Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 32 ACP Field Pistol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Read the whole Ed Harris article. The .32 ACP Handi is nearly identical in concept to my CVA Scout in .300 BLK with reduced loads using the Hornady .309 XTP bullet. Haven't actually loaded any yet, but it is meant to be a darn good answer to the "racoon gun" question, among other things.

The CVA is a takedown with 16.5-inch barrel. No iron sights, but a tiny little LPVO or fixed scope should work well. Could go at 850-900 fps pistol speed unsuppressed, 1050 fps with the can, or step on it a little for decisive hits on close-range small/medium varmints.

Can also do that with 90gr XTP .380 bullets loaded in 9mm cases. There is some +P load data around. From a longish barrel like a G34 or USP Expert, 1300+ fps is reasonable. Wouldn't be quiet, but would be effective on stuff under 30 lb at handgun range.

Hmmm.... I just remembered I have a spare P250 .380 barrel. Will have to think about how/whether it could be made into a .32 NAA.
    And of course, one can do similar long gun things with the variety of loadings available/that can be made for a .357 lever action carbine, Ruger bolt, or single shot break open.

Great thread and cool article. I always enjoy Ed Harris articles. The downside is now I want a Colt 1903 in .32 ACP. And a .32 ACP Contender barrel.

In many ways, this article reminds me of a "Gun Digest" article by Francis E. Sell, who expounded upon the virtues of the .25-20 and .32-20 in a Marlin lever action rifle. Mr. Sell worked as a timber cruiser during the Great Depression and often fed himself with the game harvested with his Marlin rifles, especially the .25-20. Amazon has his book on deer hunting. https://www.amazon.com/Deer-Hunters-.../dp/B0006BLZIY

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Great thread and cool article. I always enjoy Ed Harris articles. The downside is now I want a Colt 1903 in .32 ACP. And a .32 ACP Contender barrel.

In many ways, this article reminds me of a "Gun Digest" article by Francis E. Sell, who expounded upon the virtues of the .25-20 and .32-20 in a Marlin lever action rifle. Mr. Sell worked as a timber cruiser during the Great Depression and often fed himself with the game harvested with his Marlin rifles, especially the .25-20. Amazon has his book on deer hunting. https://www.amazon.com/Deer-Hunters-.../dp/B0006BLZIY
    I recently found that Sell book in a Half Price bookstore and jumped on it. I always enjoyed his writing (and Harris) in my grandpa’s Gun Digest collection.

To see if it would be worth the money to commission custom irons for the .380 EZ, I hiked out to a clearing with the dog:

Name:  DtD_test_1.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  DtD_test_2.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  29.2 KB

The night sights on my Performance Center gun drive the dot. At seven yards, the dot covers the entire 3" circle, nevermind the rest of the sight. This was the best I could muster while kneeling unsupported and very rusty with this pistol. First group about 3" then down to 2" and a bit under. I bet serrated black fixed sights with a steep front could do much better with my eyes and at further distances.

Will now definitely be contacting some sight makers for something a bit thinner with 15-25 yard zero as previously posted. Worst case, I score some base model sights, black out the dots, and file the front to regulate to my flat nose handloads which clock about 950fps from this bottomfeeder. Having typed that, my wife prefers the night sights to the plain on her base model. I can start off by just swapping them around.

Edit with note to self: Also need to contact Ameriglo. The Defoor pattern sights would be nearly ideal for this application. A reasonably fine but still readily visible and trackable front and well proportioned rear. Also relatively inexpensive. They just need to make them for more than GLOCKs.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 05-02-2021 at 12:33 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Because my little terrier brain won't let go of things until I find answers, I did find a .32 ACP JHP bullet. Graf's has Prvi Partisan 71gr JHP in stock. Stands to reason it would be a Euro company still making them, since .32 is widely considered appropriate for civilians over there. Also popular with unsavory elements and their pocket pistols, I understand.

Also stumbled onto http://www.corbins.com/ Let the bad ideas roll...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Extreme Cavitator from Lehigh

Also as a requisite .32 NAA Hipster...these are in my reloading box. Waiting for me to have time for reloading.

Name:  E0940BDF-E29E-43E3-9541-466D287D7730.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  EBF517F4-E204-4FDC-A5BB-2E1789FD0E8D.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  75.8 KB

And I'm not saying I'm on the look out for a Beretta 82BB plus basically every other .32 that was also chambered in .380 to convert...but I've priced chamber reamers and done the math. I need to convert four guns to make it worth it...

I had one of the Colt 1903 32s. I thought it would make a great small game gun, but mine wasnt accurate enough (or I wanst able to shoot it well enough?) for bunnies at the ranges I commonly shot them at in Arizona, I fell back to the Smith K-22 and various centerfire revolvers.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I need to convert four guns to make it worth it...
    Ya gotta do what you gotta do.

This makes me want an updated, LTT-esque version of the Beretta 81 even more.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I ditched my 84 because it was one of the later ones with the "improved" safety, but it still had a distinct detent click into a "not on safe yet" position that would allow it to fire.

I seem to have an idea that French police at some point carried a 92 variant in .32 Auto (although I could be mistaken and it was really the little guns). Imagine how many rounds a full-size B92 in .32 Auto could hold...

There's also this DOA cartridge that I still think was a good idea:
    https://military.wikia.org/wiki/7.92%C3%9724mm
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-03-2021 at 05:42 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List