Thread: RFI: Ethernet/security wiring in new home construction

RFI: Ethernet/security wiring in new home construction

I am working with a contractor that's supposed to do wiring on a new construction I am building.
    They have a whole host of options, here are the ones I am considering:
    1. Upgrade wiring enclosure to 45" in size @ $285
    2. Add an extra port for WAP @ $95
    3. Do in wall chase tube for TV mounting @ $100

How do these prices look? I did in wall TV mount myself in my location and it ran about $50 + labor.

The houses is also getting prewired for a security system.

In addition they also offer prewiring for security cameras over the ethernet - is it something worth having?
    Any other suggestions for prewiring/upgrades?

What exactly do they mean by wiring enclosure that’s 45” in size?

The extra point for a WAP is another cable so that’s not too far out.

The tube in the wall is just that, a raceway for when you add or replace cables between your tv and other devices. Usually it’s a piece of 1 1/4” innerduct and a couple of low voltage brackets. That price is probably in line with the average as well.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Upgrade enclosure size, what is the standard enclosure size? Would you be better off with a rack?
    Do you know where you would want security camera's? How much per cam? I am guessing they are talking power over ethernet camera's. While that would be a good thing, it would be so only if you know camera locations.
    What about any other devices you would want to be power over ethernet, so you can turn them on, remotely?

Ive never dealt with any security other than hardwired so I cant comment to wireless. I will say no matter what I do I prefer hard wired. Never having to deal with batteries seems like a good thing. I will say it should all be routed so if a cable ever needs to be replaced it can be without tearing out drywall if possible. And since you are in new construction phase I would look at a small separate panel that could be the emergency generator feed and run my security out of that panel.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

This shows their default and upgraded enclosures:

The things that I plan to put in the enclosure are: wireless router, modem(if needed), NAS, switch. Maybe a smallish UPS. I don't think a rack would be needed.

I don't know much about security cameras. The only areas of interest would be front and back of the house (since the back faces woods/preserve and there is no fence).

Site Supporter
    As the owner of an older house with none of these things, I would love to have the larger of the two enclosures in a central location along with wire chases that run to anywhere I expected to have a thermostat, a data port for a computer, a cable outlet for TV (though the latter seems to be less relevant these days between wireless cable boxes and cord cutting), etc. Basically, anything that gets hardwired in place that isn't an outlet would get conduit or a wire chase I could pull new wire or cable through when the technology changes, if I was doing it.

Site Supporter
    Im a proponent of planning ahead and for the minimal expense of adding/upgrading these features during construction versus after the fact, I would do it. That said, I am decidedly NOT an A/V or Networking guy so may be out of my lane.

User Tag List