Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glocks (again)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Dang, thanks for that info. I may explore that option before I give up on the Gen 3 G17 unless I just get impatient and go after another Gen 5 G17 instead.

But I confess I really like the G34. If I find I can tolerate it while seated it will be hard to rule against it.
    Either way, Gen 3 guns benefit greatly from stippling or grip tape. The Talon rubber texture is a good compromise.

Site Supporter
    @okie john - thanks for posting that. It's a lot to digest and I will search out some of the other posts you've made as well.

I do feel pretty decent about my upper body strength, and training in Goju for 25+ years gave me pretty good grip strength. But to be honest, I always feel I could use more grip strength when shooting. Maybe it's time to look into some more modern grip strengthening methods.

You mentioned Glock triggers. One thing I have noticed that could be at play here is that my Gen 3 G17 requires a bit more pressure to press through the point where it breaks. It is even noticeable between the Gen 3 G17 and G34.

I shoot 124gr 9mm ammo pretty much exclusively, and it's usually Federal, S&B, or Speer. The Federal American Eagle rounds seem to match the HST that I prefer.

As for the G19, I've always preferred longer barrels over shorter barrels and the grip feels strange to me. Now, I realize how a gun "feels in the hand" doesn't have much to do with how well you shoot it. But I don't see an advantage in the G19 over the G17 for me. And I even prefer the G34 over the G17, I just haven't decided it will be reasonably comfortable to carry yet and it will require some time carrying it to decide.

@HCM - thanks for the tip about Talon rubber grip tape. I've used it on 1911 front straps with good results, and yeah I agree the Gen 3 guns could use more "grippiness" -- especially up high on the grip frame.

So far this thread does not disappoint.
    Last edited by Robinson; 05-01-2021 at 05:01 PM.

My GEN3 Glock 34 has been a favorite pistol for years. Best trigger of all my Glocks by far. Shot IDPA, KSTG, and USPSA with it. It was my companion to classes with Todd, Ernest, Vickers. Have more rounds through this gun than any other. I'll never part with it. But I did start to notice the absence of any grip texturing as GEN4/5 guns ended up in the safe. Eventually I tired of replacing grip tape and sent it off for stippling. Having had good experience with Wilson Combat on other projects, I sent it to Berryville. Here's the result - I'm pleased. I haven't brought myself to cut it for a red dot yet, but it could happen.

Name:  FD2BA62E-9E50-4368-ACF3-80E644A2BD1D.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  99.9 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

My first 3 Glocks were of various flavors of the G21 and they reinforced the 2X4 grip opinion. I bought a Glock 20 gen 4 (10mm) and really like the grip texture. It's my first gen 4 Glock. I recently bought a G41, 45acp with a 5.3" barrel. Haven't had a chance to get it to the range yet. I am really surprised at how agile it feels. It is advertised as 2 ounces lighter that a Glock 21 gen 4. The slide is slimmer in width too as compared to the G21.

I'm all in with the Glock 17 gen 5 too. The trigger, grip texture, and how light it is with 17+1 of 147gr HST ammo. I really like the 17. It's been 100% in all aspects. Definitely not a 2X4 grip for me.

Its been a good Glock journey. From first impressions of the G21, to the improvements in the gen 4 and 5 generations, I have finally gotten over first impressions!!

Site Supporter
    Out of the choices listed, the 17.5 is the route I'd take, but my 19.5s are my favorite pistol. I think the 34 is the wrong choice for carry because I frequently sit down when I carry a pistol. Being uncomfortable while in the car is reason enough to strike it from the list as a carry gun. I think a 34.5 at bedside and a 17.5 for carry makes good sense in this situation. Sell the 17.3 and roll that money into another 17.5 (or something smaller if it would help you carry more consistently).

Site Supporter
    I noticed when I had a G30 and G29SF I was more accurate with them than a G19.3 at a controlled rate of fire. The slightly wider grip of the G30/29 kept the gun from squirming. I use a large beavertail grip on my G19.5 now which helps fill my hand, but I still miss the wider grip of the G30/29.
    --Jason--

You're feeling the difference in the trigger because your 34.3 has the (-) connector while your 17.3 has the standard connector... The 17 will have a harder, more defined wall and be about 1.5 to 2lbs heavier.
    Glock triggers can be a bit of a rabbit hole with using different connectors, trigger return springs, striker springs, safety plunger springs, and even modded trigger bars for the truly daring.
    And at the end of the day, no matter what you do, it's still a Glock trigger, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Glock triggers can be a bit of a rabbit hole with using different connectors, trigger return springs, striker springs, safety plunger springs, and even modded trigger bars for the truly daring.
    And at the end of the day, no matter what you do, it's still a Glock trigger, lol.
    A lot of truth in the sentence above, a lot. Be ware of that rabbit hole.

There can be mechanical accuracy differences between Glocks, certainly. I've owned roughly 20. I had a 23 that would struggle to get four inches and I have a 19 that will easily do one inch. Both at 25 yards and both gen 2s. Can you fire the 17 from a rest?

Good luck with it.

Cat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    You're feeling the difference in the trigger because your 34.3 has the (-) connector while your 17.3 has the standard connector... The 17 will have a harder, more defined wall and be about 1.5 to 2lbs heavier.
    Yeah that pretty much describes the difference I feel between the Gen 3 G17 and G34.

I may go ahead and try a minus connector before giving up on the gun, even though I like the features of the Gen 5.

I'm not getting stressed about all this -- I plan to try to enjoy this journey even though I take it seriously.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    My first 3 Glocks were of various flavors of the G21 and they reinforced the 2X4 grip opinion. I bought a Glock 20 gen 4 (10mm) and really like the grip texture. It's my first gen 4 Glock. I recently bought a G41, 45acp with a 5.3" barrel. Haven't had a chance to get it to the range yet. I am really surprised at how agile it feels. It is advertised as 2 ounces lighter that a Glock 21 gen 4. The slide is slimmer in width too as compared to the G21.

I'm all in with the Glock 17 gen 5 too. The trigger, grip texture, and how light it is with 17+1 of 147gr HST ammo. I really like the 17. It's been 100% in all aspects. Definitely not a 2X4 grip for me.

Its been a good Glock journey. From first impressions of the G21, to the improvements in the gen 4 and 5 generations, I have finally gotten over first impressions!!
    I don't mind the grip on the Gen 4 G21 and G41 at all. I will say the G41 is snappier in recoil than the G21, and I think it's because the G21 has a heavier slide. The G41, while longer, seems svelte compared to the G21. I like them both and look forward to trying the G21 in the JMCK AIWB holster I have on order. The G41 carries just like a G34, same holster and all. And 13+1 rounds of 45ACP is impressive.

User Tag List