Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sling bag recommendations for Glock 17

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    That would be illegal here so I obviously have no idea. But on a totally unrelated note, my feelings about concealment...

But in general I'll just say that for this kind of thing I MUCH prefer modifying off-the-shelf regular recognizable brands that could have been bought at Target or at most REI, to stuff from anyone who makes 1000D ballistic nylon anything.

You walk around with a sling bag from Adidas, you might just be a guy who thinks soccer is a legitimate sport.

You carry a one-shoulder rendition of the HSGI Warlord, you might as well just tape the gun to your face.
    There's a big gray area in-between those two extremes. Here's a bunch of purpose built CCW slings that don't fit your categorization:

Name:  transitred.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  34.9 KB
    Name:  transitblue.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  33.3 KB
    Name:  TouristOrange.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  35.9 KB

There's also the Kelty that was mentioned earlier in the thread, which looks like an excellent option (possibly the best mentioned yet, thanks @pangloss!).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'm curious, what circumstances warrant a pistol in sling bag, instead of traditional on-body carry?

My personal use is to and from work. I work a 24 hour shift(firefighter) and there is no need to don before going to work and if I have no errands or such to do after work there is still no need to don, so my gear rides in a sling bag. I can secure my bag in my locker while at work.

Site Supporter
    I am curious as to what is the mission and initial thoughts of the OP re the slingbag.

I am very leery of Off Body Carry once we depart from a purpose designed fanny pack or chest pack.

1. Slow
    2. You will forget it at some point
    3. Unless you have always been a bag carrier, it becomes a source of questions/concerns etc.
    4. It's is much hard to be consistently fast with it relative to a purpose designed Fanny Pack or belt line holster.
    5. The majority of the purpose built stuff in this realm is readily identifiable as such to the trained eye of both good and bad folks

Color me skeptical and intrigued. Please let us know what you do.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Kelty Sling Bag: https://www.kelty.com/sling-bag/

EDIT: The Kelty is a trim 4.1 liters.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

There's also the Kelty that was mentioned earlier in the thread, which looks like an excellent option (possibly the best mentioned yet, thanks @pangloss!).
    Hmm, I have one of the Kelty sling bags, and had always thought it was a bit tight for a full-sized Glock G17, but y’all’s posts prompted me to try, and yes, indeed, a G17 will fit into a Kelty, with some amount of room to spare.

I no longer remember why I had thought the Kelty would be too tight/small.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'm curious, what circumstances warrant a pistol in sling bag, instead of traditional on-body carry?
    In addition to the examples already posted by other members, a “bag gun” can be a second gun, when one is carrying a weapon concealed under the clothing. The bag gun might well be a larger gun, for going to get “into trouble,” at times when one is wearing a mere “get-out-of-trouble gun.” (Terminology borrowed from DB.) I distinctly remember an occasion, when I needed to meet someone inside a place that did not allow men to bring bags*, so I transferred a 4” GP100 from a bag, to holster-less AIWB, and left the bag in the vehicle. So, I walked inside, with a holstered weapon at 0300, and the GP100 at field-expedient AIWB.

Of course, the bag gun can also be equal in size, or smaller, than the gun worn under the clothing. It is all about context.

*This was before tablets and other such personal electronic gadgets became so common, though I reckon that some fancy places may still frown upon large bags.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I can tell you what NOT to get. 5.11 MOAB 6.

A G17 will fit into the conceal pocket but just barely and isn't optimal at all, a G19 would be about perfect for length and width but still be a tad fat. I got one in a trade awhile back. It's a good enough bag, but you need some heavy and/or bulky items low in the back main compartment of the damn thing or else it falls over on its front. It just refuses to set up straight without a pretty full load. It also screams gun by looking too tactical.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I am curious as to what is the mission and initial thoughts of the OP re the slingbag.

I am very leery of Off Body Carry once we depart from a purpose designed fanny pack or chest pack.

1. Slow
    2. You will forget it at some point
    3. Unless you have always been a bag carrier, it becomes a source of questions/concerns etc.
    4. It's is much hard to be consistently fast with it relative to a purpose designed Fanny Pack or belt line holster.
    5. The majority of the purpose built stuff in this realm is readily identifiable as such to the trained eye of both good and bad folks

Color me skeptical and intrigued. Please let us know what you do.

My thoughts and experience...

1. If my only options are slow or unarmed, I will take the slow.

2. Yes I left mine at home and at work but only once in either location and I have practiced this for a little over 15 years now. When I left it at home, my wife brought it to me later that day. The morning I left it at work we had been up all night on a big fire and when I was relieved I just drove home and did not even change out of my uniform. In that case, my bag was secured in my locker.

3. This is easily explained away. I got tired of carrying everything in my pockets or to much to carry usually works.

4. see #1

5. I see this perpetuated a lot but in my experience nobody but the highly switched on individuals recognize gun gear as gun gear. I have "gun guys" at work move my bag and ask if I'm carrying bricks. They had no clue until I shared what I carried. I don't share with everyone just my crew. I have been approached and asked about my cool chest pack, Hill People kit bag, by all sorts of people on the trail and none never have a clue. They all thinks a great way to carry their snacks and cell phone. I have only been "outed" by one guy at work and that lead to us taking a class together. I'm sure others may have assumed but I will never know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    In addition to the examples already posted by other members, a “bag gun” can be a second gun, when one is carrying a weapon concealed under the clothing. The bag gun might well be a larger gun, for going to get “into trouble,” at times when one is wearing a mere “get-out-of-trouble gun.” (Terminology borrowed from DB.) I distinctly remember an occasion, when I needed to meet someone inside a place that did not allow men to bring bags*, so I transferred a 4” GP100 from a bag, to holster-less AIWB, and left the bag in the vehicle. So, I walked inside, with a holstered weapon at 0300, and the GP100 at field-expedient AIWB.

Of course, the bag gun can also be equal in size, or smaller, than the gun worn under the clothing. It is all about context.

*This was before tablets and other such personal electronic gadgets became so common, though I reckon that some fancy places may still frown upon large bags.
    Can you, @pangloss, or anyone else who owns the Kelty post some pictures of the bags orientation for drawing and how the gun pocket opens?

I'm thinking about buying one myself, but I can't really find any videos or detailed pictures of it in use, and want to make sure it's at least as viable or user friendly as the VertX bags. I found one video on Youtube featuring the left handed bag, and from what I gather so far it looks like the gun pocket opening is on the wrong side of the bag...i.e. the left hand model has it on the correct side for right hand use, but wouldn't work in such a manner since you wear it on the opposite shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post

5. I see this perpetuated a lot but...
    Ditto, especially with the current options that we've detailed in this thread that are not HSGI/Maxpedition DEATHLORDZ 3000 BLACKWATER MANKILLER bags. They look just as at home on a college campus, office building, or financial district as any other sling bag people wear.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    There's a big gray area in-between those two extremes. Here's a bunch of purpose built CCW slings that don't fit your categorization:

The Kelty I like, that's straight REI.

But fair enough, we probably don't see as many of the legit covert options up here, because they're often small companies that may or may not make it easy to order internationally.

Anyway I'm not saying that there are only two categories, Coach Purses and SHEEPWARPUNISHER45.1911, just that I often see gun guys gravitation towards gun brands for stuff that I haven't found is really advantageous, and in some cases actually counterproductive.

Particularly if you're doing something a bit edge-case-y. To me the OP's situation is one where people are more likely to jump to conclusions because he's not just some guy randomly passing them on the street, but a guy with a semi-gun-involved job. That's the kind of task where I would be looking for maximum blend and minimum "if there's one guy at work carrying a gun, it's definitely Bob."
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List