Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: what is it with simple looking, expensive "defensive" knifes

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    I believe this Frenchman's knifes are what you may be referring to:
    Looks like the "Stabby" to me, and now I want one.

https://www.tonylopesblades.com/nouveautes

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Looks like the "Stabby" to me, and now I want one.

https://www.tonylopesblades.com/nouveautes
    Pikal AF
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

This is the one we are trying to find

Not the Lopes, which are some nice blades.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I realize that it’s a departure from the particular style of knives most of the thread participants carry but, what about Randall Made Knives? Does anyone own one? Is the juice really worth that much squeeze?

I get there’s a cult following of certain makers and/or brands and I get there’s a charge for materials and for craftsmanship. Every time I see one I think how neat it would be to own one and then wonder what possible advantages it would provide over my first Gen DPx HEST?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I realize that it’s a departure from the particular style of knives most of the thread participants carry but, what about Randall Made Knives? Does anyone own one? Is the juice really worth that much squeeze?

I get there’s a cult following of certain makers and/or brands and I get there’s a charge for materials and for craftsmanship. Every time I see one I think how neat it would be to own one and then wonder what possible advantages it would provide over my first Gen DPx HEST?
    I own a 1-7 with the sharpened clip.

Yes it is worth the squeeze, IMO.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I own a 1-7 with the sharpened clip.

Yes it is worth the squeeze, IMO.
    What makes it worth that sort of money?
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    What makes it worth that sort of money?
    Keep in mind that I got mine in the late 90s and I haven't been keeping up with prices.

I imagine that, on paper, it doesn't look like there's much that differentiates it from other cheaper but quality knives but when you hold one in your hands, that changes. I can't really explain it better than that; the way to moves in, and with the hand is something that I don't get from any other knife of its size and purpose; everything else is too heavy, or too light, or balanced wrong somehow.

I wish I could give you something truly objective to use but the above is the best I've got :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Keep in mind that I got mine in the late 90s and I haven't been keeping up with prices.

I imagine that, on paper, it doesn't look like there's much that differentiates it from other cheaper but quality knives but when you hold one in your hands, that changes. I can't really explain it better than that; the way to moves in, and with the hand is something that I don't get from any other knife of its size and purpose; everything else is too heavy, or too light, or balanced wrong somehow.

I wish I could give you something truly objective to use but the above is the best I've got :-)
    I would accept that as a quantitative reason.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Don't know if you folks are aware but unfortunately Northman passed. Frank passed back in September from COVID complications. We are severely diminished!

https://kileyfuneralhome.com/tribute.../obituary.html

Thanks for posting this, thought it was great! Parts 1 & 2 are the best hour I've spent on my martial learning in a long, long time. I thought part 3 was a little drier, but definitely worth watching just on principle.

I've tried Frank Windler and Northman when searching Instagram and have yet to find his account, I take it there are some drills on there I'd very much like to see...can anyone help a brother out?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post

I've tried Frank Windler and Northman when searching Instagram and have yet to find his account, I take it there are some drills on there I'd very much like to see...can anyone help a brother out?
    https://www.instagram.com/northmanblades/

User Tag List