Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Convert 4” 686 to 2.5”?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I believe you'd also have to change the ejector rod, too. You wouldn't for a 3" barrel.
    A 3” barrel would be fine, because my 3” holster doesn’t dig into my Miata’s seats. I’m 6’2”, and like small roadsters. I had an MG Midget in 1978, and that was a tight fit. 😳

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I rarely carry my 4” 686 Plus, but do carry my 2.5” model. A new 2.5” barrel would cost $140, and I would have Dave Olhasso install it (price not known). Based on Lucky Gunner’s testing, the 2” and 4” revolvers give similar results in ballistic gel. I know that’s not the ultimate test, but it’s something: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...llistics-test/ Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Hey, do you want to trade your 4” 686+ for my 3” 686+?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Hey, do you want to trade your 4” 686+ for my 3” 686+?
    Is it nearly new?

Is it nearly new?
    I like it a lot and not keen on replacing it. So if it doesn’t work for you, I’m happy to keep it!

Name:  C921C905-FAEA-4897-9A1F-849421E3DB62.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  AAEA098D-E1F3-4D91-87D4-B47FE21CEEF7.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  F9E3C993-5CDB-44CA-8A3D-342F5B35CC29.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  51.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I like it a lot and not keen on replacing it. So if it doesn’t work for you, I’m happy to keep it!
    Very Nice! I’m waiting for a quote from Dave, and then I’ll get back to you.
    Here are two videos of my 686’s, and 627/686 shoulder holster. The videos also show where my thoughts are on long vs short barrel:
    https://youtu.be/3oS8PJKvDNU

https://youtu.be/N9iX5gDng3w

Be kind, folks. I’m longwinded... 🤣

Site Supporter
    After seeing this, I'm wondering how much I'd have to file down the front sight to make it work with my 681...

Site Supporter
    Keep the 4 inch status. Since you already have a 2.5 inch version, you would gain nothing by changing barrels or chopping the barrel. You would lose sight radius and lose a tad of control. About carrying it while driving your sports car. Buy a holster that sits higher on the belt. Right now you have versatility with the 4 and 2.5 inch lengths.
    Last edited by willie; 04-30-2021 at 09:53 PM.

@03RN and @Lon I don’t know. I suppose the initial CHOP wouldn’t be difficult, but adding the sight might make it a wash.

ETA I’m more of a carry, rather than range gun guy. I do like to have duplicates of what I carry, and I do shoot regularly at the range. If Wu Flu wasn’t limiting supply, I’d just buy another snub 686.
    Having a 3" gun with a nice new tritium front sight and a full length ejector rod would make a great primary. Then your 2.5" gun could be backup.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Keep the 4 inch status. Since you already have a 2.5 inch version, you would gain nothing by changing barrels or chopping the barrel. You would lose sight radius and lose a tad of control. About carrying it while driving your sports car. Buy a holster that sits higher on the belt. Right now you have versatility with the 4 and 2.5 inch lengths.
    Whatever I decide to do with the 4” 686, I’ll still have my 4” M627. I bought a nice shoulder holster that will fit both revolvers.
    Name:  C46999D0-02D5-4F26-8F5F-4E53D8229C3A.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  36.7 KB

Site Supporter
    I'd go with the 3 inch, whether you swap the barrel or chop it. For the reasons others have already stated. Full length ejector rods are a definite plus.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List