Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 870P: bulking up and resetting the (light) clock

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Especially in recent years, with the prevalence of handstops on carbines all over the place, I've seen numerous students show up with handstops on a shotgun only to run off and remove them during water breaks. I definitely see the benefit in having one on a super-shorty gun just to prevent having your hand jump in front of the muzzle, but it's not something you want to deliberately press up against.
    Yeah, the few times I have had that TLR-1 out there on the forend at 3:00 become an inadvertent, surprise handstop, "unpleasant" was the polite euphemism. Wasn't sure how a more rounded form at 6:00 would work in the long term though I currently have a jones for a 6:00 light... probably not that well. And because I am not a short barrel user, I don't really need a handstop to keep my fingers safe.

I'm not too sure switching to a Magpul M-Lok MOE forend isn't merely a lateral move except for being able to mount a light on either side and being easier to add grip tape to if I decide to do so. At this point, I am seriously considering leaving well enough alone and keeping the GG&G "modified Davis/Speedfeed corncob" forend but getting a low-profile cantilevered mount for an extra scout light I have laying around (and ditching the TLR-1 as a shotgun light).
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I've yet to find a truly good way to mount a light to an 870. They've all got downsides and compromises. If you're talking about a bolt-on arrangement rather than an integral light, about the least annoying way I've seen is to bolt a piece of Pic rail on the strong-side flank of a Magpul handguard, add a U-boat or similar light, and just don't worry about momentary switching. It does add lateral bulk on the right side, which can be an issue if you're like me and perpetually playing Tetris to fit everything in your safes or trying to get it to latch into a rack system, and it isn't great for shooting around the left side of a barricade, but at least it won't be jamming into your fingers/thumb under recoil.

I don't care for the mounts that sandwich between the mag tube and the extension, as they reduce the amount of thread engagement there and that can cause issues. I've even seen one guy strip the threads off his mag tube (the tube itself is hanging in Vang's shop because it was such a freak occurrence) in a class.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I've yet to find a truly good way to mount a light to an 870. They've all got downsides and compromises.
    Agreed. Another case of "there is nothing new under the sun" for me, as when I set this current rig up some years back, it checked off a lot of boxes but had some shortcomings.

In any event, a Magpul M-Lok MOE forend has now been ordered and we shall see what transpires. I already have enough Surefire goodies to make a scout light for it, and I may just get a cantilever M-Lok mount and see if that does the trick (and also keeps my paw away from the thing that makes a spot of light on the wall).

And if the combo proves much lighter than what I already have, there is always a strip of stick-on wheel weights in the shop.
    gn

I've yet to find a truly good way to mount a light to an 870. They've all got downsides and compromises.
    There is no free lunch. Case in point - Steiner MK-7 Battle Light!

Downsides -

Looses extra mag capacity (I cornered the market on these at $49.00 thinking I could figure a way to mount it on a +2 extension, no luck)

Have to take hand off forearm to operate switch. On a Tac-14 you hand is in front of muzzle when doing so - probably a bad thing.

Upsides -

Handy for varmints.

I was using a Magpul fore-end for a good long while on an 870. I took it through one of Daryl's HiTS classes with no problems.

For a light, I mounted a picatinny rail length at 6 o'clock. Then I used a VLTOR offset flashlight mount with a quick-release mount. In that, I put a SureFire 6P-sized light. The light had a press-click on/off tailcap so I could do momentary or just leave it on.

This setup put the light at 5 o'clock with the tailcap in front of my support hand index finger.

I tried it at 7 o'clock but decided driving a flashlight into my extended thumb under recoil would be unpleasant. With the switch at 5 o'clock, it was fussier to work but it was easier to get my index finger out of the way.

I also tried mounting the light to the side so it would be at about 11 o'clock. While this works for a carbine with its elevated front sight, I found the light took up too much of my field of vision on the shotgun.

This was a pretty satisfactory setup and I only replaced with the TL Racker because the TL switch is so much easier and more intuitive. I also like that the TL Racker has fewer places to snag things compared to the Magpul/Surefire setup. If I have any problems with the Streamlight, it will be back to the Magpul.

In its favor, battery changing with the Magpul/Streamlight was a piece of cake. With the quick-release mount, I could easily pull the flashlight off the shotgun and still have a perfectly functional shotgun.

Like every fore-end I've ever tried, the Magpul needed grip tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Dude, if they made a MOE+ version with the rubbery stuff on it like some of their pistol grips, that would go a looooong way towards making me like the forend more.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I wonder if any of the various M-Lok "rail covers" are worth investigating? Running them on a pump shotgun forend is a bit more of a dynamic challenge than just having them sit there and cover slots on a carbine. The Magpul forend does look like it might be easier to apply and keep grip tape on than than a lot of other forends.
    gn

My 870P is now "Magpul-ized" with an SGA stock and MOE M-Lok forend. The easily-removable TLR-1 light will stay at 3:00 but sit a bit further forward as well as a tad higher. The Wilson/Scattergun jumbo head safety stayed on, and the magazine follower that was in there was replaced by a lime green Type 2 from S&J Hardware that I had never gotten around to installing. I think I'm done widdit.

The weight difference is there but is not remarkable: it had been 7.23 pounds for some time, and is now 7.44 pounds. Not much more bulk, thus the potential recoil only dropped by about 3% or so (i think)... so now it's on to technique.

Thanks to all for the ideas.
    gn

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    My 870P is now "Magpul-ized" with an SGA stock and MOE M-Lok forend. The easily-removable TLR-1 light will stay at 3:00 but sit a bit further forward as well as a tad higher. The Wilson/Scattergun jumbo head safety stayed on, and the magazine follower that was in there was replaced by a lime green Type 2 from S&J Hardware that I had never gotten around to installing. I think I'm done widdit.

The weight difference is there but is not remarkable: it had been 7.23 pounds for some time, and is now 7.44 pounds. Not much more bulk, thus the potential recoil only dropped by about 3% or so (i think)... so now it's on to technique.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

Hope it works out for you, GN. Please keep us posted.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    My 870P is now "Magpul-ized" with an SGA stock and MOE M-Lok forend. The easily-removable TLR-1 light will stay at 3:00 but sit a bit further forward as well as a tad higher.
    Got a pic of the light setup? Maybe it’s the lack of coffee and the fact I just installed my Magpul furniture so I haven’t started looking at how to mount goodies, but I’m having a hard time picturing your setup.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List