Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Intro to USPSA gear

Site Supporter
    A bit late to the party,

I run the AA premium belt as well. I love a super stiff belt- and the AA is perfect for me. I run the same belt in USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 3 Gun. I have Safariland ELS clips mounted all around the belt to reconfigure pouches based on the stage or match. I also run the BOSS hanger with a Safariland QLS mount so I can swap out holsters, or remove it for a non pistol stage. I modified some neoprene on the lower part of the BOSS shank for the “digging into the leg” thing.

I have a collection of parts that aren’t made to work together- professionally modified by yours truly to work together. When I first started out I ran the AA racer pouches (the plastic ones). I managed to break every single one of the attachments. AA sent me new ones, which I promptly cracked as well. I noticed a weakness in the design/materials which I pointed out to AA. They said I was using them wrong??? Anyway, I had $200+ in pouches that I liked (Glock and AR). So I set out to make it work for me...

I really like the Safariland ELS clips for security, stability and ease of removal. But they don’t work with AA pouches, or at least they didn’t before I got ahold of them. Armed with my stippling iron (wood burner), I proceeded to melt a Safariland T nut into the center of a ELS clip. Then I drilled and tapped the T nut to match the threads of the mounting bolt of the Racer pouch. Voila, AA pouch on a Safariland ELS fork. Then how to mount the ELS to the belt? Some melt a hole in the belt to run the mounting screws. I like to reconfigure my stuff too often, so I decided to go with heavy duty zip ties. I run two 8” zip ties through a modified mounting hole in the ELS plate. With a total of 150 pounds of breaking strength- I’ve yet to break one off the belt in over 10 years worth of matches.

Or you could just buy equipment that is made to work right from the get go. But I’ve been accused of being a bit of a “tinkerer.”

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This belt is the bomb, and makes your inner belt almost insignificant. More and more of my friends are wearing them.

https://dominatedefense.com/product/mach-1-outer-belt/
    I think there may be different generations of these out there. One supposedly has a metal stiffener inside the outer belt. The advertised materials are just SCUBA webbing though. The ones I've felt, and the one that one of our local GMs bought were not stiff at all.

How does the stiffness of yours compare with a AA belt?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    I have a collection of parts that aren’t made to work together- professionally modified by yours truly to work together. When I first started out I ran the AA racer pouches (the plastic ones). I managed to break every single one of the attachments. AA sent me new ones, which I promptly cracked as well. I noticed a weakness in the design/materials which I pointed out to AA. They said I was using them wrong???
    Yikes. Did you use Locktite by any chance? Locktite causes crazing and stress fractures in ABS plastic. It will destroy a plastic mag pouch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yikes. Did you use Locktite by any chance? Locktite causes crazing and stress fractures in ABS plastic. It will destroy a plastic mag pouch.
    No, they all cracked in the exact same spot on the belt attachment. Right around where the nut was molded into the plastic. They claimed I was “over tightening” the screws. I said I would at least like them tight enough on the belt to not slide around before they break??? They plastic was just too weak.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Third, I’m looking at the Ghost 360 pouches. They check the affordability box and I’ve seen them pop up a few times in this thread. Is there any practical reason to go with anything different at this time?.
    I started out with the Ghost pouches and hated them. Ended up going to DAA racers which were great for 7-8 years, then I upgraded to the new DAA XiP and they are even better.

Site Supporter
    I just did my first match last month. I read up on it as much as I could and almost everyone said it is the shooter not the holster or belt so just go and have fun. I did that with an uncle mikes Kydex holster and mag pouches. I had a blast and didn't play the game right. I shot too slow and ended up middle of the pack with the most a-zone hits and one of the slowest times. I would take what you have go have fun and work your equipment out as you go along. Don't spend the big bucks up front and see if you like it. (I like it and am going back.)

Has anyone had any experience with the Tuff Products belts? Yes, the same folks that make revolver speed strips...

Reason I ask: I have a new G34, and I'm thinking about making up a gamer rig for it, since I need a holster anyway. I have not shot in USPSA in a long time, but I'm sorta fiddling with the idea of giving it a go again. I'd probably shoot CO, like everyone else these days. I found this after poking around previously linked gear:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/uspsa-...mag-pouch-rig/

I've been happy with Comp-Tac products in the past, and that particular holster could be set up for regular belt carry, if I ended up not going the gamer route. I'm not sure if that holster would hang onto my Gen5 Glock 19's, but I imagine it'd probably work. The belt and pouches are decent by most accounts. Then I started poking around on Amazon and found the Tuff belts (and a bunch of dubious off brand crap), that same holster, and the Ghost pouches, and I end up with a price just a smidge (~$20-25) under what it'd cost from Stoger.

Just rolling ideas around in my head right now, as I'm not sure which way I really want to go. Something Safariland with a hood covering the optic would be nice for a bang around desert/woods rig, but would increase costs substantially, and be less useful for gaming (to be frank, I probably wouldn't be anywhere near competitive, so the speed penalty is a wash for me).

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This belt is the bomb, and makes your inner belt almost insignificant. More and more of my friends are wearing them.

https://dominatedefense.com/product/mach-1-outer-belt/
    Props to you/C as my Dom. Defense belt plus GX vice holster are an excellent combo, gracias mi amigo.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 05-16-2021 at 03:04 PM.

I found this solution to mount pouches with ELS forks on a non-Safariland belt without having to mess around with the belt too much:

https://www.binaryeng.com/products/e...ible-belt-clip

I guess they're a little pricey, but they're aluminum, well made, and convenient.

AA Lynx Belt

I ordered the new Double Alpha Lynx Belt. It's a very innovative design that uses hinged, rigid, nylon tiles. (Note: I didn't order the fugly color pattern pictured below).

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-lynx-belt

User Tag List