Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Convert 4” 686 to 2.5”?

Should I Convert 4” 686 to 2.5”?

I rarely carry my 4” 686 Plus, but do carry my 2.5” model. A new 2.5” barrel would cost $140, and I would have Dave Olhasso install it (price not known). Based on Lucky Gunner’s testing, the 2” and 4” revolvers give similar results in ballistic gel. I know that’s not the ultimate test, but it’s something: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...llistics-test/ Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Unless you carry the 2.5 exclusively over anything else and want a trainer for it, I vote no. While it's not a primary carry gun, the 4-inch has more versatility, it's a little more pleasant on the range and it's a wash in the house. Everybody should have a 4-inch .357.

Of course, I would consider converting a 4-inch to a 3-inch. Even though it would have bankrupted me at the time, I still kick myself for not buying one of those no-lock 3-inch 686s that used to be falling off the shelves of Sports Authority in the mid-90s.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Unless you carry the 2.5 exclusively over anything else and want a trainer for it, I vote no. While it's not a primary carry gun, the 4-inch has more versatility, it's a little more pleasant on the range and it's a wash in the house. Everybody should have a 4-inch .357.

Of course, I would consider converting a 4-inch to a 3-inch. Even though it would have bankrupted me at the time, I still kick myself for not buying one of those no-lock 3-inch 686s that used to be falling off the shelves of Sports Authority in the mid-90s.
    +1 on both paragraphs.

Another “no” vote.

Ballistics are definitely improved, and depending on your holster it’s no harder to conceal IMO.

Well, I bought a very comfortable shoulder holster for the 4”, but I still reach for the 2.5”. I have been carrying the 2.5” in a 3” OWB holster, and a 3” barrel costs the same as the 2.5”. I have a 4” Model 627, so I’d still have a longer barrel DA/SA. I dunno...

How much to cut the 4" barrel down to 3"?

Cant really use the luckygunner data for anything besides velocity data

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How much to cut the 4" barrel down to 3"?
    I haven’t asked Dave for the install price, but a 3” barrel is $140 from Midwest Gunworks. I didn’t like the way the factory filed extractor looked (it was a bit slow timed as well), and Dave did a great job cutting a new one.

I think he meant actually cutting it. Not reinstalling a different barrel. I cut my 4” 67 down to a 3”. Added benefit of keeping the full length ejection rod.

Name:  6F7D99CF-A8B3-446F-8139-2AE82D933EB7.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  101.2 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

@03RN and @Lon I don’t know. I suppose the initial CHOP wouldn’t be difficult, but adding the sight might make it a wash.

ETA I’m more of a carry, rather than range gun guy. I do like to have duplicates of what I carry, and I do shoot regularly at the range. If Wu Flu wasn’t limiting supply, I’d just buy another snub 686.
    Last edited by FrankB; 04-30-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I rarely carry my 4” 686 Plus, but do carry my 2.5” model. A new 2.5” barrel would cost $140, and I would have Dave Olhasso install it (price not known). Based on Lucky Gunner’s testing, the 2” and 4” revolvers give similar results in ballistic gel. I know that’s not the ultimate test, but it’s something: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...llistics-test/ Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    I believe you'd also have to change the ejector rod, too. You wouldn't for a 3" barrel.

I have a 2.5" Model 19 and a 3" Model 65. The difference in carrying the two guns IWB is negligible. So I'd stick with a 3" barrel; it's a tad more effective and you get a full-length ejector rod.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List