Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: what is it with simple looking, expensive "defensive" knifes

There’s also northmanactual as the other tag name.

https://instagram.com/northmanactual...dium=copy_link

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    There’s also northmanactual as the other tag name.

https://instagram.com/northmanactual...dium=copy_link
    Yes! Found this one last night, lots of good stuff on there.

Thanks gents.

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    While the blades you listed are all excellent, some of the prices are not reasonable. Some blades/makers are trending with certain groups and those people are willing to snatch up all the available stock and pay outrageous prices to get their hands on those knives. Ultimately, I don't think you can blame any of the makers, people will pay what they think is reasonable for them.

The Shivworks production Clinch Pick is not a good comparison in this regard, because this knife is specifically designed as a low cost, mass produced self defense knife and openly marketed as such. So it is not trying to be something it is not. Craig is selling these at a reasonable price for what they are. Now let's take a look at the fancy Ban Tang Knives version of the Clinch Pick. It is made in the USA by a custom knifemaker in CPM-3V steel and a fantastic edge grind. Does that make it worth $340 to you compared to the standard production model? That's a question only you can answer for yourself. I personally would consider the Ban Tang version to be reasonably priced as well.

Another very interesting example: the Amtac Blades Northman. It is an excellent, well thought out blade with a cool sheath system and even comes with a training blade. However, the biggest secret about these knives that you will never get an answer to is where they are made. Trust me, I've asked several times, never gotten a reply. So again the question is: is a well designed blade in M390 steel and good kydex sheath and training blade worth $450 to you (knowing that it is probably mass produced in China)?
    More importantly for me is there is the grip is too short; your hand is AWFULLY CLOSE to a very sharp blade. Give me an extra 1/2" and a guard such that my hand will not move forward and I'd purchase two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    More importantly for me is there is the grip is too short; your hand is AWFULLY CLOSE to a very sharp blade. Give me an extra 1/2" and a guard such that my hand will not move forward and I'd purchase two.
    The minuteman or Magnus would be better suited for you. as you probably already know, the northman makes some compromises for maximum concealment or convenience in pocket carry. For full sized hands, a full forward grip or reverse grip is not viable.

When in reverse grip, the designer intended for you to thumb cap and reinforce the thumb cap with the index finger. In forward grip, the punyo is to be tucked into the palm by the pinky and ring fingers for the palm assisted thrusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Controlledpairs2 View Post
    The minuteman or Magnus would be better suited for you. as you probably already know, the northman makes some compromises for maximum concealment or convenience in pocket carry. For full sized hands, a full forward grip or reverse grip is not viable.

When in reverse grip, the designer intended for you to thumb cap and reinforce the thumb cap with the index finger. In forward grip, the punyo is to be tucked into the palm by the pinky and ring fingers for the palm assisted thrusting.
    Their website does not give dimensions but from the videos I've seen people's hands still seem awfully close.

I'll give them a call.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Their website does not give dimensions but from the videos I've seen people's hands still seem awfully close.

I'll give them a call.

Thank you.
    My hands are small, so I can get a full reverse and forward grip on a northman.

Here, I am holding a Magnus trainer (Magnus and Minuteman handles are the same size). My small hands leave 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of space. I know this doesnt give you exact dimensions but I hope it helps in a small way.
    Name:  magnus.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  27.4 KB

The best way to figure out if a knife "fits", IMO, is to just make a trainer. Find picture of knife on internet, resize the picture to IRL dimensions, print, trace onto a piece of wood or plastic cutting board, cut out.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

User Tag List