fri, came back on sun with 10.00, a six pack and a pizza. Watched a game and left with a very smooth trigger in both single and double action.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List