Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Precise looking vs precise aiming

@Clusterfrack, thank you for defining your terms early. Great thread.

Excellent points, although I have found it gets problematic with bad vision.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    MickAK what sights are you using with what targets?
    Heinie Ledge. I start out with a pack of neon 3x5 cards (Orange,Yellow,Red,Blue), then once that's going smooth I go to 3x5 cutouts of the thin cardboard packing material that comes in T-shirt packs and the like to make the color match the target more closely. Once that's going well I trace out the 3x5 with a light pencil.

My biggest recent improvement in shooting has come from improving my precision of looking at the intended POI.
    This is a fundamental of archery, particularly bowhunting on game. “Pick a spot” is an absolutely fundamental aspect of placing accurate shots on animals.

And humans have been doing that successfully for many thousands of years.

Quote Originally Posted by James Parker View Post
    how can i focus on the target and dot at the same time?
    You don’t. You focus on the spot on the target and allow the dot (or streak) to appear on the spot.

On a somewhat related point, I’ve been switching between dot and irons quite a bit lately and have found that target focus works pretty well out to 25 yards with the irons- I think, partly because my index has improved over the years of shooting a dot. It’s not *quite* as precise as the dot, of course, but quite serviceable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by James Parker View Post
    how can i focus on the target and dot at the same time?
    The dot is actually a beam of collimated light (laser), so it can appear to be “in focus” when your eye is focused on distant objects.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Sorry to be pedantic about this, but most pistol-mounted RDS don’t actually use a laser emitter- they use a small regular LED emitter reflecting from a convex lens precisely tuned to focus the emitter very precisely at “infinity”. Generally these are actually set to a specific distance, inside and outside of which there will be a certain (usually small) degree of parallax.

Holosights use a laser that shoots vertically into the photo-etched holographic film between the lenses to illuminate the holograph image. Laser LEDs generally use a great deal more power than the regular LED emitters used in RDS.

It’s noteworthy to point out that an actual pistol or rifle laser should be treated the same as an RDS- target focused.

I’ve been a front sight guy but decided to play around with target focus tonight with the Sirt. I had a target focus on the PT but could
    see a silhouette of the front and rear sight. I was consistently high but overall not too bad, if ammo didn’t cost a kidney I’d try live fire.

13 yards from pressout

Name:  858047D5-DDC8-455F-973A-79A239F8DCF0.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  18.0 KB

7 yards low ready

Name:  E483D30C-7DBC-4635-8F4D-64228EEE4CF0.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  18.4 KB

13 yards aimed in on target

Name:  9A9F877B-56E7-401F-B03B-674F3AD9C7E7.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  18.9 KB

I’ll probably play with it some more as I also flirt with a RDS.

Good shooting, @Bratch. Maybe try it while moving? I think that’s the type of shooting where looking at the spot you need to hit really pays off. Group shooting on static targets less so.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I’ll play with it. I’m working down a hallway so will be more forward and back movement at distance. The room opens up around 5 yds so I should be able to do some lateral movements and angels at closer ranges.

I did some presentations at 7 yards and would launch the occasional “round” over the target. For me every miss was high, I noticed if I presented the gun way high into the eye line before starting the pressout the hits were better. If I started pressout a low I tended to look over the top and push high.

User Tag List