Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glocks (again)

Going from a 19 Gen3 to a 19 Gen5, the accuracy improvement was noticeable.

In my hands, my 17 Gen4 is about the same accuracy as my 19 Gen5.

I recently bought a 17 Gen5. So far, I haven't noticed big differences between it and the 17 Gen4. The Gen 5 does have the cut to the edge of the breechface that is supposed to improve ejection.

Gen5s use different sight heights than Gen3s. The Gen 5s hit higher and need a taller front or shorter rear to compensate. Glock uses the same front sight for everything and different-height rears. My Gen5s came with the "short" 6.1mm plastic rear. The Gen3s used the "medium" 6.5mm rear.

At one point, I was driving myself crazy trying to make the triggers between the different generations similar and better. I gave up on that. It's a Glock. It wiggles, drags, walls, and then clicks. Too much concentration on the break was starting to give me anticipation misses. I did find that some grease on the contact points helped with grittiness at least.

As a long time 1911 guy...

No Glock is going to be anything remotely close to a 1911.

You have to change the software to work with a Glock.

I would strongly advise to train yourself to get over thinking about the characteristics of the pistol’s trigger pull.

You will have radical variations of feel between same models and the feel degrades over time until parts need changing and it will not go back to how it was originally after it’s repaired. Glock triggers are inconsistent and somewhat unpredictable. You learn how to smash through it and focus on other things.

Glocks are very capable pistols, but it’s not because of what features they have, it’s because of the features they don’t have.

Quoting okie john: “Glocks are harder to shoot as well as some other pistols because the trigger pull is so long and heavy.”

Sorry, but this made me laugh, to myself. (Not that okie john is incorrect, but not all truths are universal.) A reason I have trouble with Glock triggers because the trigger stroke IS so very short and light, but, of course, with mechanical distractions thrown in, and the weapon sitting so low in my skinny hand, that my trigger finger tends to drag along the frame*. I would stand in a line, in the rain, for a Glock with a trigger pull like my S&W K/L-Frame and/or Ruger GP100 revolvers. That is a winking smiley, but I am not kidding. With the panic-demic curtailing my live-fire training, my Glocks stay at home, while I carry my revolvers.

I never could shoot a Glock as well as a GP100, or K-/L-Frame S&W, because every shot I fired with Glocks made me a better DA revolver shooter. Every shot I fired with any firearm made me a better DA revolver shooter, it seems. I could shoot Glocks “well enough for government work,” and well enough to carry them during personal time, but I’ll never shoot a Glock as well as a good-fittin’ revolver.

Actually, coming from a 1911 background, I understand the desire for a lighter and shorter trigger pull, so okie john is correct, from that point of view. No Glock trigger will ever be as light and short as that in a 1911.

When I used Gen3 G22 duty pistols, from 2002 to 2004, I installed NY-1 trigger return spring modules, and the lighter Glock factory connectors, to smooth-out that trigger stroke, to some degree. That made a significant difference. When I returned to using Glock duty pistols, though the much-better-fit-for-me Gen4, in 2015, I left the springs and connectors as-is, as it was no longer kosher to change anything about our pistols’ trigger systems. (We owned our duty pistols, within guidelines.) Gen4 Glocks not only fit me better, but were found to have better-for-me triggers than Gen3.

*I finally learned a name for the cure; Boresight Solutions calls it a “glove bevel,” or something like that. I just might have something like this done.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Quoting okie john: “Glocks are harder to shoot as well as some other pistols because the trigger pull is so long and heavy.”

Sorry, but this made me laugh, to myself. (Not that okie john is incorrect, but not all truths are universal.) A reason I have trouble with Glock triggers because the trigger stroke IS so very short and light, but, of course, with mechanical distractions thrown in, and the weapon sitting so low in my skinny hand, that my trigger finger tends to drag along the frame*. I would stand in a line, in the rain, for a Glock with a trigger pull like my S&W K/L-Frame and/or Ruger GP100 revolvers. That is a winking smiley, but I am not kidding. With the panic-demic curtailing my live-fire training, my Glocks stay at home, while I carry my revolvers.

I never could shoot a Glock as well as a GP100, or K-/L-Frame S&W, because every shot I fired with Glocks made me a better DA revolver shooter. Every shot I fired with any firearm made me a better DA revolver shooter, it seems. I could shoot Glocks “well enough for government work,” and well enough to carry them during personal time, but I’ll never shoot a Glock as well as a good-fittin’ revolver.

Actually, coming from a 1911 background, I understand the desire for a lighter and shorter trigger pull, so okie john is correct, from that point of view. No Glock trigger will ever be as light and short as that in a 1911.

When I used Gen3 G22 duty pistols, from 2002 to 2004, I installed NY-1 trigger return spring modules, and the lighter Glock factory connectors, to smooth-out that trigger stroke, to some degree. That made a significant difference. When I returned to using Glock duty pistols, though the much-better-fit-for-me Gen4, in 2015, I left the springs and connectors as-is, as it was no longer kosher to change anything about our pistols’ trigger systems. (We owned our duty pistols, within guidelines.) Gen4 Glocks not only fit me better, but were found to have better-for-me triggers than Gen3.

*I finally learned a name for the cure; Boresight Solutions calls it a “glove bevel,” or something like that. I just might have something like this done.

