Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 32 ACP Field Pistol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I've got a .36 cal 1851 Navy and I'm going to build a .36 cal Squirrel Rifle to go with it.

Basically, the equivalent of a .32 H&R/.32-20 in black powder and percussion.
    And there’s no such thing as a muzzle loading SBR. If I still had easy access to some hunting land a 12” front stuffer in .32 would be sweet little squirrel gun.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This and the wadcutter thread gave me a really dumb idea.

A Contender, but scaled down from N frame size to J frame size. Use J frame grips and as many J frame action parts as made sense to use. All the same advantages of lightness, short overall length, long barrel with closed chamber, etc. Dovetail the barrel for adjustable, low-profile Novak sights. No cylinder to make it fat in your pocket or in a pancake when tromping under the trees. No need for anything more powerful than .38 SPL +P. Could be pretty cool.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-08-2021 at 05:13 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

S&W made a 32 long revolver with a 4" barrel. 32 APC is nice but if you want small game that's your ticket. Pretty amazing J/I frames but ammo is non existent. It's what they call a dead cartridge.

I see 32 APC on the shelf, or did, but 32 Long is long gone. It died with the I frame revolvers. RIP.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-08-2021 at 06:47 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    S&W made a 32 long revolver with a 4" barrel. 32 APC is nice but if you want small game that's your ticket. Pretty amazing J/I frames but ammo is non existent. It's what they call a dead cartridge.

I see 32 APC on the shelf, or did, but 32 Long is long gone. It died with the I frame revolvers. RIP.
    I still see a fair amount of .32 Long on shelves at prices comparable to .32 ACP. It’s not a dead cartridge, it still has a pretty loyal following in the .32 caliber crowd. It’s also a handloader’s dream cartridge, especially if one casts one’s own boolits.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I still see a fair amount of .32 Long on shelves at prices comparable to .32 ACP. It’s not a dead cartridge, it still has a pretty loyal following in the .32 caliber crowd. It’s also a handloader’s dream cartridge, especially if one casts one’s own boolits.
    I don't cast but I load it. Just bought 500 from SNS Casting. There isn't a big run on 32 swc.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

A Contender, but scaled down from N frame size to J frame size. Use J frame grips and as many J frame action parts as made sense to use. All the same advantages of lightness, short overall length, long barrel with closed chamber, etc. Dovetail the barrel for adjustable, low-profile Novak sights. No cylinder to make it fat in your pocket or in a pancake when tromping under the trees. No need for anything more powerful than .38 SPL +P. Could be pretty cool.

I have a slightly different take, a K frame Smith. The K-22s are crazy expensive. Im sort of keeping an eye out for a beater grade K frame centerfire with adjustable sights that I can make a 32 out of. I have a K-22 barrel that can be rebored to 32, and am watching for an affordable 22 cylinder to do the same with.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Ruger® New Model Single-Six® Single-Action Revolver Model 6538

There is this, if only you could find one right now. I have emails in place to do the .410 conversion thanks to

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    https://chaszel.com/product/327-fede...tgun-adapters/
    Above is the guy I’ve been in contact with. Last email he said he was hoping to have more .32 barrel stock this summer. My present plan is to get an 18” adapter from .410 to .32 H&R or .327, and have it permanently attached inside the existing .410 barrel & add an XS front sight on a short ramp & a rear peep sight. I have a local machinist that’s agreed to do the work after I get and vet the adapter.

Plan B is stubbing the barrel with a take off .30 cal rifle barrel and chambering it for .32 H&R.

I am thinking a birthday present to myself, its a big one in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I have a slightly different take, a K frame Smith. The K-22s are crazy expensive. Im sort of keeping an eye out for a beater grade K frame centerfire with adjustable sights that I can make a 32 out of. I have a K-22 barrel that can be rebored to 32, and am watching for an affordable 22 cylinder to do the same with.
    I was really fortunate to acquire a 16-4 back when they weren’t collectible. I have a couple of .32 Mag J frames that get a bit sporty running heavier bullets. The K frame just absorbs that recoil like a champ. Running .32 Longs through it is an absolute pleasure.

I have a cosmetically challenged 17-5 with an 8 3/8” barrel that I’ve pondered converting to .32 Mag...of course then I’d need to acquire another K frame .22.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

A long time ago there actually was something kinda along those lines; the Stevens Model 35 in 32 Rimfire. Lower power than you are talking about, but super slim and light and more than a 22. http://ericnestor.com/the-forgotten-...tip-up-pistol/

Have you ever played around with a contender with a 6" barrel? A skinny 3-4" barrel with a minimal handguard and a cut down grip would be maybe a little lighter than you think, but still more than many revolvers and no sort of pocket pistol. I foolishly passed on a 6" .357 magnum barrel that Ron's in Bossier city had years ago. I have a picture of it somewhere but can't find it right off.

An old 4" Colt Police Positive is a lovely thing for this kind of work also, particularly in .32 NP / S&W Long. There are a decent number of 3" 60s vintage Cobra's our there in .32NP also....

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I have 10-inch octagon barrels in .22LR and .38 SPL for my Contender. Haven't really looked into shorter, but as you suggest, it's just hard to see it being a pocket option, no matter how short the barrel. I don't think you can get it usefully more compact than a K frame, let alone a J.

I have a Browning 1911-22 that's delightfully flat and compact, as well as a Buck Mark Challenge 5.5 with the pencil barrel that has a URX grip in the box next to it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List