Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: what is it with simple looking, expensive "defensive" knifes

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I think the sheath separates it from the mass produced knives.
    Bingo. And the hook (“punyo”) on the end of the handle to help in the draw.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    That hook also looks like it would prevent an edge-in reverse grip with the thumb over the pommel. That makes it a no-go for a defensive blade for me. Also, that point is too delicate with a single edge grind and is something I wouldn’t personally carry.

And this is what frustrates me. Knives are simple things like our Canadian friend mentions, but there there are so many small details that I would change on so many production and customs that I have a hard time spending over $100 bucks on something that I would be compelled to take to grinder to make it how I want it.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    That hook also looks like it would prevent an edge-in reverse grip with the thumb over the pommel.
    Yeah it’s not designed for that grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Has that been a big problem? Before you bought the Northman, were you missing your draw because your handle didn't have the hook?

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Has that been a big problem? Before you bought the Northman, were you missing your draw because your handle didn't have the hook?
    The sheath for the Northman is designed for pocket carry. So, though I don't own one, I can see how, in THAT carry position, having that hook on the end could help with the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    The sheath for the Northman is designed for pocket carry. So, though I don't own one, I can see how, in THAT carry position, having that hook on the end could help with the draw.
    Yes the hook is important due to the sheath design.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    I think it helped me at a recent FoF class. I was in a FUT and was able to spontaneously pluck a Northman training blade from the role player's pocket and start imitating the afore mentioned monkey.

That's not a slam on the design - I like the knife. But it's a non starter for me because carrying a concealed fixed blade knife in my jurisdiction is a felony.

As an aside, that's the second time I've used an opponent's knife against him in FoF. I think that speaks to the value of having one's defensive tools well concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I think it helped me at a recent FoF class. I was in a FUT and was able to spontaneously pluck a Northman training blade from the role player's pocket and start imitating the afore mentioned monkey.

That's not a slam on the design - I like the knife. But it's a non starter for me because carrying a concealed fixed blade knife in my jurisdiction is a felony.

As an aside, that's the second time I've used an opponent's knife against him in FoF. I think that speaks to the value of having one's defensive tools well concealed.
    I have a Northman and really like the design. However, I had this exact thing happen to me on several occasions in a FoF class, where my opponent (a Sayoc "tribe" guy) plucked the trainer version out of my pocket and made lots of pretend holes in me. It was eye opening.

I'm back to concealing off-hand in the belt.

My favorite use for the Northman now is deep pocket sheathed in the right back pocket of a bike jersey while riding.

There is some luxury branding and pride of ownership going on. Tracker Dan blades are expensive because they are hard to get. You see the same with Half Face Blades.

I used to have a Trace Rinaldi clinch pick because the blade offers a unique capability. As soon as the china picks appeared I sold it and now have four picks and won't cry about ditching one.

The AMTAC Northman has a unique sheath design that lets me carry carry it like a folder. I remember @SouthNarc has a P'kal fixed blade made by someone in Germany with the same features. I tried for a while to buy one and could not. As soon as someone copies it for a bill I'll be selling my northman.

So two markets. 1) on function 2) pride of ownership. A knife can be expensive for (1) if it has no option and a lower price point. (2) is all about the high price and availability. Toor knives is interesting as they are producing high quality knives at 2 bill prices.

@underhook: all the way. I’m of the same mind: all my Ban Tangs are gone, but I still have several redundant china picks—among other mass-produced pikalish blades.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List