How would you describe the trigger feel of the NY1 with a “-“ connector ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    In Gen 1-3 it gives a rolling break. In Gen 4 it was terrible.

I’ve played with a few and they were unpredictable.

It was usually somewhat like a horrible DA pull but sometimes the flex in the trigger bar would cause it get lighter, like unstack, at the end of the pull and was difficult to control.

I thought they were kinda dangerous and wouldn’t want one.

Site Supporter
    My concern isn't over the difference between the Glock triggers and a 1911 trigger -- I knew enough to expect that.

My concern is over the difference between shooting the Gen 3 17 and all the other Glocks I own.

It is interesting to me that only one person in this thread (besides me) has discussed the G21/G41 as viable alternatives. The focus of the discussion is mostly around the 9mm Glocks even though I started off saying I shoot the 45s better. That leads me to think not many here view my ability to shoot the G21/G41 better than the 9mm guns as anything more than lack of experience with the 9mm Glocks. And that is very likely an accurate assessment.

Anyway, I have placed an order for an OEM minus connector and a couple sets of Talon grips, and I really want to make sure I give that Gen 3 G17 a fair shake before I move on from it. I think that is because I suspect, as someone else mentioned, that it is a software problem rather than a hardware problem -- although the lousy factory trigger on that particular gun could play into that.

Thanks to everyone for your input, it is valuable to me.

Site Supporter
    Random thoughts-make solving the hardware issue a priority so you mind came be freed to solve the software issues of daily life.

Been shooting/competing with a Glock since 1990 ish. I carry a G35 80+% of the time AIWB. I am a bit of a 1911 guy, 5 inch , .45 ACP all steel only.
    I own or have owned

Gen 1 17
    Gen 2 17-sold
    Gen 2 19
    Gen 3 21sf-sold
    Gen 3 34 x2 ( One training/One carry)
    Gen 3 35 x2 (One training /One carry)

Gen 4 was not enough of a change for me to matter

Be me buy 2 G34 ( 1 training/1 carry)
    2 G41 (" ")

and a Gen 5 19 when concealment matter a little bit more. Add a J frame or a single stack Glock the few times you really cannot dress around a 19.

Sell the rest. Buy ammo/components etc. Take some classes, train and/or compete with some like minded folks and drive on.

IMHO
    No safe Glock trigger that I would carry and bet my life on is remotely close to a 1911 trigger.

If the intersection of striker fired in 9mm/.45 ACP with a 1911 like trigger is what is really driving the train, dump the Glocks and pivot to M&P with Apex FSS trigger parts.

Glock triggers can differ a far bit from gun to gun presuming same/same (i.e. 5.5 TRS with OEM "-" connectors). I am told that the Glock Team back in the day would mate components at random until the got a set that they liked and "felt" like what was in the gun. Those would then be bagged so if there was a component failure on the gun, everything else came off the pistol and the bagged stuff went in.

I am too far down the line with guns/mags/pouches/holsters and rounds down range to switch to anything other than back to a 1911 (or perhaps a Dan Wesson DWX should they ever come out for real).

Lets us know what you do and why you do it in the end.

Be safe and well.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Well, I switched to a DAK* SIG duty pistol in 2004, and went all-in with SIG for a number of years, so it is difficult to recall much about my Gen3 Glocks, which I only used for a couple of years. The NY-1 and the “-“ connector did not result in a lighter poundage of pull weight, but that was not my goal. This combo reduced the stark difference between the lighter take-up, and the rest of the pull, so, it annoyed me less than the standard set-up, but, it probably made little difference in actual accuracy. When I first became aware that the chief wanted to authorize 9mm as an alternative duty cartridge, in 2012, I bought a Gen3 G17, in anticipation. I left its springs and connector stock. When the chief made the change, it was 2015, and I opted to buy a couple of Gen4 G17 pistols, and sell the Gen3 G17. (I switched to 9mm for the lesser recoil, and back to Glock for the lower bore axis, as arthritis was really starting to vex my right hand.)

*DAK was my choice. Most of my colleagues who used SIGs used DA/SA, but, notably, some of the heavy hitters among the narcs embraced DAK.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, I switched to a DAK* SIG duty pistol in 2004, and went all-in with SIG for a number of years, so it is difficult to recall much about my Gen3 Glocks, which I only used for a couple of years. The NY-1 and the “-“ connector did not result in a lighter poundage of pull weight, but that was not my goal. This combo reduced the stark difference between the lighter take-up, and the rest of the pull, so, it annoyed me less than the standard set-up, but, it probably made little difference in actual accuracy. When I first became aware that the chief wanted to authorize 9mm as an alternative duty cartridge, in 2012, I bought a Gen3 G17, in anticipation. I left its springs and connector stock. When the chief made the change, it was 2015, and I opted to buy a couple of Gen4 G17 pistols, and sell the Gen3 G17. (I switched to 9mm for the lesser recoil, and back to Glock for the lower bore axis, as arthritis was really starting to vex my right hand.)

*DAK was my choice. Most of my colleagues who used SIGs used DA/SA, but, notably, some of the heavy hitters among the narcs embraced DAK.

Good reply, thanks.

I am the odd ball fan of the DAK.

User Tag List