Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magwell option for Dan Wesson 1911

I personally will only use a magwell with the front enclosed, on a serious use pistol. After seeing a S&A type magwell pinch a mag after getting smashed, the unsupported sides make me nervous

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I personally will only use a magwell with the front enclosed, on a serious use pistol. After seeing a S&A type magwell pinch a mag after getting smashed, the unsupported sides make me nervous
    Kyle Lamb mentions the opposite in “Stay in the Fight”. His argument is that malfunctions requiring magazine removal are harder to clear on a 1911 if the front is enclosed. I’ve seen this happen several times on other pistols. Not enough people I know shoot 1911s with mag wells for me to have seen either scenario on a 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    Kyle Lamb mentions the opposite in “Stay in the Fight”. His argument is that malfunctions requiring magazine removal are harder to clear on a 1911 if the front is enclosed. I’ve seen this happen several times on other pistols. Not enough people I know shoot 1911s with mag wells for me to have seen either scenario on a 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kyle is of course, right. But a properly pinched magwell wont let a mag come out of the gun at all. The Navy SEAL that helped C&S develop the Trident model also told of the time his 1911 magwell got pinched, relegating the gun to a fixed mag pistol (I knew I should've saved that story). The later models of trident could be ordered with a weld-on magwell, with the front removed.

User Tag List