Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What distance do you zero pistol optic?

What distance do you zero pistol optic?

Title says it all. I've got a Holosun green dot mounted directly on a HK VP9 (no mounting plate) zeroed at 20 yards. This is strictly a self defence gun; I don't compete, but still want accuracy at a distance.

What distance do you recommend for zero?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    Title says it all. I've got a Holosun green dot mounted directly on a HK VP9 (no mounting plate) zeroed at 20 yards. This is strictly a self defence gun; I don't compete, but still want accuracy at a distance.

Personally, I zero with carry ammo at 10yds
    and fine tune if / as necessary at 25.
    YMMV

I do 10 yards with maximal effort to get the zero perfect with my ammo and confirm at 25 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    25yd, for those who can consistently shoot a decent group at that distance
    10yd, others
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I do 10 yards with maximal effort to get the zero perfect with my ammo and confirm at 25 yds.
    This...

10yds to minimize chasing, then fine tune at 25.

I like a 25 yard zero with irons or dot.

Interestingly, there's a youtube video of Jedi saying the elevation difference between a 10 yard zero and 25 yards is 0.7 inches. I imagine it's somewhat dependent on ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    This...

10yds to minimize chasing, then fine tune at 25.
    This is my plan when I get my PX4 slide back from Langdon.

I've thought about this quite a bit, and have arrived at these conclusions.

The longer the range you can use to zero the optic, the "flatter" will be the trajectory of the collimated laser beam to the bullet. The shorter the range, the more angular will be the beam.

Numerically, I computed error of shot placement, with perfect geometry (i.e. bullet travels straight) for a typical deck height (Holosun 507c on a FCD Plate on a G34). I have a spreadsheet with this stuff, but will cut in some examples.

Here is a portion with the definitions and 7 yard zero numbers: (There are other column groups computing errors for 10, 15, and 25 yard zeros).

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  71.5 KB

Here is the run for 25:

Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 595
Size:  12.0 KB

What does this mean?

Well, basically the math suggests the "range" of error in sight vs. bullet placement will be smaller with a 25 yd zero (1.0" spread) vs if you zero at 10 yards (2.6") (bear in mind I compute the error out to 35 yards.) So a longer zero will result in less error, overall.

But if course your situation may vary. You may not be able to hold a group at 25. You may not choose to shoot off a rest. You may prefer a zero at "typical" CCW engagement ranges of 3-7 yards. Many things may go into your choice of how you zero.

"For me", I can just about hold a group at 10 that's meaningful, in terms of trigger control. I would like to be better, but that's where I am. I also prefer to shoot 2 hand unsupported, since that's how I intend to use the gun in my situation (random retired .civ dude trying to stay off YouTube).

So at the end of the day, I use a target I designed for my sights for 10, and then try and confirm out to both 25 yards on an NRA B-8, as well as on 1" squares closer in at like 7 yards.

My_MRDS_ZERO_AT_10.pdf

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I've thought about this quite a bit, and have arrived at these conclusions.

The longer the range you can use to zero the optic, the "flatter" will be the trajectory of the collimated laser beam to the bullet. The shorter the range, the more angular will be the beam.

Numerically, I computed error of shot placement, with perfect geometry (i.e. bullet travels straight) for a typical deck height (Holosun 507c on a FCD Plate on a G34). I have a spreadsheet with this stuff, but will cut in some examples.

Here is a portion with the definitions and 7 yard zero numbers:

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  71.5 KB

Here is the run for 25:

Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 595
Size:  12.0 KB

What does this mean?

Well, basically the math suggests the "range" of errors in sight vs. bullet placement will be minimized at 25 (1.0" spread) vs if you zero at 10 yards (2.6") (bear in mind I compute the error out to 35 yards.) So a longer zero will result in less error, overall.

But if course your situation may vary. You may not be able to hold a group at 25. You may not choose to shoot off a rest. You may prefer a zero at "typical" CCW engagement ranges of 3-7 yards. Many things may go into your choice of how you zero.

"For me", I can just about hold a group at 10 that's meaningful, in terms of trigger control. I would like to be better, but that's where I am. I also prefer to shoot 2 hand unsupported, since that's how I intend to use the gun in my situation (random retired .civ dude trying to stay off YouTube).

So at the end of the day, I use a target I designed for my sights for 10, and then try and confirm out to both 25 yards on an NRA B-8, as well as on 1" squares closer in at like 7 yards.

My_MRDS_ZERO_AT_10.pdf
    Spot on. If you zero free style rather than off a bench I would zero at 10 and confirm at 25 which usually puts you within an inch at 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I

Interestingly, there's a youtube video of Jedi saying the elevation difference between a 10 yard zero and 25 yards is 0.7 inches. I imagine it's somewhat dependent on ammo.
    I'm not seeing that numerically; kinda looks like 1.4" for me, using a 10 yard zero and the optical bore axis height of my 507c. But could be; I will absolutely not contradict anything Jedi says. He's forgotten more about dots than I'll ever know.

Here is my 10 yard zero computation.

Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 618
Size:  12.3 KB

User Tag List