Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 870P: bulking up and resetting the (light) clock

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."

870P: bulking up and resetting the (light) clock

I may be at what my dad would have termed “the ass end” of my shotgunning days, but I am not giving up quite yet.

In the interest of adding weight (for recoil reduction) and some pull length adjustment to my 870P so I can square up a bit less, I am taking the plunge and replacing the old factory Remington reduced LOP synthetic buttstock with a Magpul SGA.

The part where I am still sort of waffling is up front, because I am also considering replacing my old – and now discontinued - GG&G forend/TLR-1 combo with a Surefire forend. A situation arose a while back where the trusty TLR-1 at 3:00 proved to be placed rather too far out to the side, and I have sort of grudgingly come to the conclusion that maybe the 6:00 light on an 870 needs another chance. The Surefire forends weigh more than the Streamlight TL-Rackers, so I plan to go with a DSF-870.

Anyone have thoughts on current production Surefire DSF-870s?
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    I have them. They definitely add weight to the front of the gun. This is enhanced with having a +2 mag tube. Being an SF product, they reliably throw a great number of lumens in the direction they're pointed. Certainly enough to provide positive target ID at shotgun distances. Yes, even when loaded with slugs. They do have a down side (for me). The shape of the fore end bangs on the support hand knuckle pretty good when using a push-pull grip. With regard to recoil reduction, have you tried the Haught "push-pull" method? This provides me with great results. More than just adding mass to the gun. In the end, I decided on a matching Magpul fore grip with a SF mini-scout for 870 applications. It's not a 6:00 mount but it works really well.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I have one as well though I don't have the same issue as @Jason M probably because of a differential in hand size.

I have a +2 as well, so the weight addition is noticeable but for how often I work with my shotgun anymore, I'm okay with it. (A Magpul stock replaced the OEM.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    They do have a down side (for me). The shape of the fore end bangs on the support hand knuckle pretty good when using a push-pull grip. With regard to recoil reduction, have you tried the Haught "push-pull" method? This provides me with great results. More than just adding mass to the gun. In the end, I decided on a matching Magpul fore grip with a SF mini-scout for 870 applications. It's not a 6:00 mount but it works really well.
    Some older Surefires occasionally smacked my left hand back in the day, but not consistently so... which makes me think it might have been a technique thing more than a hardware thing (for me). For reasons unknown, I am bothered more by stuff sticking out to the right or left of a firearm than I used to be- "slick-sided" is growing on me.

I have noodled with the Haught "push-pull" but not seriously (yet); I am going to try it in addition to the added weight, along with attempting a stance sort of between "full-Fudd bladed" and squared-up.

My 870P does have the factory +2 extension now, though I was using a +1 not that long ago. Every ounce counts... just not in the same direction it did when I was a younger cat.
    gn

The most ergonomic SF forends are the originals (i.e. the ones marked "Laser Products" instead of "SureFire"). Each successive model seems to have less and less to recommend it from an ergonomic standpoint. The current crop are not my favorites. That said, the Streamlight models are a nightmare if you're trying to push-pull (which, shameless plug, you should be).

I really wish SF would introduce a modernized version of that original forend, with upgraded internals and a bit more texturing (or even better, some Hogue Overmolded-type rubbery stuff), that weigh less than the originals. That would really be the cat's ass. Unfortunately, the demand from the shooting public just isn't there, and with LE abandoning the gauge as a primary long gun, I don't see enough market to really push development. It's a shame, but there it is.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    The most ergonomic SF forends are the originals (i.e. the ones marked "Laser Products" instead of "SureFire"). Each successive model seems to have less and less to recommend it from an ergonomic standpoint. The current crop are not my favorites. That said, the Streamlight models are a nightmare if you're trying to push-pull (which, shameless plug, you should be).

I really wish SF would introduce a modernized version of that original forend, with upgraded internals and a bit more texturing (or even better, some Hogue Overmolded-type rubbery stuff), that weigh less than the originals. That would really be the cat's ass. Unfortunately, the demand from the shooting public just isn't there, and with LE abandoning the gauge as a primary long gun, I don't see enough market to really push development. It's a shame, but there it is.
    Agree with Matt.

I'd be down for a new LED screw-in doodad for the original Laser Products. I have four on different shotguns, and they are honestly the best, as all have remarked.

Who is our resident lumen expert? He likes shotguns too.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Agree with Matt.

I'd be down for a new LED screw-in doodad for the original Laser Products. I have four on different shotguns, and they are honestly the best, as all have remarked.

Who is our resident lumen expert? He likes shotguns too.
    Malkoff makes 1- and 2-cell replacement heads for them. I need to get around to buying a couple, right now all my old forends are using not-quite-as-old SF LED replacements, which IIRC are about 100 lumens or so.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Malkoff makes 1- and 2-cell replacement heads for them. I need to get around to buying a couple, right now all my old forends are using not-quite-as-old SF LED replacements, which IIRC are about 100 lumens or so.
    I have some nice LED's in there now, but sort of dislike the length of the 2-cell battery tube on an SBS.

I'll look into the Malkoff's. You probably just cost me $500. Again.

By the way, the next time you are down here, I have a pair of nice (old) shotguns for you to play with: Ithaca 37 and a Winchester 1897 riot gun.

I do need to put more effort into technique, as I have soft-pedaled the scattergun for a while.

The Streamlight probably is going to be a draw compared to what I already have - all things considered - but the weight is higher, which is sort of driving this bus.
    gn

I have the Malkoff upgrade in a 90s era SF forend. I’d recommend it

User Tag List