Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have there been any decent spy/action/thriller movies in recent years? List them here

If you include 2015 in "recent years", then Spectre (James Bond). But I suppose for most of us, this movie is obviously decent, if not great. I mention it for completeness.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    If you’re open to TV shows, The Night Manager was a great miniseries that’s available on Prime. I also enjoyed Counterpart in Prime as well.
    The Night Manager was excellent. Deviates a bit from the book, but I think the changes made for a more enjoyable series. The same production company is also behind The Little Drummer Girl mini-series, which was a faithful adaptation of the Le Carre novel, but a much slower burn. They're also behind the film adaptations of A Most Wanted Man and Our Kind of Traitor, which are well acted, but also slow burns. I'd only recommend the latter three if you're a Le Carre fan - The Night Manager has more mainstream appeal.

Counterpart was cancelled before its time, but the Season Two finale serves well enough as a series conclusion. It's a great show for the pandemic.

I'd add Operation Finale to the list. They deviated from history to amp up the drama, but still a good movie.

Last, Six Days was well done - a depiction of Operation Nimrod (the SAS raid on the Iranian Embassy in London).
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    A few years old, but I enjoyed Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks
    Thank you! I just checked: This movie is included in Amazon Prime at least here in Germany. I did not know the movie yet, will watch it soon.
    Last edited by P30; 05-02-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Tinker, Tailor Soldier, Spy and A Most Wanted Man are great suggestions. Good Le Carre adaptations are worth their weight in gold. Thinking man stuff, not much gun play.

For something more kinetic, try Body of Lies.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Den of Thieves was pretty good. Gun handling is mixed - some good, some sloppy. There's one handed manipulations that are executed pretty well. L.A. vibe. Gerard Buttler plays a complex character. Nice plot twist towards the end. Free on Netflix.

Started "McMafia" on AMC last night. Russian mafia version of Sopranos. One of the actors from
    "Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy", and one from "Munich" that I recognize. Pretty good, I'll keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    This, Tinker, Tailor Soldier, Spy was great. Not sure if realistic, but lots of acting, very little shooting.
    But it pales in comparison with the old BBC version (6 one-hour episodes) starring Alec Guinness. I have it and the sequel, Smiley's People, on DVD.

I'm trying to think of other recent forays into the OPs requested area. I tried "The Gunman" starring Sean Penn and Javier Bardem, but despite the solid actors the story seemed kinda dumb. Action scenes were okay. Many have described it as "Sean Penn's 'Taken'", i.e. old actor suddenly doing action flicks.

The second Sicario had a great setup and then the story turned into a mess that truly made no sense.

I've been watching Narcos and Narcos: Mexico on Netflix. As long as you're cool with subtitles, they are very well-done (or if you are a fluent Spanish speaker).

Site Supporter
    I enjoyed Sicario, Extraction, and Den of Thieves for what they are. In the same vain I enjoyed Old Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    I've been watching Narcos and Narcos: Mexico on Netflix. As long as you're cool with subtitles, they are very well-done (or if you are a fluent Spanish speaker).
    +1. Both were captivating.

I only knew a few words of Spanish so I was dependent on the subtitles. Now I know a few more, mostly variants of the Spanish for asshole.

Site Supporter
    French action film “15 Minutes of War” about the GIGN rescues of school bus hostages in Djibouti in the 1970s.

User Tag List