Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bees swarm kills a person

Bees swarm kills a person

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/be...cid=entnewsntp

Terrible story. This place is about 100 miles west of Fort Worth.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/be...cid=entnewsntp

Terrible story. This place is about 100 miles west of Fort Worth.

Man so sad. Last year I was greeted by bees covering part of my front porch.

A local preacher came out and got them.

Having a swarm of bees move into my house is a longstanding phobia of mine, and not uncommon here in PNG.

A few years back, I stayed at a nice guest house in Kudjip PNG, and sure enough, there was a nest of bees in the bathroom wall. I had to carefully sweep the bees off the floor whenever I needed to use the restroom, and leave the light off.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Years ago I found a bunch, maybe 50, dead hornets in my bedroom. Apparently they came thru the ceiling but died eating all that sheet rock. The next day I got on the roof and found the hive entrance. I took most of them out with spray. Wasn't going into the crawl space/attic with a hive of hornets in there. Nope. I've been stung by hornets enough to know when it's prudent to have an exit strategy.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-27-2021 at 07:35 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I may have shot a wasps nest with a pellet gun when was maybe 9 or 10 while I was out messing around in the woods with my brother. Turns out wasps don't fuck around. We each ended up with 20+ stings and my parents were still picking live wasps out of my hair an hour later. On the plus side, we found out how fast we could run, which turned out to be pretty fast.

I had a nest of bald faced hornets (mean little bastards) in my flower bed. I should've known it was there since my dog had been stung in the vicinity a week earlier but I'm an idiot. Anyway, I was mowing the grass and something flew in my face but I thought I'd just kicked up some debris or something. Then they came for me. Now, luckily, I was wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt w/ built-in hood so I only was stung once even though there were lots of them still in my clothes as I ripped them off in my driveway. Back to the mower: I'm also lazy and the control lever is tight so I just slide a zip tie over it. Once I realized these are stinger-assed things attacking me and bailed, the mower kept running due to the zip tie. Observed for a minute and decided I wasn't going back out since they were super pissed and it was clearly near the hive. Once it finally ran out of gas, I went back to retrieve the mower which had made the world's largest hornet salad. Then I sprayed all around just in case because those things are bad to the bone.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    I may have shot a wasps nest with a pellet gun when was maybe 9 or 10 while I was out messing around in the woods with my brother. Turns out wasps don't fuck around. We each ended up with 20+ stings and my parents were still picking live wasps out of my hair an hour later. On the plus side, we found out how fast we could run, which turned out to be pretty fast.
    Seen that, multiple stings with several people I worked with. Had to take one guy to the hospital because his head was the size of a basket ball. Then he tells me he's allergic. My question was why he wasn't prepared for that or maybe not even working in the woods during the summer in first place?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Ages ago, I was weedeating a scrapyard at my college. I spotted a yellowjacket perched on a discarded aluminum screen door frame, and pondered popping him with the trimmer.

Happily, wisdom intervened, and I went back for the wasp spray. I gave him, and the inside of the square tubing a good shot of spray, and it was like the dying yellowjacket faucet was turned on. Hundreds of the suckers poured out of the tube to flop down and die twitching on the ground.

And I was very happy to avoid the potential consequences of my first inclination.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    The only good thing about being attacked by a swarm of bees is that it’s one of the few times in life where the correct response is to scream “BEES!” and run away as fast as you can. In other situations you have to calm down and actually do stuff like stop drop and roll if you’re on fire. Or apply direct pressure or a tq if you’re bleeding heavily.

But, not with bees. Nope, screaming like a frightened child and hauling ass away while smacking yourself and tearing off your clothes like you’re on PCP generally takes care of the problem.

Well, unless you’re on a ladder or riding a motorcycle or doing something else that’s dangerous. But, as long as you’re on flat ground and don’t have a chainsaw in your hands...
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The only good thing about being attacked by a swarm of bees is that it’s one of the few times in life where the correct response is to scream “BEES!” and run away as fast as you can. In other situations you have to calm down and actually do stuff like stop drop and roll if you’re on fire. Or apply direct pressure or a tq if you’re bleeding heavily.

But, not with bees. Nope, screaming like a frightened child and hauling ass away while smacking yourself and tearing off your clothes like you’re on PCP generally takes care of the problem.

Well, unless you’re on a ladder or riding a motorcycle or doing something else that’s dangerous. But, as long as you’re on flat ground and don’t have a chainsaw in your hands...
    I was doing a climb years ago in the Shawangunks in NY, and put my hand into a crack that turned out to be a hornet's nest. I was too high up to go anywhere so I just pressed my face against the rock and remarkably, I wasn't stung. Another time there was a small copperhead, I was low enough to jump back without concern for falling down the face if my belayer wasn't ready.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List