Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Glocks (again)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Nor mine and lord knows I have tried about everything under the sun. Turns out I shoot them all about the same and Glocks are super convenient and reliable.

Re the G34 love: I wanted to love it but didn't find it any advantage over a 17 or even 19 slide length. I actually don't think I even own one any more.
    It shows how different we all are. For me the G34 is much easier to get good hits with than the G17. That may well change after a bunch more practice with the G17.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The change from 3.5 to 4.5 coincided with the geometry change necessitated by the Gen 4 dimensional changes.
    Okay, will the 4.5 minus connector work in a Gen 3 gun? And would there be an advantage to going with the dot connector instead?

Man I feel like a novice again. Let's talk about 1911s instead.

Connectors are not generation specific. That said, the dot connector was designed to make the Gen4 trigger pull closer to the Gen3 with a standard connector. The ‘-‘ connectors are standard in all generations of G34.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Okay, will the 4.5 minus connector work in a Gen 3 gun? And would there be an advantage to going with the dot connector instead?

Man I feel like a novice again. Let's talk about 1911s instead.
    Yes, it will. All connectors will interchange except the slimline guns (42/43/43x/48).

To me, the minus connector has a bit less “wall” to it. But it depends of which gun I have installed it in. I always compare the dot vs a minus on a particular gun.
    In my opinion there is even a variation on individual, though identically marked, connectors.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Connectors are not generation specific. That said, the dot connector was designed to make the Gen4 trigger pull closer to the Gen3 with a standard connector.
    Why would anyone want to do that? My Gen 3 G34 with its minus connector has a much better trigger than my Gen 3 G17 with its standard connector.

As an aside -- the G34 also came equipped with an extended mag release, which prompted me to install one on the G17. Much better than the standard Gen 3 mag release.

Why would anyone want to do that? My Gen 3 G34 with its minus connector has a much better trigger than my Gen 3 G17 with its standard connector.

As an aside -- the G34 also came equipped with an extended mag release, which prompted me to install one on the G17. Much better than the standard Gen 3 mag release.
    So when the GEN4 was introduced, it used the standard unmarked trigger connector found in the GEN3. However, the dimensional changes to the trigger housing to fit the redesigned GEN4 grip negatively impacted the trigger pull. I'd estimate that the pull weight increased on GEN4 guns by a pound or so. I believe the BATFE wanted a trigger pull closer to the original guns, and so the 'dot' connector was introduced, and then became standard for GEN4 guns.

Generally speaking, GEN4 guns are considered to have the least desirable triggers of the various Glock generations.

As far as magazine releases, I personally find the extended release on the GEN3 G34 too long and uncomfortable. The sweet spot is the FBI length magazine release, which is about halfway between the OEM standard and extended models, but the GEN3 OEM FBI length release was never available commercially. The TangoDown/Vickers magazine release for GEN3 mimics these dimensions though, and is my preference. FBI length OEM magazine releases are commercially available for the GEN4/5.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 05-06-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter

Many LE/Gov/MIL agencies (what Glock considers their primary market)! specify minimum trigger pull weights. My own agency specified 5.5lbs.

The original Gen 1/2/3 Glocks had 5.5lb pull with the standard connector. The modular grip modification in the Gen 4, required changing the dimensions of the connector area within the frame (less space). That changed the geometry and caused early Gen 4s with standard connectors to have 7.5-8.5 lb pulls. The Dot connectors either coincided with or were developed pursuant to ATF’s transition from SIG TDA 40s to Gen 4 Glock 40s.

The answer was a connector with geometry in between the “-“ and the standard - The dot connector, to bring the Gen4 pull back down to 5-6lbs.

Having large hands I hate the extended mag and slide releases. YMMV.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Many LE/Gov/MIL agencies (what Glock considers their primary market)! specify minimum trigger pull weights. My own agency specified 5.5lbs.

The original Gen 1/2/3 Glocks had 5.5lb pull with the standard connector. The modular grip modification in the Gen 4, required changing the dimensions of the connector area within the frame (less space). That changed the geometry and caused early Gen 4s with standard connectors to have 7.5-8.5 lb pulls. The Dot connectors either coincided with or were developed pursuant to ATF’s transition from SIG TDA 40s to Gen 4 Glock 40s.

The answer was a connector with geometry in between the “-“ and the standard - The dot connector, to bring the Gen4 pull back down to 5-6lbs.

Having large hands I hate the extended mag and slide releases. YMMV.
    Gen 4 also introduced a trigger bar with a little bump that I believe was related to changes in the slide/striker safety plunger. I put gen 3 trigger bars in all my gen 4 guns an it dropped the weight of the trigger quite a bit (subjective, not measured on a gauge).

For me and my large hands the extended release activates each shot unless I break the firing grip to avoid it. I had an early G19 G5 and the release extended out further causing the same issue. Traded it away before I heard about the substantial accuracy increase with the G5 barrel.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Generally speaking, GEN4 guns are considered to have the least desirable triggers of the various Glock generations.
    Okay, weird. My Gen 4 G21 and G41 (esp the G41) have better triggers than my Gen 3 G17. But I'll chalk that up to differences between individual pistols.

The TangoDown/Vickers magazine release for GEN3 mimics these dimensions though, and is my preference.
    Yep that's the one I installed on my Gen 3 G17.

User Tag List