Thread: Installing Fiber Optic into Sight? For Clean Look?

Installing Fiber Optic into Sight? For Clean Look?

I always installed fiber optics into sights using a lighter and it made a big bulbous end, which seemed almost good because it made it bigger. Although with some concern there's reduced light transmission because it's a bit burned.

I picked up a pair of sights that had the fibers pre-installed from the factory and they are installed so cleanly, it looks like magic. They're stuck in there, but no big bulb. I'm guessing they have a special tool, like a soldering iron with a super fine tip.

What's your preferred method of installing fibers into the sight? And even if you do like the bulbous appearance my sloppy lighter method produces, how is it possible to do them with clean tight finishes like from the factory?

Go slow. Bring the FO rod near the flame, never touch it. Easy gradual heat until you see it start to bulb up.

I usually pull it into the sight body while it's still soft so it'll fit to/fill the hole of the sight.

Site Supporter
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I do a bulb end because I like the slightly larger dot. I found that, if I hold the piece of FO vertically while it wave it back and forth over the lighter, I get a more symmetrical bulb. It usually takes me several tries. 1 or 2 burned too much, 1 or 2 lopsided, etc. With that experience in mind, the spares in my range bag already have one end formed.

User Tag List