Thread: I hit perfection

I hit perfection

Ever do something that makes you question what you are seeing? I have been working on a load for the Python and wanted to up the velocity on my coated 158swc to see if I could improve the accuracy. I used AA#7 for powder. I had loaded up a test batch last week and wasn't happy with where they were at. This morning I went over all of my data again and decided to go up on charge weight. I am using a Lee auto disk powder measure, I went from the 7.1cc hole to the 7.6cc, 10.8gr to 11.6gr.

I had my Shooting Crony set up around 12 feet and the target at 15 yards. I run 10 through the WC Ruger and 10 through the Colt not really paying attention to what I was writing down. It wasn't until back at my desk looking at the numbers I realized that this was an exceptional load. I crunched the numbers and was looking at single digit extreme spreads and standard deviation. Thinking I may have errored, I loaded another 20 and went back out. Running a second set shrank the numbers for the Ruger. I had one round that blew the single digits for the Colt. No signs of pressure and brass was falling out before I could hit the ejector. Oh, did I say these are accurate. Just one ragged hole from both guns.

Yes, I have loaded out what brass I have for .357 before it broke anything down. waiting and watching for Starline to make a batch.

Numbers below;

Ruger WC GP100 3"
    20 rounds
    AV 1195
    H1198
    L1189
    ES 9
    SD2.75

Colt Python New Model 4.25"
    20 rounds *lowest removed
    AV1282 *1287
    H1291
    L1274 *1284
    ES 17 *7
    SD 6 *3

Looking good

Nice work, and thanks for sharing. I was looking at this combination, as a mid-range carry load for a 3" GP. Following with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Nice work, and thanks for sharing. I was looking at this combination, as a mid-range carry load for a 3" GP. Following with interest.

To be honest, there is not a lot of .357 being shot right now other than what is needed for load development and a few drills. This time last year I didn't own anything this caliber. I didn't have one until my kids got me a SP101 for my birthday in September last year. I have managed to scrounge a little over 300 pieces of brass and I'm down to 1500 spp. I have no sp magnum primers so I have stayed clear of the magnum powders, H110 and such. Bullets and powder supply is good and I have some factory ammo.

As far as that load goes it has shot well in all three guns now. I shot last months Rangemaster drill 5 times with the SP101 and this load yesterday. It wasn't painful and seemed accurate. I have not cronographed this load or shot for groups out of the SP.

Pictures???

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Pictures???

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. I am bad a not photographing my work mostly because I don't keep my phone on me at home. At least once a day I have to get my wife to call it so I can find it. It has cost me by missing alerts for primers, brass and the Enigma but its ok because I despise being tethered to it.

I being somewhat in your position, looking for a do it all load in 357 for a Kimber K6 and a Ruger GP and a Smith&Wesson, I have stumbled onto a load using HS-6 using 9.1 grains and a spp with a 158 grain SWC. Haven't chronoed it as yet but after shooting 357s since 1968 it feels like a 1.000fps load. The accuracy is outstanding in all three firearms. Recoil is managable and good recovery. Not a barn burner but in such a time as this I'm glad to have a few boxes lying about. Love the SPs, great shooters, always ran mine with a Hogue grip, really dampened recoil and helped with recovery for the next round.

User Tag List