Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Covington KY PD issues Sig Legions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I don't have enough time on gen 5 grip texture to know if the grip tape is needed/worth the mess as it ages, but otherwise I would make a similar call with G45 or G47 as acceptable substitutes. I'd probably vote for something in the TLR7/9 (depending on barrel length) form factor for lights due to holster mouth width concerns.
    The Gen 5 texture is the same as the Gen 4. The texture is good but both have the same problem - they don’t have texture high on the sides of the grip. The talon grip is cheap enough to replace regularly.

I’m currently carrying a TLR7A on my duty gun.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Currently have P320 Carry/TLR7 as duty gun- distance throw isn't its strongest suit although it's been surprisingly capable- it's decent for positive ID inside 25y and ok beyond that. I like the switching and holster fit is much better for foreign object intrusion protection.

In the hypothetical the G17/47 would get the TLR9, the G45 would get the 7.

EDIT- phrasing
    My dept is about to issue the g45 with rmr and tlr7a. I just can't imagine in a big open area that I would get good throw on it or if there were photonic barriers, that it would be adequate enough. I have 2 of them and think they are good for edc just not for a duty role

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    My dept is about to issue the g45 with rmr and tlr7a. I just can't imagine in a big open area that I would get good throw on it or if there were photonic barriers, that it would be adequate enough. I have 2 of them and think they are good for edc just not for a duty role
    I work in plain clothes so having the TLR7A on all the time and just leaving it on for the rare occasions when I gear up for a warrant makes my life much easier. The seven a is adequate for indoors and short distances. For big open spaces I would be running a rifle as my primary.

Having a TLR7A on every gun is better than having some people with full-size weapon lights and some people without them.

The other advantage from an institutional point of you is you don’t have to go out of your way to keep the lens of the TLR7A clean the way you do with a full-size weapon light. A full-size weapon light with a bunch of carbon on the lens can be less effective than a clean TLR7A.

I certainly wouldn’t be against an option for full-size weapon lights for those that want them.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-06-2021 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Glock 17 gen 5/M MOS with talon rubber grip tape, Gadgets, and RDS.

Will start with red dots then teach irons.

The new shooters won't know any other way to shoot and those who've shot before can be coached to shoot a Glock like a Glock.

I'd use the extra time that might be dedicated to a TDA gun to do tactics and force on force training.

Any duty gun selected today is for the next 10-15 years which means anything that is not at least RDS capable is out of consideration.

You're also going to either need to stick with something Safariland makes a duty holster for or be willing to pay Safariland to cut a mold for your choice.
    Well, I was close in what I was guessing you would choose.
    I hedged on the G45 MOS, on the premise that the shorter slide would be a touch better in the patrol car, and that they could carry the same pistol through their career, including plain clothes (not UC).

Am I wrong in assuming one of the reasons you chose the 17 was the placement of the hump, and how it seems to be a little easier for the smaller handed recruits, vs the 19?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Well, I was close in what I was guessing you would choose.
    I hedged on the G45 MOS, on the premise that the shorter slide would be a touch better in the patrol car, and that they could carry the same pistol through their career, including plain clothes (not UC).

Am I wrong in assuming one of the reasons you chose the 17 was the placement of the hump, and how it seems to be a little easier for the smaller handed recruits, vs the 19?
    No. The 17/19 hump thing is like 1/3 shoot 19s better, 1/3 shoot 17s better and 1/3 agnostic between the two.

Glock specifics aside most people shoot guns with full-size grips better.

In our last pistol acquisition my agency initially wanted a Glock 19 size gun since we are a plain clothes entry.
    We were looking at adopting the 15 round compact version of the P3 20 but found a notable performance increase with a full-size grip and a very slight difference in length between the standard 15 round grip and the full-size X carry grip.

Since this was specified as a police department the primary use would be uniformed carry in a duty Rig.

You could just as easily specify a choice among variance of the same gun. I.e. Allow a choice of the 19, 45, 47, 17, and 30 for all similarly equipped.

For a plain clothes organization you could make a 19 with a mag well to provide additional pinky support the standard gun with the option for a 45 or 17. I don’t think the results would be much different.

In reality you normally want to pick a duty load first and a gun to launch at second. In this instance as much as I like the performance of my agencies current duty load the 124 gold.plus P, I would probably go with the critical duty 135 green as adopted by the FBI in order to have some thing that worked in both full-size Glocks and the slim line blocks to provide options for off duty and back up guns with the same characteristics.

When Glock finally decides to make a GEN 5 G26 MOS I would add it for plainclothes, BUG and off duty use only.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

When Glock finally decides to make a GEN 5 G26 MOS I would add it for plainclothes, BUG and off duty use only.
    These exist already
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List