Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Covington KY PD issues Sig Legions

Site Supporter
    It is rare for an agency to transition to a DA/SA pistol in today's world (and I haven't heard of any SIG agencies issuing the Legion until now). Franklin County (OH) Sheriff's Office transitioned to the SIG 226 several years ago (in 9mm, if I recall correctly). SigSauer actually produced a run of 239's for their detectives.

Site Supporter
    Interesting discussion.

The documents I found mention that holster commonality & continuity with existing armorers as factors for the decision. Makes sense, I suppose. When I first saw the Legion grips in a cop holster, I figured it was just new grips on an old P226. But they Legion'ed-out the whole department. I wonder if they got the coins?

I'm not involved with LE in any way, but, I tend to agree that price is probably the most determinate factor (as in most things) in moving to Glocks and SFA guns. True, TDA has a more complex manual of arms... but I guess I don't see a P226 with a short-reach trigger, slim G10 grips, excellent sights and a slicked-up trigger action as being any more difficult to shoot than a Glock/M&P, etc. Even in DA.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    The P30’s performed well and surprisingly, the P320’s have performed better.
    When you say better, do you mean more reliable?

That’s interesting if true.

Site Supporter
    is sig still making non legion TDA guns ?

The Legions may simply be the only way they could get new TDA guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

They are listed on the website.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Good question. I'm guessing they still were as of 2019.

It's a plastic-framed striker-fired world in 2021.

With the type of recruits I have seen in the past two years the gun has to be light, with a trigger reach and pull light and short enough that some kid with soft tiny hands that has never done an ounce of manual labor in his or her life can pull with ease. It also has to be so simple and easy enough to take apart and put together again that an inebriated half-wit in his sleep can do it with grease on his hands.

We issue the M&P 9mm. A kid not long out of the academy was complaining a few months back that it was "so heavy" and complicated to clean.

I cannot imagine issuing a gun like the 5906 (the gun I started with) these days.

I'm sure the agency issuing the P226 Legion did so because it's their chief's personal preference and they're probably a pretty small department. I'm also sure there is more than one of them bitching that they weren't issued a "better" gun like a P320 or Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    A big reason is that modular, polymer framed striker fired pistols are easier for our new Racoon-Pawed recruits to shoot.
    You're killing me, Smalls.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    With the type of recruits I have seen in the past two years the gun has to be light, with a trigger reach and pull light and short enough that some kid with soft tiny hands that has never done an ounce of manual labor in his or her life can pull with ease.
    OK, I'm seeing a trend here.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

All pistols require the user to keep their finger in register.

TDA's add decocking.

No decocking simplifies training, especially for non dedicated users.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Simple logic, being a bean counter. TDA is harder to train for the typical "non-enthusiast" police officer as compared to SFA pistols. Also, the simple cost comparison when buying new firearms, SFA pistols are pretty much disposable when it comes to buying in bulk. As for the Legion in terms of P320, I would certainly hope these Legions aren't equipped with that heavy grip module (the belts are heavy enough).
    Sometimes the least expensive equipment isn't the best equipment for a given organization. I'm sure there are a few departments using HK's with LEM. We went with least expensive one time on a 5 year replacement cycle and it caused a great deal of lost production and blow back from the users. The equipment was replaced after about 4 years, never made it thru the cycle. So how much did that cost the org?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List