Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Harris--Revisiting the Full Charge Wadcutter

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I prefer carrying JHPs as a reload because then I’ve got copper jackets as the primary contact in my pocket instead of soft bare lead - lead contact and damage concerns. I prefer to use Hornady Critical Defense 110gr standard velocity when I can get it b/c the performance is good and it’s pretty shootable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Theory is an SWC with a large meplat and sharp shoulder should offer similar penetration benefits to a full wadcutter design albeit generally with higher recoil. Personally I generally go with XTP JHP's for reloads to avoid the exposed lead issue and various tests I've seen showing deep penetration from snubs. In a snub .38 mostly you have to select for either penetration or expansion and penetration in my read is the more important if you can't have both.
    Would coated LSWC be a viable alternative that would prevent raw lead in your pocket?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Would coated LSWC be a viable alternative that would prevent raw lead in your pocket?
    Maybe. Depends on what it’s coated with and how long you carry the same reloads. Lead is still soft and subject to damage, though.
    Last edited by Duelist; 05-12-2021 at 09:12 PM.

Maybe. Depends on what it’s coated with and how long you carry the same reloads. Lead is still soft and subject to damage, though.
    I was not sure if the concern was lead softness or exposure. I carried a strip of Acme 158 coated in my pocket for a few years and the edges finally wore. I kept them mainly in case I wanted to shoot something that I didn’t want to use my carry rounds to shoot.

Thinking of standardizing all of my 38 reloads to either 158 LSWC over 3.5 Bullseye or 148 DEWC over 3.5 Bullseye.
    I basically did the same.

I bought 2200 (IIRC), split evenly, or Missouri Bullet Co's 148-grain DEWC (#2 PPC) and their 158-grain SWC (.38 Match). And I load them both over 3.5 grains of N330. Which gives me a pussy cat 158-grain load (~750fps) and a warm'ish wadcutter (~800fps) from a snub.

But because my current go-to J-frame has a 2.5" barrel, I still carry 135-grain Gold Dot Short Barrel. Because from a 2.5" barrel it does what it is supposed to in terms of penetration with a good chance of expansion.

I was not sure if the concern was lead softness or exposure. I carried a strip of Acme 158 coated in my pocket for a few years and the edges finally wore. I kept them mainly in case I wanted to shoot something that I didn’t want to use my carry rounds to shoot.
    For years I pocket carried a speed strip with Nyclad as a reload, not because it was a spectacular performer but because it could tolerate months of carry between replacement.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Both. Lead exposure is a higher priority, but a jacketed bullet load can also be carried for more years than you probably ought to, especially in nickel cases, without damaging the bullets. I did ten years of daily carry with one set of 5 in my 642 and one set of 5 in a speed strip. Anecdata and all, but those Gold Dots cranked off and made a little tiny 5yd group when I finally decided to cycle them out.

Xtreme Bullets has a copper plated 158 gr SWC

https://www.xtremebullets.com/38-158...8swc-b0500.htm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Xtreme Bullets has a copper plated 158 gr SWC

https://www.xtremebullets.com/38-158...8swc-b0500.htm
    But like everything else in this "back-order economy" they are out of stock. Berry's also offers a plated SWC in solid and HP configuration. The HP is touted as a "target" bullet rather than a defensive one. Oh, and all Berry's stuff is back-order too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Those loads all seem pretty anemic to me, but I admit that I do not load .38, and in terms of defensive use loads, my "comfort zone" has always been more like 135 grain 9mm Critical Duty, which clocks in at just over 1000 FPS from a 3.5 inch barrel. Given .38's substantially lower SAAMI spec max pressure, and adding in losses from the cylinder gap, I imagine it's difficult or impossible to get that kind of performance out of .38, especially in a 2" barrel J frame or the equivalent.
    Underwoods 150gr Wadcutter provides a good number for a modern 'full charge.' Their ammo is loaded to full SAAMI pressure 17kpsi, whereas traditional wadcutters are almost certainly well below that.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/38-spe...wadcutter.html

From reviewers who chrono'd it, its averaging 870fps from a LCR 1.9" barrel. Another reviewer was hitting 990-1000fps from a 5.5" revolver.

I imagine they are using a slower burning powder to maximize velocity while keeping pressures down.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Underwoods 150gr Wadcutter provides a good number for a modern 'full charge.' Their ammo is loaded to full SAAMI pressure 17kpsi, whereas traditional wadcutters are almost certainly well below that.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/38-spe...wadcutter.html

From reviewers who chrono'd it, its averaging 870fps from a LCR 1.9" barrel. Another reviewer was hitting 990-1000fps from a 5.5" revolver.

I imagine they are using a slower burning powder to maximize velocity while keeping pressures down.
    That is smoking from a snub.

I think the difference between the 9mm and the 38 wadcutter is the 9mm relies on velocity to expand and penetrate. The 38 only needs enough velocity to penetrate so it can be loaded lighter. This is the reason the milder wadcutter is preferred.

User Tag List