Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Cooper and the Creation of IPSC

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Maybe another P-F guy I have met but don't know...
    Probably. I've shot nearly every pistol match at Fort Harmar since Sept 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Probably. I've shot nearly every pistol match at Fort Harmar since Sept 1981.
    Or maybe not, I probably was only there a time or two, most of my matches were at Butler County Sportsman's Club. I know the avatar pic is from Butler County, not sure about this picture. I didn't have a very close relationship with a barber in those days...

Name:  20190714_143243.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  49.4 KB

Or maybe not, I probably was only there a time or two, most of my matches were at Butler County Sportsman's Club. I know the avatar pic is from Butler County, not sure about this picture. I didn't have a very close relationship with a barber in those days...

Name:  20190714_143243.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  49.4 KB
    Man, that's some old school. Who is everybody in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Man, that's some old school. Who is everybody in the picture?
    My friend Rick Miller on Ken's right, my friend Jack on his left, and the bushy head kid is me (I was maybe only 19-20yo...).

Chuck Rogers
    www.RogersPrecision.com
    Cheap-Fast-Good............pick any two.

My friend Rick Miller on Ken's right, my friend Jack on his left, and the bushy head kid is me (I was maybe only 19-20yo...).
    Is that the Rick Miller that had the column in Combat Handguns magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Is that the Rick Miller that had the column in Combat Handguns magazine?
    Yup!

L to R:
    Ray Chapman
    Elden Carl
    Thell Reed
    Jeff Cooper
    Jack Weaver
    Chuck Rogers
    www.RogersPrecision.com
    Cheap-Fast-Good............pick any two.

Site Supporter
    I shot my first IPSC match in March of 1978 with a borrowed gun.

I was the secretary for the local club through the 80s. One of the guys on the PD was the section coordinator for a while, and then later on one of my best friends was the SO.

I still shoot USPSA and IDPA but since the 'rona hit I have only shot classifier matches. I really enjoy those. Regular monthly matches don't interest me much any more, but if/when the ammunition situation improves, I'll go back to shooting a local match once in a while.

It was neat to be involved in the sport back then as it was developed and then began to evolve.

new to the site been around shooting a while.

I think it has lost a lot of the practical element as the founders pointed out

I wasn't shooting anything in 78 don't think I fired my first round till about 88

I shot my first USPSA match this last weekend with my 18 year old son.

we have both been shooting club level action pistol for a while myself about 10 years and him since he turned 12.

when I started with action pistol it was with the Smith M39 single stack 9mm I bought when I was 18 I bought my first glock 17 not long after.

I chased holsters and equipment to get faster and make shooting easier I was on a tight budget but bought some stuff cast most of my own bullets at the time to keep it affordable . in not very long I found myself going in the direction of making it really good practice and not worrying about speed that isn't to say I didn't get faster I did but chasing speed by making me better and not worrying about shaving seconds with gear.

got to where I was drawing from concealment , wearing all my gear to the range besides my ear muffs , some times I even shot with just ear plugs I could keep in my pocket the only thing I took out of my bag was boxes of ammo and work gloves to wear during stage setup.
    It was and is very good practice my carry load shoots to the same POA/POI as my practice ammo

at the Match this weekend I feel like I did ok , I focused on running it clean and let the time be what it was
    I really enjoyed the stages and look forward to shooting many more

I think USPSA could use a Carry division something along the lines of gun not to exceed 5 inches of barrel length and not more than 32oz with a 20 round max something you would actually carry

Production is what I shot and probably where I will stay unless I go limited just to be able to fill my mags to capacity.
    running a mostly stock Glock puts it at disadvantage against guns that weigh twice as much.

and it may be that IDPA is the game to play for more practical practice however it is not popular in WI the only matches seem to be hours away

could we grow the sport more if a division was set up to a working mans gun?
    something where you could be on par with others running basically out of the box 4-600 dollar guns or do people immediately get discouraged running against a CZ Shadow II at 46.5 oz if loaded to 10 rounds it can play in Production.

the other thing I am not so sure about is Major scoring , I don't think it has as much of a place as it maybe once did. we are at a place where a quality personal defense round in 9mm , 45acp or 40s&W are honestly all very close to each other in FPE they are calibrated to stop in the same range in ballistics gel >12 inches and <18

looking at ammo comparisons 9mm 40 and 45 are often within an inch or two of each other in the same calibrated gel tests and less difference in FPE than a 22lr.

even on things like effectiveness on bear we aren't seeing major differences in the 3 common duty calibers. Hits on target matter more than power factor

at what point does 0.048 inches make a bad shot a good shot other than maybe on a target you broke the line or you didn't but given pressed in scoring lines on carboard targets even that will be splitting hairs.

I am just going to keep running close to how I carry , make it good practice and enjoy it for competing against myself.

User Tag List