Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glocks (again)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Be me buy 2 G34 ( 1 training/1 carry)
    2 G41 (" ")
    This is tempting and is something I've considered. I want to experiment with carrying the G34 some more in various scenarios -- especially while driving -- to see if I can tolerate the length. It's not too different from a Government model in that regard, but a heck of a lot lighter.

Oh and by the way: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1125223

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    My concern isn't over the difference between the Glock triggers and a 1911 trigger -- I knew enough to expect that.

My concern is over the difference between shooting the Gen 3 17 and all the other Glocks I own.

It is interesting to me that only one person in this thread (besides me) has discussed the G21/G41 as viable alternatives. The focus of the discussion is mostly around the 9mm Glocks even though I started off saying I shoot the 45s better. That leads me to think not many here view my ability to shoot the G21/G41 better than the 9mm guns as anything more than lack of experience with the 9mm Glocks. And that is very likely an accurate assessment.

Anyway, I have placed an order for an OEM minus connector and a couple sets of Talon grips, and I really want to make sure I give that Gen 3 G17 a fair shake before I move on from it. I think that is because I suspect, as someone else mentioned, that it is a software problem rather than a hardware problem -- although the lousy factory trigger on that particular gun could play into that.

Thanks to everyone for your input, it is valuable to me.
    To me, while the G21 was certainly more difficult to conceal, I found it was stupidly accurate.

No clue why. But my gen 3 G21 was accurate enough to hang with semi-custom 1911s.

Never got the chance to shoot matches with it, but I very much regret selling it to the older brother. He's got this stupid trick where he sets up an apple at 50-60 yards and blows the thing up shooting two handed unsupported with the .45 caliber Glock. Usually with the first shot.

Only problem is the damn thing was a non-SF model. It was gigantic.

I never had a problem concealing a G34 however. The G19, though I disliked it, was suitable for me to earn a light pin at Gabe White's class, running concealed from appendix.

I ultimately went the other way though. Glocks to 1911s, although I've been entertaining a dalliance with CZs lately.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The correct answer is P30 and P30sk

They are the only thing that could draw me from the 1911 but if you like to tinker and futz around, you can't beat all the parts available for the Glock.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    The focus of the discussion is mostly around the 9mm Glocks even though I started off saying I shoot the 45s better.
    I have limited experience with Glocks--mainly because I don't feel I shoot them very well (plus I prefer a decocker or a safey). But I'll say the G30 I shot was a different story. Shot right on POA. Grouped well. I feel like I'm "fighting" the gun on a G19, for instance.

All things being equal, I also feel like I shoot .45 marginally better than 9mm. I shoot most Sigs pretty well, but the .45s (P220, P245) seem to have a little bit... extra when it comes precise shot placement. One possible explanation could be the difference in recoil impulse--more a hard shove vs. a snap. Maybe it's easier stay on target/not jerk the gun?

I also read somewhere Glock .45s have 8 rifling grooves vs. 6. Not sure that makes one iota of difference, but it's kind of interesting.

Site Supporter
    The focus of the discussion is mostly around the 9mm Glocks even though I started off saying I shoot the 45s better.
    I have limited experience with Glocks--mainly because I don't feel I shoot them very well (plus I prefer a decocker or a safey). But I'll say the G30 I shot was a different story. Shot right on POA. Grouped well. I feel like I'm "fighting" the gun on a G19, for instance.

All things being equal, I also feel like I shoot .45 marginally better than 9mm. I shoot most Sigs pretty well, but the .45s (P220, P245) seem to have a little bit... extra when it comes precise shot placement. One possible explanation could be the difference in recoil impulse--more a hard shove vs. a snap. Maybe it's easier stay on target/not jerk the gun?

I also read somewhere Glock .45s have 8 rifling grooves vs. 6. Not sure that makes one iota of difference, but it's kind of interesting.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I feel like I'm missing out on something as a Glock owner. All I've ever done is pick them up and shoot them...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I feel like I'm missing out on something as a Glock owner. All I've ever done is pick them up and shoot them...
    Sorry, I feel like I'm missing something in your post. What exactly are you trying to say? My first post in the thread explains my goals, and I think it's been a pretty good discussion. There's nothing hidden or esoteric about it.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Sorry, I feel like I'm missing something in your post. What exactly are you trying to say? My first post in the thread explains my goals, and I think it's been a pretty good discussion. There's nothing hidden or esoteric about it.
    Lots of people seem to feel there is something unique about them that makes them much harder to shoot than other semi-auto duty handguns. This hasn't been my experience.

It is interesting to me that only one person in this thread (besides me) has discussed the G21/G41 as viable alternatives. The focus of the discussion is mostly around the 9mm Glocks even though I started off saying I shoot the 45s better. That leads me to think not many here view my ability to shoot the G21/G41 better than the 9mm guns as anything more than lack of experience with the 9mm Glocks. And that is very likely an accurate assessment.
    That is not necessarily an accurate assumption. I recall some time ago, before going all-in on Beretta, Spencer Keepers saying that he was faster and more accurate with .40 Glocks than 9mm Glocks...and with the understanding that he was an anomaly. I made no comment because the .45 ACP Glock frame is just too big for me personally, and therefore I have no frame of reference. When I was using a Gen3 G23 with NY-1/(-) connector combo, I tried a Grip Force Adapter.....It made the trigger completely unreachable/unusable for me.

So, if the .45 versions work for you, then rock on with that.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I cannot only answer for the “many.” Larger-frame Glocks, at least up to and including the Gen3, are simply too large for my hand size and finger length, so I have had little experience with them. (Even 9mm/.40 Gen3 Glocks are a bit large for me; it was Gen4 that provided relief. My only current Gen3 Glock is a G17 with the Robar grip treatment that made it 1911-like.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List