Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A robot made a Glock for me

A robot made a Glock for me

Do you want to build yourself a Glock-ish pistol? One option would be to buy a P80 frame. But there's another option, 3D printing. For those of you who aren't familiar with consumer-level 3D printing, the gist is that a computer-controlled nozzle melts plastic filament and then deposits the melted plastic in a specific pattern, producing a plastic part. The initial outlay for 3D printing is a bit more than buying a P80 frame, since you'll need to buy the 3D printer. Popular models are available for ~$300. The printer can also be used for a lot more things than making firearm receivers. This is PF though, so let's keep it gun-related. Try the Gatalog or Ctrl Pew for firearms print files.

For this thread, I'll be printing an FDMA DD19.2 Glock 19-sized pistol frame.

The print takes awhile to finish. This is about a third of the way through.

Final print time. The print is done in many small layers .15mm at a time.
    Name:  completed status.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  48.3 KB

There's a lot of supports needed to hold the actual receiver while it's being printed. This frame is <$5 worth of filament, so if something goes wrong, no big loss.
    Name:  completed print.jpg
Size:  65.1 KB

The supports break off fairly easily in about 5 minutes or so, using your hands and some sort of thin metal tool. I used a letter opener.
    Name:  removing flashing 2.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  63.2 KB
    Name:  removing flashing.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  60.3 KB

The underside of the frame was a little rough, but some 400-grit sandpaper smoothed it out.
    Name:  completed underside.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  28.7 KB

Same with the bottom of the magwell. Unlike a factory frame, there's no cavity behind the magwell, it's completely solid.
    Name:  completed magwell.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  31.0 KB

Other than that, the frame is mostly the same as a factory frame, except there's additional space for the metal frame rails.
    Name:  internal receiver.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  55.9 KB

Since it's not possible to print the frame around the rails, the design allows them to be inserted once the frame is finished printing. You may have noticed the extra hole shown in previous pictures, for the pin that holds the front rails. The rear rails are held in with the same factory pin that holds the trigger housing.
    Name:  rails.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  100.6 KB

Several different companies make rails that fit the FMDA frames, for ~$30 a set. The pin holes are printed ever-so-slightly undersized, and part of the assembly is to drill out the holes so that they're the correct size. It doesn't require a jig like a P80 frame though. Assembly is slightly more complicated than detail stripping a factory frame, but not much. The ZIP file that contains the print files also includes a detailed PDF with photos on the steps required for assembly. Other than drilling out the pin holes, the only other fitting my print required was hitting the hole for the mag catch slightly with a rat-tail file, so that the mag catch didn't stick.
    Name:  internals installed.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  52.1 KB

There's a small problem with the design, where factory G19 mags don't quite lock in the magwell. Apparently this is a known issue and will be fixed in a later revision of the design. I'll probably try dremeling a small notch in the magwell and see if that fixes it.
    Name:  G19 mag.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  88.2 KB

G17 mags lock in just fine though. Whenever a newer version is released, I can just print that out, move all the parts over to the new frame, then cut up and trash this frame. Anyways, I want to try printing a frame with a different glass-fiber reinforced filament that is claimed to be stronger than the regular PLA filament I used.
    Name:  G17 mag.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  87.4 KB

Gonna go to the range in the afternoon and try shooting it.

Chuck Schumer just had an aneurysm and he didn't even read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Chuck Schumer just had an aneurysm and he didn't even read this post.
    *puts printer on endless loop of hopes and prayers of this being true*
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Hark! The sound of black helicopters warming up…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Pretty cool that it's printed pre-stippled. I suppose on you could give it just about any custom texture you want that way.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The hard part would be you'd have to design the texture in the 3D model. Just like nobody's apparently bothered to fix the kittened bottom of the grip even though it's common knowledge it doesn't work with the magazines it matches in length, you need some decently powerful software and the skills to use it to move the ball.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Are you actually going to hold it in your hand when pull the trigger for the first time? I'm not an engineer but I would mount it to a vise and pull trigger somehow from a distance. Of course Gaston Glock was holding his G17 proto-type in his non-dominant hand when he tested it out for the first time (in case...you know...kB)

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Pretty cool that it's printed pre-stippled. I suppose on you could give it just about any custom texture you want that way.
    The black frame shown above is actually the second frame I printed. The first frame I printed was the original FMDA DD19.2 design, with smooth grips. It was done that way to make it easier to make modifications. Someone else made a modification of the original design to add the stippling, which is what I used for the black frame.

