Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sling bag recommendations for Glock 17

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Can you, @pangloss, or anyone else who owns the Kelty post some pictures of the bags orientation for drawing and how the gun pocket opens?

I'm thinking about buying one myself, but I can't really find any videos or detailed pictures of it in use, and want to make sure it's at least as viable or user friendly as the VertX bags. I found one video on Youtube featuring the left handed bag, and from what I gather so far it looks like the gun pocket opening is on the wrong side of the bag...i.e. the left hand model has it on the correct side for right hand use, but wouldn't work in such a manner since you wear it on the opposite shoulder.
    Look for text, on your phone. First, I need to confirm I remember which name matches TGS.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I bought one of these last year for my wife. It looks similar to the Kelty mentioned. She hates carrying a purse and I gave it to her for a day pack for all her junk. She already filled it up and now wants something a little bigger.

It's by no means designed for quick access weapons carry and there is no velcro panel inside. It's cheap enough at $30 and you can probably customize it if you have the means to.

Site Supporter
    Still waiting to hear from the OP re context etc.

Having said that, I concur that if the actual choice is slow and off body or no firearm, I too would vote slow and off body.

However, I think many times, for many people, in many situations, that is not really the choice. Off body in a bag is easy to carry. I get that. Dressing around a gun on the daily is not.

I carry a G35 and a mag, bare minimum on the beltline the vast majority of the time. T shirt and shorts to jacket and tie, to include in 80/80 weather (80+ degrees and/or 80% humidity from April-September here in the KC Metro)
    Purpose designed belts, pouches and holsters. Nothing is oversized.

I confess, I am not a gym rat. If I was, I suspect I would carry something smaller or just a blade way before I would presumably have a gun in a bag at my feet while I was on my last rep of the 3rd set on the bench etc. or across the way in a cube where everybody else seems to leave their bag during the workout etc..

TGS-you are far more switched on than the average person or the average off body carrier who will forget that bag.

Finally, think there is a subset of bad folks who are far more switched on than they are given credit for.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Can you, @pangloss, or anyone else who owns the Kelty post some pictures of the bags orientation for drawing and how the gun pocket opens?

I'm thinking about buying one myself, but I can't really find any videos or detailed pictures of it in use, and want to make sure it's at least as viable or user friendly as the VertX bags. I found one video on Youtube featuring the left handed bag, and from what I gather so far it looks like the gun pocket opening is on the wrong side of the bag...i.e. the left hand model has it on the correct side for right hand use, but wouldn't work in such a manner since you wear it on the opposite shoulder.
    Alas, in the rare circumstance that I off body carry, I have a Vertx EDC Essentials Bag. I've been curious about the Kelty for a long time, but I've haven't purchased one because I often go months (years?) without carrying off body. I'd certainly appreciate feedback on the Kelty. Several times I've come close to buying one just to satisfy my curiosity, so I'd love to hear first hand reports from any members here.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Finally, think there is a subset of bad folks who are far more switched on than they are given credit for.
    My opinion is that those dudes are likely to pick you out regardless of the bag. To those people, behaviors are bigger indicators than the bag will be. Things like upright posture, looking around and being unafraid to make eye contact with people, immediately looking to your left/right or performing a 0-25 assessment upon going through a door, looking for the nearest alternative exit...these are all things that stick out way more to the trained eye watching you at Starbucks than a Heather Red slingbag from an outdoors store that looks identical to the one that the beta just carried in minutes before.

Not only that, but tons of people buy these bags because they are just mag good laptop/tablet bags to begin with. I'd wager the majority of people who walk around with a Magma Orange and Teal VertX bag, or even a black GoRuck GR1 or coyote brown Maxpedition don't even own guns.

IMO, respectfully, this is taking the "shoot me first vest" thing to an extreme. At the very least, similar to the shoot me first vest conversation had a few weeks ago, it's a matter of what's appropriate for your current venue and activity...it's not like there's a universal truth regarding these bags being a tell.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Ling Bag in The Wild (Or a Backpack)

I know the orginal discussion was about G17, but I'm starting to think the sling bags really shine with larger firearms. This video was posted by @Caballoflaco in another thread. It is a real life example of using a sling bag (or small back pack) to deploy a shortly AK.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Alas, in the rare circumstance that I off body carry, I have a Vertx EDC Essentials Bag. I've been curious about the Kelty for a long time, but I've haven't purchased one because I often go months (years?) without carrying off body. I'd certainly appreciate feedback on the Kelty. Several times I've come close to buying one just to satisfy my curiosity, so I'd love to hear first hand reports from any members here.
    I like mine, but use it sparingly due to the obvious issues with off body. I mainly use for biking.
    I was with Rex earlier... Doubted a G17 would be bueno, as it is just perfect for a G19.

Here is a pic of the gun pocket open - holster and mag pouch inside. I must be using a different than Kelty holster, but almost any Velcro backed open will work.
    Name:  B92891E0-E5B1-4CE7-BF3E-0442B4EFA22C.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  78.2 KB

User Tag List