Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sling bag recommendations for Glock 17

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't as I believe they're out of business, but I do believe I have a spare that has your name on it for the price of a coffee and some war stories. Next time I come back stateside we can meet up...can you hold out until late June?

I'll also show you my VertX transit sling, if you're interested....it's pretty slick for rapid draws, as unlike most sling bags it's specifically designed/built for defensive carry.

Here's two videos...lightening speed, and the 2nd one is more realistic for me:

Absolutely, TGS. Look forward to it.

When you look up low speed, high drag in the dictionary you see a photo of me. But, in the summer I sometimes use a commercial bag I bought at Target as a sling bag. I put a piece of rigid plastic corrugated lawn sign material in the outer pocket that is cut to fit, and anchor a Kydex holster to that with a piece of webbing that is pop riveted to the panel. It’s very low tech, but for my non demanding needs it works.

Point is - maybe modifying a piece of “street” gear might be an option?

Name:  A5FB9317-36B0-4A87-95F6-B887FC6C0543.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  12.9 KB

https://www.swissgear.com/swissgear-...ling-bag-black
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

For a very small slingbag I use the Maxpedition Remora with an ITS velcro holster insert.

I just got a larger convertible slingbag/backpack from Dynamis Alliance that's big enough for my laptop and an armored panel. It seems to be what I was looking for in a larger bag although I haven't set it up yet. I will be using a Black Arch Rev-Con holster and mag carrier in it with their velcro adapter plates.

What about one of the hillpeoplegear.com fanny packs? https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../ProductID/129

Jason

I'm curious, what circumstances warrant a pistol in sling bag, instead of traditional on-body carry?

Site Supporter
    Many people utilize waist or, I assume, sling bags for various athletic or sporting activity. Having not planned retirement as well as I should have (good grief, I thought I'd be dead by now), I work for a security agency that has aspirations of transitioning into an armed police agency. While regulations prohibit firearms at work, I can wear a black waist bag during the commute or when off site grabbing dinner. Not ideal in any way, shape, or form, but I might save the lissome manager of the sub shop if I wander in during a robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'm curious, what circumstances warrant a pistol in sling bag, instead of traditional on-body carry?
    The two uses I see:

• Carrying in clothes that don't allow for carry

• Carrying in an environment where you may need to don/doff a gun quickly, frequently, or discreetly

The former could be for visiting some sort of park/attraction with your family, where you won't necessarily be participating in the log flume ride but still want to dress comfortably and appropriately for the venue. It could also be just going for a walk, short day-hike, or some other activity where many people find it more comfortable than to carry a gun, reload, keys, phone, IFAK on their person as opposed to just putting it in a sling bag.

The latter could be working in a business casual environment where guns are either prohibited by policy or simply not addressed, and you don't find your alternative deep concealment methods viable from a concealment, comfort, or practicality standpoint; or working a place where you need to be armed in civilian attire as a matter of practice but then also respond to an alarm and don a full tactical kit as quickly as possible (having a CCW setup on your belt would delay this response time); or having a pattern of life where you could be visiting places with screening and you want to leave your gun locked up in your car safe, but don't want to go through the hassle and risk of uploading/downloading all your suggestive items from your belt.

It's an easy, convenient, turn-key solution for all of these.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The two uses I see:

• Carrying in clothes that don't allow for carry

• Carrying in an environment where you may need to don/doff a gun quickly, frequently, or discreetly
    Thanks for the context. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Gym

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    That would be illegal here so I obviously have no idea. But on a totally unrelated note, my feelings about concealment...

But in general I'll just say that for this kind of thing I MUCH prefer modifying off-the-shelf regular recognizable brands that could have been bought at Target or at most REI, to stuff from anyone who makes 1000D ballistic nylon anything.

You walk around with a sling bag from Adidas, you might just be a guy who thinks soccer is a legitimate sport.

You carry a one-shoulder rendition of the HSGI Warlord, you might as well just tape the gun to your face.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List