Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have there been any decent spy/action/thriller movies in recent years? List them here

Have there been any decent spy/action/thriller movies in recent years? List them here

Early reviews of Without Remorse from the P-F cognoscenti are not good. Same for Jack Ryan series.

I'm scratching my head and wondering if there have been many decent films in recent years outside of the often-mentioned Sicario, John Wick and Wind River?

I can give a luke warm endorsement for Extraction. Gun play is better than average. The amount of violence is staggering and it's not 'realistic' by normal standards but it's grounded in reality and more believable say John Wick. It's on Netflix.

List your recommendations, if you don't mind.

If you’re open to TV shows, The Night Manager was a great miniseries that’s available on Prime. I also enjoyed Counterpart in Prime as well.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I liked the Killing Eve series.

Only a few to mind so far: 13 hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, Mission Impossible: Fallout, The Outpost.

A few years old, but I enjoyed Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    If you’re open to TV shows, The Night Manager was a great miniseries that’s available on Prime. I also enjoyed Counterpart in Prime as well.
    Night Manager gets very positive reviews. I had not heard of it. I'm a big Lecarre but haven't read the Night Manager. Thanks for the recommendation. It's going in my queue.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Night Manager gets very positive reviews. I had not heard of it. I'm a big Lecarre but haven't read the Night Manager. Thanks for the recommendation. It's going in my queue.
    It’s more than a few years old, but I thought the Gary Oldman version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was excellent.

It’s still filming, but Gary Oldman is starring in an Apple TV adaptation of Mick Herron’s Slow Horses book series, which is probably my favorite book series right now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Early reviews of Without Remorse from the P-F cognoscenti are not good. Same for Jack Ryan series.

I'm scratching my head and wondering if there have been many decent films in recent years outside of the often-mentioned Sicario, John Wick and Wind River?

I can give a luke warm endorsement for Extraction. Gun play is better than average. The amount of violence is staggering and it's not 'realistic' by normal standards but it's grounded in reality and more believable say John Wick. It's on Netflix.

List your recommendations, if you don't mind.
    Sicario isn't realistic either but it's entertaining

Fauda - Israeli TV anti-terrorism show on Netflix

Mosul - 2019 Arab film about an Iraqi police SWAT team battling ISIS in Mosul

Triple Frontier - American Ex Special Forces rip off a drug cartel

Zero, Zero,Zero - Italian series on netflix about the Italian mafia's cocaine trafficking from Mexico into Europe. Pretty decent.

Site Supporter
    I watched the first couple episodes of Tehran on Apple TV.

It was pretty good to start with. It's about a Mossad agent in Tehran.

I made it a bit into the third episode, but I had little bit of trouble suspending disbelief, as there were some scenarios that looked set up for drama/intrigue. I may continue watching it.

But, really, a realistic show about Mossad agents in Tehran would probably be pretty drama free, silent and boring:

What happened? How did that guy die? We don't know, it just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    It’s more than a few years old, but I thought the Gary Oldman version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was excellent.

It’s still filming, but Gary Oldman is starring in an Apple TV adaptation of Mick Herron’s Slow Horses book series, which is probably my favorite book series right now.
    This, Tinker, Tailor Soldier, Spy was great. Not sure if realistic, but lots of acting, very little shooting.

User Tag List