This was the first frame I printed.
    Name:  first frame.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  78.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Are you actually going to hold it in your hand when pull the trigger for the first time? I'm not an engineer but I would mount it to a vise and pull trigger somehow from a distance. Of course Gaston Glock was holding his G17 proto-type in his non-dominant hand when he tested it out for the first time (in case...you know...kB)
    I don't see why not. Everything other than the frame and rails are factory Glock parts; I'm not particularly concerned that it's going fail to contain the round going off.
    Last edited by CleverNickname; 05-02-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Do you want to build yourself a Glock-ish pistol? One option would be to buy a P80 frame. But there's another option, 3D printing. For those of you who aren't familiar with consumer-level 3D printing, the gist is that a computer-controlled nozzle melts plastic filament and then deposits the melted plastic in a specific pattern, producing a plastic part. The initial outlay for 3D printing is a bit more than buying a P80 frame, since you'll need to buy the 3D printer. Popular models are available for ~$300. The printer can also be used for a lot more things than making firearm receivers. This is PF though, so let's keep it gun-related. Try the Gatalog or Ctrl Pew for firearms print files.

For this thread, I'll be printing an FDMA DD19.2 Glock 19-sized pistol frame.

The print takes awhile to finish. This is about a third of the way through.

Final print time. The print is done in many small layers .15mm at a time.
    Name:  completed status.jpg
Size:  48.3 KB

There's a lot of supports needed to hold the actual receiver while it's being printed. This frame is <$5 worth of filament, so if something goes wrong, no big loss.
    Name:  completed print.jpg
Size:  65.1 KB

The supports break off fairly easily in about 5 minutes or so, using your hands and some sort of thin metal tool. I used a letter opener.
    Name:  removing flashing 2.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  63.2 KB
    Name:  removing flashing.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  60.3 KB

The underside of the frame was a little rough, but some 400-grit sandpaper smoothed it out.
    Name:  completed underside.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  28.7 KB

Same with the bottom of the magwell. Unlike a factory frame, there's no cavity behind the magwell, it's completely solid.
    Name:  completed magwell.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  31.0 KB

Other than that, the frame is mostly the same as a factory frame, except there's additional space for the metal frame rails.
    Name:  internal receiver.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  55.9 KB

Since it's not possible to print the frame around the rails, the design allows them to be inserted once the frame is finished printing. You may have noticed the extra hole shown in previous pictures, for the pin that holds the front rails. The rear rails are held in with the same factory pin that holds the trigger housing.
    Name:  rails.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  100.6 KB

Several different companies make rails that fit the FMDA frames, for ~$30 a set. The pin holes are printed ever-so-slightly undersized, and part of the assembly is to drill out the holes so that they're the correct size. It doesn't require a jig like a P80 frame though. Assembly is slightly more complicated than detail stripping a factory frame, but not much. The ZIP file that contains the print files also includes a detailed PDF with photos on the steps required for assembly. Other than drilling out the pin holes, the only other fitting my print required was hitting the hole for the mag catch slightly with a rat-tail file, so that the mag catch didn't stick.
    Name:  internals installed.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  52.1 KB

There's a small problem with the design, where factory G19 mags don't quite lock in the magwell. Apparently this is a known issue and will be fixed in a later revision of the design. I'll probably try dremeling a small notch in the magwell and see if that fixes it.
    Name:  G19 mag.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  88.2 KB

G17 mags lock in just fine though. Whenever a newer version is released, I can just print that out, move all the parts over to the new frame, then cut up and trash this frame. Anyways, I want to try printing a frame with a different glass-fiber reinforced filament that is claimed to be stronger than the regular PLA filament I used.
    Name:  G17 mag.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  87.4 KB

Gonna go to the range in the afternoon and try shooting it.
    what is the printing media? Is it the same type of glass filled polymer or whatever Glock calls it?

Quote Originally Posted by 23JAZ View Post
    what is the printing media? Is it the same type of glass filled polymer or whatever Glock calls it?
    I used the Prusa PLA that I got when I got the printer. That doesn't have glass in it, but you can get glass-filled polymer which the designer of the FMDA DD19.2 claims will result in a frame which is roughly the same strength as a factory frame.

e: something like this
    https://www.3dxtech.com/product/fibrex-nylon-gf30/

User Tag List