Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Glocks (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Okay, weird. My Gen 4 G21 and G41 (esp the G41) have better triggers than my Gen 3 G17. But I'll chalk that up to differences between individual pistols.
    Did your G41 come from the factory with a '-' connector?

ETA: Looks like at least some G41s come standard with the '-' installed.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Does the G41 come from the factory with a '-' connector?
    Since I just learned that the difference between my Gen 3 G17 and G34 is that the G34 is already equipped with the minus connector, I would guess that the G41 comes from the factory that way as well. But I'll have to take it apart to confirm that.

ETA: Okay, just saw your pic -- my G41 shows that same info.

My Gen 5 G17 shows 5.5 on the box, but it has a nice trigger.

The biggest difference with the Gen 3 G17 is that the wall is so stiff. When it breaks, it breaks like a BIG glass rod.
    Last edited by Robinson; 05-06-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Even Glocks with the same OEM parts from the manufacturer can present different trigger pulls. Some guys will buy different OEM trigger bars, connectors, and even housings, and play mix-n-match until they get the pull they're looking for.

Site Supporter
    Since I just learned that the difference between my Gen 3 G17 and G34 is that the G34 is already equipped with the minus connector, I would guess that the G41 comes from the factory that way as well. But I'll have to take it apart to confirm that.

ETA: Okay, just saw your pic -- my G41 shows that same info.

My Gen 5 G17 shows 5.5 on the box, but it has a nice trigger.

The biggest difference with the Gen 3 G17 is that the wall is so stiff. When it breaks, it breaks like a BIG glass rod.

Robinson, a gen 3 comes from the factory with an unmarked, "5.5" connector. They changed the geometry of the gen 4 bar to give a crisper but slightly heavier break, but people didn't like it. So the gen 4 quickly got the "5" lb "dot" connector. The gen 5 went back to the gen 3 trigger bar geometry but kept the "dot" connector, which is a big reason why it has the nice trigger than it does. A gen 3 bar with a "dot" connector is only one step away from a gen 3 bar with a "minus" connector. The long slide guns usually come from the factory with a minus connector.

As others have said, Glock triggers vary a lot from gun to gun, but as far as the basic geometry of a snappy, heavier break vs a mushier, rolling break, these basic rules apply.

I have all gens. I think Gen 3s have the best triggers, and best potential triggers. Gen 4s are my favorite though. Gen 5s are more accurate but I’ve had several that the triggers get worse over time. They develop a hitch, almost like a 3 stage trigger instead of a 2 stage. I’ve heard other people say the same. Wondering if it’s the new safety plunger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Robinson, a gen 3 comes from the factory with an unmarked, "5.5" connector. They changed the geometry of the gen 4 bar to give a crisper but slightly heavier break, but people didn't like it. So the gen 4 quickly got the "5" lb "dot" connector. The gen 5 went back to the gen 3 trigger bar geometry but kept the "dot" connector, which is a big reason why it has the nice trigger than it does. A gen 3 bar with a "dot" connector is only one step away from a gen 3 bar with a "minus" connector.

As others have said, Glock triggers vary a lot from gun to gun, but as far as the basic geometry of a snappy, heavier break vs a mushier, rolling break, these basic rules apply.
    Thanks for the explanation. Maybe after the Gen 5 they'll stop screwing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Robinson, a gen 3 comes from the factory with an unmarked, "5.5" connector. They changed the geometry of the gen 4 bar to give a crisper but slightly heavier break, but people didn't like it. So the gen 4 quickly got the "5" lb "dot" connector. The gen 5 went back to the gen 3 trigger bar geometry but kept the "dot" connector, which is a big reason why it has the nice trigger than it does. A gen 3 bar with a "dot" connector is only one step away from a gen 3 bar with a "minus" connector. The long slide guns usually come from the factory with a minus connector.

So just to note, it was the change to the trigger housing dimensions (necessitated by the slimmer GEN4 grip) that changed the geometry of the connector engagement in GEN4 guns, resulting in a heavier trigger pull. The trigger bar change - the nub to engage the firing pin safety plunger - also had its detractors. As noted earlier, many (myself included) thought the GEN3 trigger bar lacking the nub resulted in a smoother pull, and substituted the GEN3 trigger bars in GEN4 guns.

The GEN5 trigger spring is completely different from the GEN3/4 guns; the GEN3 coil spring was replaced with a three piece design that eliminated the 'hooks' that were the failure point on the GEN3 springs. The GEN5 trigger bar was changed to eliminate the dog leg where the older generation trigger return spring was attached. Glocks are pretty durable guns, but the original trigger spring was one of the weaker points in the design (again this is relative). A GEN5 spring should last much longer without requiring replacement. This change not only increased durability, but improved the trigger pull in the GEN5 pistol.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the explanation. Maybe after the Gen 5 they'll stop screwing with it.
    I wouldn't bet on it. Like JSGlock34 explained, it's a constant improvement.

Site Supporter
    Okay, weird. My Gen 4 G21 and G41 (esp the G41) have better triggers than my Gen 3 G17. But I'll chalk that up to differences between individual pistols.

Yep that's the one I installed on my Gen 3 G17.
    More room in the 10mm/45 frame.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Even Glocks with the same OEM parts from the manufacturer can present different trigger pulls. Some guys will buy different OEM trigger bars, connectors, and even housings, and play mix-n-match until they get the pull they're looking for.
    Some guys will instead make the blue label dealer pull 3 or 4 of the same model to pick the one with the best out of the box trigger .... allegedly...
    Last edited by HCM; 05-06-2021 at 06:39 PM.

User Tag List