Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The 32 ACP Field Pistol

Dawson got back to me with a polite but explicit declination of custom sight development for my .380 EZ. I might be tempted to swap sights with my wife's base model, chop the front and rear off their bases, and braze or weld on the chopped front and rear from a set of Defoor to a GLOCK 43 or 19.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Dawson got back to me with a polite but explicit declination of custom sight development for my .380 EZ. I might be tempted to swap sights with my wife's base model, chop the front and rear off their bases, and braze or weld on the chopped front and rear from a set of Defoor to a GLOCK 43 or 19.
    Not entirely surprising. I bet Karl Sokol could make you some cool sights....

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    Not entirely surprising. I bet Karl Sokol could make you some cool sights....
    Mike LaRocca in Worcester, MA might be up to that challenge too. I’ve seen some custom PPK sights he did years back.

I'll keep those names in mind.

Now I want to have a set of sights milled on my 1907 Savage...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Now I want to have a set of sights milled on my 1907 Savage...
    Someone, maybe Cylinder and Slide(?), was retrofitting Novak revolver sights on Colt Pocket Hammerless pistols a few years back. Thought about having it done but my wife let me know, without uncertainty, I was NOT to experiment with her pistol [that I've had maybe more than decade before I met the wife :-) ]
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I had one of the Colt 1903 32s. I thought it would make a great small game gun, but mine wasnt accurate enough (or I wanst able to shoot it well enough?) for bunnies at the ranges I commonly shot them at in Arizona, I fell back to the Smith K-22 and various centerfire revolvers.
    I wasn't able to shoot the Colt M1903, either, and it wasn't the sights. I bought two of them and I think it was the grip safety that gave me problems - I guess I primarily hold onto a handgun grip loosely at the top, and the M1903's grip safety requires me to hold onto it somewhat tightly at the top of the grip. Funny - at seven yards I could hit a 3x5 card better with my no-sights Seecamp LWS32 than with my M1903. 1903's now sold. I'd buy another .32, though.

Colt M1903

Mine is a Type III made in 1914. Bore is "dark but strong" with frosting throughout, but accurate enough, 4 inches at 25 yards sandbag with RWS factory hardball, and 90 - grain cast Accurate 31-090B of .312 diameter and 2 grains of TiteGroup shaves an inch off that for 900 fps in a full - mag 8- round "dump". I kept the original rear sight, but Sandy Garrett milled a 0.10" square notch in it and then he installed a larger 0.080" wide ramp front which he drilled and filled with white stove enamel and cut to zero so that it hits to point of impact on the dot. Very satisfied. Gun was a clunker, so the new sights, grit blast and matte blue were the right fix, as not a collector piece. The Church Gun.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-25-2021 at 04:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Great thread and cool article. I always enjoy Ed Harris articles. The downside is now I want a Colt 1903 in .32 ACP. And a .32 ACP Contender barrel.

In many ways, this article reminds me of a "Gun Digest" article by Francis E. Sell, who expounded upon the virtues of the .25-20 and .32-20 in a Marlin lever action rifle. Mr. Sell worked as a timber cruiser during the Great Depression and often fed himself with the game harvested with his Marlin rifles, especially the .25-20. Amazon has his book on deer hunting. https://www.amazon.com/Deer-Hunters-.../dp/B0006BLZIY
    Mr Sell could hit a flying bird with his lever rifles and made excellent use of an old school tang sight. Too he developed 3 inch 20 gauge duck loads that equaled 12 gauge regular loads.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The concept has been around for awhile. There's been a few gun writers that have talked about having a single shot .410 converted to one of the .32 caliber rimmed chambering and then went on to extoll it's virtues, much to my disgust.

I've approached three "custom" gunsmiths with a single shot .410 and a wad of cash and all three have blown me off. I've just about diced to get MGM to build me a 16 1/4" barrel for the Contender in .327 Federal and buy a stock kit and roll that way. I'm mostly certain it will be cheaper and easier in the long run.
    John Taylor will make what you wish for that single shot shotgun action. PM me for details.

User Tag List