Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Covington KY PD issues Sig Legions

Site Supporter

Covington KY PD issues Sig Legions

I've been noticing some "Legion" grips (with the insignia) in police holsters around here. Did a little research and apparently Covington replaced their .40 P226s with 9mm Legion P226s in 2019.

No real point here--other than I thought it was interesting. I usually hear of PDs moving away from DA/SA (Cincinnati PD, for instance, uses M&Ps). And I think it's especially interesting they went with Legions... which I guess I saw as more of a "boutique" product line, generally intended for consumers, not agencies/departments. Though maybe Legions are common duty guns these days? Some of the documents I found mention the "upgrades" in the Legion promoting better hand placement and control in different environments, etc.

Anyway, that is all. Carry on.

#LovetheCov

I think it's mostly bean counters buying strikers. Personally I don't see any advantage of a striker over DA/SA other than they are less expensive. If you have a dept. that is using DA/SA, why switch?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I think it's mostly bean counters buying strikers. Personally I don't see any advantage of a striker over DA/SA other than they are less expensive. If you have a dept. that is using DA/SA, why switch?
    Simple logic, being a bean counter. TDA is harder to train for the typical "non-enthusiast" police officer as compared to SFA pistols. Also, the simple cost comparison when buying new firearms, SFA pistols are pretty much disposable when it comes to buying in bulk. As for the Legion in terms of P320, I would certainly hope these Legions aren't equipped with that heavy grip module (the belts are heavy enough).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Simple logic, being a bean counter. TDA is harder to train for the typical "non-enthusiast" police officer as compared to SFA pistols. Also, the simple cost comparison when buying new firearms, SFA pistols are pretty much disposable when it comes to buying in bulk. As for the Legion in terms of P320, I would certainly hope these Legions aren't equipped with that heavy grip module (the belts are heavy enough).
    Are you guys still using the P30?

Legion 226 is not striker fired....

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Are you guys still using the P30?
    No, P320 unfortunately.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    A big reason is that modular, polymer framed striker fired pistols are easier for our new Racoon-Pawed recruits to shoot. Even with E2 grips and a short trigger, a 226 is a 226.

The 226 Legions are a bit of an ergonomic upgrade in some senses, and a downgrade in others. Our SWAT guys use them in 9mm (only 9mms issued by our agency right now) because their 226 .40's were breaking like crazy. I will say that I HATE the Legion slide release lever. Makes it all but unusable to me. Also, those medallion grips are a no go. The medallions are held in place by folding pins on the inside. Yes....they do break. And yes...the little pieces can get inside the action and the gun goes down HARD. As in takes an armorer 30 minutes to pound it open with a mallet hard. Fortunately, Sig is rectifying this, but....yeah. Bling has no place on a duty gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    No, P320 unfortunately.

That is unfortunate. A P320 would be among *my* last choice of commonly issued duty guns.

How did the P30 do perform for your agency?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Bling has no place on a duty gun.
    That is signature material there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    That is unfortunate. A P320 would be among *my* last choice of commonly issued duty guns.

How did the P30 do perform for your agency?
    The P30’s performed well and surprisingly, the P320’s have performed better.

User Tag List