Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The 32 ACP Field Pistol

I tend to go whole hog on new ideas... also have a threaded 10” .357 Contender barrel, Puma 92, & a threaded 77/357. And I LOVE all 3...

But I keep thinking the svelte purpose built bunny gun just sounds so classically beautiful. And it should sound like that without a can. Hell, I bought .32acp dies after the first time I read Ed’s article. Then a mess of .32 S&W long, short, & H&R ammo... all before I even found the Contender barrel.
    Last edited by jandbj; 05-04-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'd like a Beretta 81 at some point, but for a field pistol of sorts put me down for a Ruger new model single six or SP101 in .32 H&R.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Ed Harris 32 bunny gun... Already have a .32 H&R 10” Contender barrel for the SBR. And also have a pre-war 410 just waiting for me to find the right guy to line that barrel for a .32 H&R chambering and some iron sights. This is turning out to be as much fun as the @JCN round gun threads.

This is a thing? I have my very fist gun a H&R Topper in 410 that gathers dust, it may get used once every 5 years or so. Google don't fail me now...

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Considering that Beretta managed to make the 81 series double-stack .32 Autos hold *less* than the .380 versions, who knows? (I'm sure it has to do with the .32 ACP being a semi-rimmed case).

I'd be surprised if the .32 Auto had enough guts to operate a 92/96 locking system. Maybe with an aluminum slide. Now a blowback upper sort of like the .22 trainer kits, that would probably be doable, but never heard of it.

I've got a couple of Beretta .32's including the Titanium Tomcat and the 81BB, and while they've both been for sale here for awhile, they never generated much interest. Lots of possiblilities with the little .32, but it's a pretty overlooked cartridge here in the US.
    There'd be zero commercial prospects for it, but I personally would love to see a .32 AutoComp (i.e. a true rimless version of the .32 ACP)

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    This is a thing? I have my very fist gun a H&R Topper in 410 that gathers dust, it may get used once every 5 years or so. Google don't fail me now...
    The concept has been around for awhile. There's been a few gun writers that have talked about having a single shot .410 converted to one of the .32 caliber rimmed chambering and then went on to extoll it's virtues, much to my disgust.

I've approached three "custom" gunsmiths with a single shot .410 and a wad of cash and all three have blown me off. I've just about diced to get MGM to build me a 16 1/4" barrel for the Contender in .327 Federal and buy a stock kit and roll that way. I'm mostly certain it will be cheaper and easier in the long run.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

One avenue to a .32 single shot rifle--and a rifle that will be more svelte than a T/C Contender or Encore--is obtaining a Martini-Henry in .310 Cadet, or finding a Martini action that already has been converted to .32-20, which was a very common conversion.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The concept has been around for awhile. There's been a few gun writers that have talked about having a single shot .410 converted to one of the .32 caliber rimmed chambering and then went on to extoll it's virtues, much to my disgust.

I've approached three "custom" gunsmiths with a single shot .410 and a wad of cash and all three have blown me off. I've just about diced to get MGM to build me a 16 1/4" barrel for the Contender in .327 Federal and buy a stock kit and roll that way. I'm mostly certain it will be cheaper and easier in the long run.
    "Stubbing" H&Rs is common enough. The place where H&R people hang out seems to be the dedicated subforum on go2gbo.com. You might find someone there who would do it for you.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    https://chaszel.com/product/327-fede...tgun-adapters/
    Above is the guy I’ve been in contact with. Last email he said he was hoping to have more .32 barrel stock this summer. My present plan is to get an 18” adapter from .410 to .32 H&R or .327, and have it permanently attached inside the existing .410 barrel & add an XS front sight on a short ramp & a rear peep sight. I have a local machinist that’s agreed to do the work after I get and vet the adapter.

Plan B is stubbing the barrel with a take off .30 cal rifle barrel and chambering it for .32 H&R.

I've got a .36 cal 1851 Navy and I'm going to build a .36 cal Squirrel Rifle to go with it.

Basically, the equivalent of a .32 H&R/.32-20 in black powder and percussion.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Ed Harris 32 bunny gun... Already have a .32 H&R 10” Contender barrel for the SBR. And also have a pre-war 410 just waiting for me to find the right guy to line that barrel for a .32 H&R chambering and some iron sights. This is turning out to be as much fun as the @JCN round gun threads.
    I have one of those barrels also, and two contender frames. I am ashamed to admit that I never thought about registering one as an SBR! I was actually thinking about a 26" custom barrel in .45 Colt for slow/heavy/quiet without needing a suppressor. Hmmmm....

A couple years back I bought a Remington ?#4? Take Down Rolling Block in 32 Rimfire that a local gunsmith is going to convert to a .32 magnum for me. He normally does them into .32-20s but I have a bunch of long and magnum brass already. Should be a lot of fun. I love vintage .32 revolvers but never really dove into the autos. An FN1922 with custom sights would be an easy project gun with lots of fun potential for trail use.

User Tag List