Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Officers Model

Colt Officers Model

Just when I was getting bored with S&Ws and Rugers, I came across this finish-challenged-but-solid Colt OM.

This is only the second Colt DA I’ve owned/shot. The first was later coil-spring Trooper offshoot with an abominable trigger.

The blue wear undoubtedly came from this swivel holster:

It has a sweet SA trigger and shoots pretty well considering the throats measure .359 and the only bullets I have on hand are .358.

This will be a good excuse to buy another wadcutter mold[emoji6]

I only wish I had some deep woods to carry it in and pot small game like I’m always reading about.

Here in Texas, nearly all hunting lands are private, and what public lands we have are overrun by idiots. I own a smallish place on the West Fork of the Trinity, but the closest thing to small game are armadillos and piglets.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Here in Texas, nearly all hunting lands are private, and what public lands we have are overrun by idiots. I own a smallish place on the West Fork of the Trinity, but the closest thing to small game are armadillos and piglets.
    That's one of the things I miss most about being out West, and not just for hunting.

Piglets do count as small game. Bacon is good even a little at a time.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Great old shooters, had it's brother years ago. Had a friend (an old time pistolero from AZ in the 1920s) long since passed. He at age 82 was plunking groundhogs at 100 yds with serious regularity with a New Service 45 Colt just like your 38. Marvelous pieces of modern machinery, almost made by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Just when I was getting bored with S&Ws and Rugers, I came across this finish-challenged-but-solid Colt OM.
    That's not 'finish-challenged'...that's character!

Congrats, and thanks for rescuing a really nice piece of history!

-Rainman

Wow.

Can I be on the list in case you tire of it and cast it aside?

Some interesting Colt info. https://web.archive.org/web/20200413...r_s_Model.html
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-03-2021 at 09:04 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

They are fun to shoot. These are Officer Model Match guns, so they are much younger than yours. The top one is a 1961 and bottom is 1954 with aftermarket Python grips. Triggers are sweet.

Name:  P5030079.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  67.5 KB

An old girlfriend of mine just inherited one of these that, from the pictures, looks like a twin of yours. I need to drop by and give it a good safety check. A long time ago I had a Detective special or two but I really don't remember how to check Colt DAs for function really.

Could someone give me a link to a good guide for checking out a Colt for timing, safety, or anything else I need to check on this vintage piece?
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post

Could someone give me a link to a good guide for checking out a Colt for timing, safety, or anything else I need to check on this vintage piece?
    I would love to see that as well. I’ve heard that Colt lockup/timing is different from Smiths.

I might be investing in another Kuhnhausen book.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That's one of the things I miss most about being out West, and not just for hunting.

Piglets do count as small game. Bacon is good even a little at a time.
    Yeah I could use it to cap one of the little porkers, from the safety of a tree stand in case mama doesn’t take kindly to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Posts 3&4 HERE. There’s probably more in-depth instructions somewhere but these will tell you quickly whether a Colt DA is worth continuing to look at IMO.

BTW, I’m a long time S&W and Ruger guy as well but that New Service gave me a little bit of a pony cold that may be turning into full blown Colt fever. I’m looking at Trooper MK IIIs, OMs and OMMs pretty regularly online looking for my next fix.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List