Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend someone to work on an RIA 1911, or is it even worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'll pile on and recommend Novak. Twenty years ago, a very small number of people knew how to properly stake a 1911 front sight, and I'm sure that number has gotten smaller in the interim.

I always chuckle when somebody recommends "any local gunsmith." They mostly screw together AR15s, install drop in Glock parts, and do Hello Kitty cerakote jobs.
    Yeah, that about sums up my impression of the local outfit. The Punisher and "battle-worn" duracoat display guns should have been a warning sign...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Usually, you can just send them the slide.
    I figure once I get sorted out what we want done, I will call them and find out what they recommend as far a best way to order and ship.

Site Supporter
    The millions of GI 45's had staked on front sights. These front sights were small. When larger front sights are staked on, their greater mass is the problem. It provides sufficient inertia allowing front sights to fly off when the slide moves back and forth.

Novak is tops. Call them.

As mentioned, Novaks is a good option.

Personally, given a choice, I'd much prefer Heinie sights, especially with their (wider-notch) 0.156" rear. A 0.156" rear notch allows for more visible light which, in turn, allows one to attain a clearer focus on the front sight, and more quickly.

For me, Heinie's (wider) 0.156" rear notch is a real lifesaver.

We only need your slide for sight installation; please do not ship the entire pistol. When sending your slide please include your name, billing address, shipping address and your daytime phone number. Also include the part number or description of the Heinie sights you want installed. We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover. You may include your card number and expiration date with the above information in your package with the slide or we will call you at the daytime phone number provided by you with your slide for payment. Ship to: Heinie Specialty Products, Inc., 301 Oak Street Suite 3-4, Quincy, IL 62301.

https://www.heinie.com/sight-installation.html

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I'm thinking tritium would show up better in the crappy lighting at our indoor range.
    I don't know what is going to show up on an indoor range. Firing line lighting is usually too dim to illuminate fibre optic but too bright to let tritium stand out. I guess the combo front sight will be a reasonable effort. I have done some shooting with a magnetic base flashlight stuck to the target carrier rail and gotten some benefit. I need a light with wider beam, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I always chuckle when somebody recommends "any local gunsmith." They mostly screw together AR15s, install drop in Glock parts, and do Hello Kitty cerakote jobs.
    Right.
    Every post "I have a secondhand/antique/surplus/inherited gun like so, is it OK?" will be answered "Get a gunsmith to check it out."
    I don't know but one local to me that I would have examine a piece I was not familiar with.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List